How Many WR Will/Should Miami Draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Many WR Will/Should Miami Draft?

The fact that we are having this conversation at all really irritates me. I have my doubts about Grier being up to the job as he totally screwed the pooch in round one last year. Jackson being on the team at all is the result of Grier preferring need over BPA. He decided he needed a tackle so badly that he chose to overdraft Jackson rather than trade up slightly for Lamb. Now, to fix that mistake, we are considering passing on the best tackle prospect in a decade to overdraft a receiver at 1-3.
That was bad, but when you factor in 2nd round receivers such as Higgins, Pittman Jr, Shenault and Claypool all outplayed Noah Ig. and I end up having serious concerns about Grier. If we drafted Lamb or one of the other 4 receivers last year, are we even having this conversation? If we added 2 of them to Parker and Gisecki, that's one of the better weapons stockpile in the league. Thank god our 2nd rounders produced. If Tua ends up being a miss, Man O F-ing Man.

The fact that we are having this conversation at all really irritates me. I have my doubts about Grier being up to the job as he totally screwed the pooch in round one last year. Jackson being on the team at all is the result of Grier preferring need over BPA. He decided he needed a tackle so badly that he chose to overdraft Jackson rather than trade up slightly for Lamb. Now, to fix that mistake, we are considering passing on the best tackle prospect in a decade to overdraft a receiver at 1-3.
That was bad, but when you factor in 2nd round receivers such as Higgins, Pittman Jr, Shenault and Claypool all outplayed Noah Ig. and I end up having serious concerns about Grier. If we drafted Lamb or one of the other 4 receivers last year, are we even having this conversation? If we added 2 of them to Parker and Gisecki, that's one of the better weapons stockpile in the league. Thank god our 2nd rounders produced. If Tua ends up being a miss, Man O F-ing Man.
You be so right!

It's always best to build your house roof first!

Totally bogus -- who needs a freakin' foundation!

:rolleyes:

So... it's all about whether a player is instantly ready?

So... it's all about whether a player is instantly ready?
Everyone wants to bring up production on rookie contracts and when you make an investment on a 1st rounder, he needs to "A" be a starter and "B" needs to produce at a certain level to justify the draft slot. I will give Jackson a break because he went through a lot but Iggy? That could have been a WR/RB that would be one less hole to fill, so I get the angst. Who needs another Charles Harris taking a roster spot for 4-5 years hoping he gets it?

Everyone wants to bring up production on rookie contracts and when you make an investment on a 1st rounder, he needs to "A" be a starter and "B" needs to produce at a certain level to justify the draft slot. I will give Jackson a break because he went through a lot but Iggy? That could have been a WR/RB that would be one less hole to fill, so I get the angst. Who needs another Charles Harris taking a roster spot for 4-5 years hoping he gets it?
I don't get it at all... to me, it just smacks of immediate gratification or I'm gonna whine.

There are a couple of reasons I feel this way:

1) Different positions take longer to master. if you draft a Running Back, you expect to see him play as a rookie. Some positions like CB or TE take longer... but they last longer than the one contract RBs as well.
2) Players can be anywhere from 20 to 24 years old coming out, and to expect the youngest CB drafted to be ready on week one, with no training camp or preseason is well... thoughtless. Like Tua, we have him wrapped up for 5 years, and as Devonte Smith said, Iggy was the BEST corner in the SEC... at 19.
3) Smart GMs build their teams for the long term, not just for next year (especially when they are rebuilding). We had a CB coming off knee surgery who was also in possible trouble with the law over the dispute with his girlfriend. Two excellent reasons why he might have been gone... forever. Drafting a long-term replacement with the idea that he'd sparingly play for a year or two was not stupid, it was astute.
Item #3 also applies to Austin Jackson. 20 years old and like Iggy, plays one of the premium positions in the NFL... a position that many players play into their late 30s. No training camp and "good luck son, you are starting on week 1"... as the youngest LT in the league.

So back to immediate gratification... if these louts had their way, we would have taken two WRs and two RBs last year and then... cried when our line couldn't protect the QB again. These guys lead the league in 20/20 hindsight.

I don't get it at all... to me, it just smacks of immediate gratification or I'm gonna whine.

There are a couple of reasons I feel this way:

1) Different positions take longer to master. if you draft a Running Back, you expect to see him play as a rookie. Some positions like CB or TE take longer... but they last longer than the one contract RBs as well.
2) Players can be anywhere from 20 to 24 years old coming out, and to expect the youngest CB drafted to be ready on week one, with no training camp or preseason is well... thoughtless. Like Tua, we have him wrapped up for 5 years, and as Devonte Smith said, Iggy was the BEST corner in the SEC... at 19.
3) Smart GMs build their teams for the long term, not just for next year (especially when they are rebuilding). We had a CB coming off knee surgery who was also in possible trouble with the law over the dispute with his girlfriend. Two excellent reasons why he might have been gone... forever. Drafting a long-term replacement with the idea that he'd sparingly play for a year or two was not stupid, it was astute.
Item #3 also applies to Austin Jackson. 20 years old and like Iggy, plays one of the premium positions in the NFL... a position that many players play into their late 30s. No training camp and "good luck son, you are starting on week 1"... as the youngest LT in the league.

So back to immediate gratification... if these louts had their way, we would have taken two WRs and two RBs last year and then... cried when our line couldn't protect the QB again. These guys lead the league in 20/20 hindsight.
You definitely have valid points and I have no issue with Jackson especially going through a bone marrow transplant that weakened him. I still think Iggy was over drafted, does he get it? Maybe and even though there were no preseason or camps I think too much is made of that. I get that RB's have it easier but a lot of people myself included really like Winfield and his versatility and we could have had him if not a WR or RB. That kid looked really good on the biggest stage. But good points nonetheless, just playing Devils Advocate as I like to see things from others point of view whether I agree or not.

Two. One in day 1(IMO) and another day 3.

DVP's contract isn't bad for what he is so I think he is a keeper.
Everyone likes to hate Grant, but the team did extend him, and 5 mill a year isn't terrible for one of the better return guys. Dead cap is about 1.8 mill so he could go. Moving Bowden to KR/PR duty is about the only way I see we get value from Bowden. At least until he learns how to run routes correctly.
Wilson is under contract for another year. Doesn't look like he is worth the dead cap and I'd like to see what he can do with Tua.
Hurns is another with too much dead cap. It would cost more than it saves to get rid of him.
Williams is too cheap to let go. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he was extended because I think he would be very cheap after two incomplete seasons.

All the rest:
Hollins has special teams value so might be worth keeping. Everyone else can go.

So between what they cost vs production and looking at dead cap vs salary....I see us keeping DVP, Williams, Wilson, Hurns, and one of Grant/Bowden (as KR/PR/gadget). Hollins might be a special teams keeper. If we need the roster space it makes the most sense financially to cut Williams or Wilson.

I'd like to draft two. Something like Chase/Smith/Waddle/Bateman in the first....and depending on that....something like Marshall/Toney/Wallace/Eskridge/Grimes later on.

Sign Allen Robinson, Ty Hilton, and leveon bell...draft Dewayne eskridge in the 2nd or 3rd....trade back get parsons and Rousseau in the 1st and make this defense super elite. Get a running back in the second....13-3

Back
Top Bottom