How Miami could tank ... and win | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami could tank ... and win

In 2010 (Manning last healthy year) his defense ranked 23rd and his run game ranked 29th. His OL was 22nd by FO and 20th by PFF. Their records state that Manning, and Luck carried a pretty average/below average roster. What happens to average/below average rosters? They get exposed in the playoffs which is why Manning lost in the 1st round to the Jets 16-17 in the 2010 season and Luck lost in the 1st round to the Ravens 9-24 in the 2012 season.

A premier QB is enough to make playoffs more often than not. It's not enough to win play off games or Super Bowls. When discussing Dan Marino what do dolphins fans always say? If only he had a defense and run game...yet despite not having great defenses or a good run game he made the playoffs 10 times in his career because like I said a premier QB is enough to get you the playoffs more often than not but when premier QB gets into the playoffs with an average/below average roster like Marino,Manning in 2010, and Luck in 2012 you get exposed because now those team deficiencies are harder to overcome. Tell Dan I said hi back.

2 things:
1. Manning and Marino were generational QB’s. You may believe Tua is one if you like, but I think it unlikely
2. The overall ranking of the Colts individual units means nothing unless measured against their opponents. Remember what division the Colts are in.

That 10-6 record might have been flukey, but then again a couple of those 7 and 8 win seasons really could or even should have been 10-win seasons. Had we had better coaches than Philbin or Gase, we might not be doing this tank right now, we might have an organization more along the lines of say the Ravens. A couple of those years we finished so unbelievably flat for a team that actually controlled its playoff destiny with two or three weeks to go. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

And, if we were smarter in free agency, too, and stopped going for these flashy signings when three decent players who fit our system would have served us so much better.

It's hard for me to argue with hiring Gase. He was a hot commodity. Several organizations wanted him, and when we fired him he wasn't out of work for long (although I think he's shown that he's not really a good head coach). Philbin, on the other hand, that was such a low-energy, blah hire. Weird move from Ross, who usually goes for something bigger.

Couldn’t agree more. For all the hate leveled at him on this site, given a good OL and coaching, pre-injury Tannehill was good enough to get it done. I am certainly all for upgrading positions, especially QB, but in truth, this tank was unnecessary had the owner simply hit on a GM and coach. Fact is, looking back over the last decade or two of Super Bowl winners, how many of them got there on the backs of a “tank”? Let’s not forget the Dolphins had plenty of opportunities to get a franchise QB without ever trying to lose and remove any and all talent. They passed on Ryan, Brees, and Rogers, after all.

The problem is fans think that the old process was wrong, when in reality, the philosophy wasn’t wrong, it was just lousy execution.

2 things:
1. Manning and Marino were generational QB’s. You may believe Tua is one if you like, but I think it unlikely
2. The overall ranking of the Colts individual units means nothing unless measured against their opponents. Remember what division the Colts are in.

1. Who said anything about Tua? I literally haven't said his name anywhere in this thread....I've mentioned Luck, Manning, & Marino.
2. Of course they mean something for instance if you are ranked 32nd in defense, 32nd in offense, 31st in rush offense like the 2019 Dolphins are it means you suck and given our 0-3 record thats a pretty accurate assessment using only those 3 rankings. For teams like the 2010 Colts, 2012 Colts and Marino's Dolphins it meant that they were going to have a tough time reaching and winning the SB since the playoffs would provide tougher competition.

You say overall ranking for individual units mean nothing unless measured against their opponents but then you want to use team record as some sort of metric for how good a team is. Using that logic I could easily say wins mean nothing unless the quality of their opponents is factored in (cough cough 2016 Miami Dolphins).

Tank talk won't end until next season starts, unless we are still in the tank, then it could be 2021 until the tank discussion ends.

Nope. It will change from 'we WILL' tank to "we SHOULD HAVE tanked' or 'I TOLD you we were tanking

Back
Top Bottom