How Many WR Will/Should Miami Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Many WR Will/Should Miami Draft?

I think the Fins will carry 6 next year just because you can’t count on Preston Williams at this point, but he’s too good to give up on. Need to sign a WR in FA so you aren’t drafting one out of need:

Parker
Preston
Bowden
Hurns (no real savings by cutting him, but could be a casualty for a roster spot)
FA WR
Draft WR
That’s the 3 I’m keeping, Park, Pres, and Bow. Pick 2 in draft, 1 FA, or 1 and 1 and keep Hurns or Wilson. The rest are gone. What I would hope anyway.

Just one. We need a true No. 1 WR, and we still have Parker, Williams, Wilson, and Gisecki. Part of our lack of production at the position was due to injuries/Covid, not because we lacked players. Not sure we need to spend more that 1 pick on WR.

I could see us drafting a developmental prospect on day 3 for depth, but I don’t see 2 high picks on WRs.

Only guy I really want to move on from is Grant. If Wilson and Hurns show up 100% in camp they're more than worth their salary, not to mention we'd hardly save anything dumping them. This FO seem to like honoring the contracts they give out and seem to hate death cap.

If we move Bowden to KR/PR and gadget plays and keep Wilson in the slot we'd have room for one more slot.

So, if we dump Grant, I can see two, a deep threat and a slot.

Smith
Parker
Eskridge
Hurns
Williams
Wilson

KR/PR Bowden

I think it comes down to what is achieved in FA, but we definitely need 2 new WR that can be starters. I hope to never see Jakeem Grant line up as a Dolphins receiver again.

Grant fell out of favor with me last season. It looked to me like he was playing carelessly and holding the football like a turkey. I would be yelling at the TV, just go down they're gonna strip you!!!!!

Grant fell out of favor with me last season. It looked to me like he was playing carelessly and holding the football like a turkey. I would be yelling at the TV, just go down they're gonna strip you!!!!!
God I am with you there.

I was very unkind to Mr Grant verbally while watching some games this year.

Especially the KC game. :bang:

Part of our lack of production at the position was due to injuries/Covid, not because we lacked players. Not sure we need to spend more that 1 pick on WR.
I disagree with this... Most of the Fins lack of production last year was due to the fact that they're all tall receivers who cant separate, do nothing with the ball in their hands after the catch and cant stay healthy. Moving an offense built almost exculsively with these types of receivers is basically impossible without throwing a huge amount of INTs... They're all built for the red zone offense except for Grant who's flat out unreliable at this point.

Im not a cap guy but I'd replace as many as I can without screwing with the cap too much. Maybe I'd keep Parker because his salary is friendly and Wilson depending on how he looks after missing a year, because he's a true fit for an accurate QB with good instincts. But even then, I'd be really happy to go after Samuel to replace him depending on price.

a7464417e47110c37f36e6f5c36c4588.jpg

It's gonna be a real knife fight in the Miami WR room...

Many dolfans want expect the phins to select a WR in the 1st round, I am of the opinion they need a minimum 2 WR draft picks.
Ideally one would be a Z type receiver and the other a slot/jet sweep type guy with lots of speed(Eskridge,Atwell,Waddel).

I dont know how Albert Wilson or Jakeem Grant fits in these roles both might be more of the slot type however I'm not sold on either if pressed to keep one Wilson would get the nod.

I'm curious to get your feedback on how many WR the phins should pick in the draft.
If we keep Wilson and sign a FA (Godwin or JuJu) I'd focus on Bateman and Eskridge. Make Preston and Bowden, and Hollins fight for one spot.

I've been enjoying the feedback

I'm torn between what I feel the team will do and what I believe they should do.

My gut tells me they will trick themselves into believing they are ok "if" everyone returns as in.....

Parker
Hurns
Williams
Bowden
Wilson
From here the may look to replace Grant with either a FA(samuels)
Or a draft pick(2nd-3rd)
For me this is a mistake.

I believe they should rebuild this position group with a mix of fa & draft picks
I like a number of draft eligible players
I would go about it something like this

Parker
Williams
Wilson
Bowden
*fa1 of these player- Agulhor, Samuels,Godwin,M.Jones
*draft 2 of these players-D.Smith,Waddle,Chase,Eskridge,Toney,Atwell.

Carry 7 wr is uncommon however with william,parker and Wilson injuries are a concern I'd have protection with depth.

Though I strongly feel Grier will do something surprising on draft day and potentially disappointing as well, lol

I think the team realizes the offense desperately needs at least one guy who is good at getting quick separation.

They were the worst team in the League last year in that area and while some of that was due to Parker and Williams missing games, neither of those guys are sudden, quick types anyway.

Not to mention the foolishness of counting on either of them to suddenly become durable and reliable players.

I do not believe in expensive FA WR's, that is almost always a mistake.

So the Draft it is, one in the 1st round seems almost a lock.

I will be very surprised that barring a big FA WR mistake(I mean signing)one of Chase, Smith or Waddle is not a Dolphin next year.

You can throw Pitts in there too as he would impact Tua as much as the top 3 WR's would.

I forget where I read it (I think it was one of the local beat writers), but the gist was that the team felt they needed/wanted guys who could separate and specifically an outside guy, a slot guy and a gadget guy. It was clear according to the article that they saw those as three different categories of WR. The gadget guy was a potential upgrade over Bowden and Perry. It didn't seem like they felt they had a slot. Grant wasn't what they'd hoped he'd be and it was implied that they would cut ties with Wilson. And they didn't have an outside guy who was good at separating.

Looking at the draft, I think they could reasonably get:

Outside guy at 1A: Smith or Waddle

Slot guy on day 2: Eskridge, Atwell or Rodgers

Gadget guy on Day 3: Felton or Darden

Back
Top Bottom