How Miami will spend their money... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami will spend their money...

After the release of Van Noy our cap is like 36 mil.

Funny all the worrying in here for the cap hit. Pretty much no one in here really knows enough about the cap space and how to work it for a teams advantage. Van Noy structure a clue to what a knowledgeable NFL capologist can actually do. I have little to no knowledge in this area as IMO 99.9 % of the posters who are constantly screaming about our cap situation and they don't really have a clue of how it can be manipulated and still be successful. Nothing to be ashamed about or defensive because it IS extremely complicated and takes time and experience and a professional to conquer ( which they also screw up ! see: our last 20 years of GM's ) and is not learned near adequantly over a computer. I'm in with just the understanding that reasonable amounts of money can be acquired without damaging our future, with a good Capologist at the helm.
I get what you're saying but for the record our cap right now is 31,884mill under the cap

I think the cutting of Van Noy frees up enough cash that they can now make a serious run at Linsley if he is the player they are interested in signing. We just have to wait and see who they are targeting now that they will have nearly $10 million dollars more to spend in free agency.

It won’t surprise me if they don’t make some more cuts and restructure some contracts in an attempt to gain more cap space before free agency begins.
I'm pretty sure there will be more cuts. I hope they DON'T restructure any contracts as that really got us into a mess that had to be cleaned up. I don't see the need to do it anyway. A couple of more cuts can get us enough.

Fitzpatrick dont count tunsil somewhat count.. 1.5 player in 20 yr is not that good in first rd.. yes they have done all right draft ol in first rd other than that. Not that good
Fitzpatrick does count because he was a first round draft pick of the Dolphins and he played a year with the Dolphins before they traded him. Tunsil was good enough to provide the Dolphins with 2 first round draft picks and a second round pick when they traded him.
Also Long was considered one of the best LT’s in the league before he was hit with the injury bug.

I agree the Dolphins have done a pretty bad job with their first round selections over the last two decades but you can’t rewrite history simply to support your argument.

The fact is Fitzpatrick was a first round pick for the Dolphins and he has been an all pro safety the past two years. Even if he earned all pro honors for the Steelers is irrelevant because he was a first round pick of the Dolphins.

Obviously Grier and Flores need to do a much better job with they first round draft picks than the team has done over the past two decades if they want to become a legitimate SB contender.

I'm pretty sure there will be more cuts. I hope they DON'T restructure any contracts as that really got us into a mess that had to be cleaned up. I don't see the need to do it anyway. A couple of more cuts can get us enough.
I agree that restructuring contracts can end up hurting in future years but it won’t surprise me if they try to restructure Howard and Jones, but we will see.

I think McCain is a player they would like to replace simply because of his salary but I don’t know if they would feel comfortable with finding a replacement for him for the 2021 season. I think he will likely be cut after next season.

Depending on what they are planning to do with the WR position in free agency and the draft. I think Grant, Wilson, Hurns, and even Parker could be possible cuts. Parker obviously would be a big surprise but his injury history doesn’t help his cause if they are looking to sign a big name FA and add a first round WR in the draft.

I expect Parker to be on the team next season but prior to the announcement regarding Van Noy, I expected him to be on the Dolphins next year too.

My free agent plan: sign Linsley at C. Thats the big money signing. Then sign one of Lavonte David or Hassan Reddick. Then address the other one in the draft.
Sign Malik Hooker at safety. He would be a steal if he can come back from his injuries.
Sign Curtis Samuel at slot WR.
Sign Tyrod Taylor as the back up QB.

Draft - Smith and Harris in round 1.

My free agent plan: sign Linsley at C. Thats the big money signing. Then sign one of Lavonte David or Hassan Reddick. Then address the other one in the draft.
Sign Malik Hooker at safety. He would be a steal if he can come back from his injuries.
Sign Curtis Samuel at slot WR.
Sign Tyrod Taylor as the back up QB.

Draft - Smith and Harris in round 1.
The Dolphins would likely have to clear another $15-20 million in cap space to sign all the players you have listed. I like your list and would love to see the Dolphins sign these players but I just don’t see them coming up with the cap space to sign all of them.

Hopefully they will make Linsley and Reddick priority free agents.

I agree that restructuring contracts can end up hurting in future years but it won’t surprise me if they try to restructure Howard and Jones, but we will see.

I think McCain is a player they would like to replace simply because of his salary but I don’t know if they would feel comfortable with finding a replacement for him for the 2021 season. I think he will likely be cut after next season.

Depending on what they are planning to do with the WR position in free agency and the draft. I think Grant, Wilson, Hurns, and even Parker could be possible cuts. Parker obviously would be a big surprise but his injury history doesn’t help his cause if they are looking to sign a big name FA and add a first round WR in the draft.

I expect Parker to be on the team next season but prior to the announcement regarding Van Noy, I expected him to be on the Dolphins next year too.
I agree on all those cuts except for Parker.That would be a dead money hit of over 8 mill while saving only 4mill

I agree on all those cuts except for Parker.That would be a dead money hit of over 8 mill while saving only 4mill
I stated that I expect Parker to be on the team and obviously the savings would be very little compared to the dead money hit. I just listed him as a possible cut because of his injury history and the anticipation that they will add 2 or 3 WR’s in free agency and the draft.

His contract should keep him on the roster, along with the hope he can play like he did in 2019. If he has another injury riddled season in 2021 or he doesn’t revert back to the receiver he was in 2019, next year could very likely be his last year with the Dolphins.

I think the cutting of Van Noy frees up enough cash that they can now make a serious run at Linsley if he is the player they are interested in signing. We just have to wait and see who they are targeting now that they will have nearly $10 million dollars more to spend in free agency.

It won’t surprise me if they don’t make some more cuts and restructure some contracts in an attempt to gain more cap space before free agency begins.

Wouldn't surprise me if they use that money on LB. The need is there

I hope we sign Lindsey and then we wait. With the cap being so low, I think some of the best free agents are going to be cuts, guys we have no knowledge of right now. Who thought we would cut Van Noy? Restructure Jones, I think he will play much better next yr, give X a little taste,cut Wilson and Hurns. Keep Grant just for special teams unless we get Waddle

Allen Robinson and Haason Reddick are probably the 2 big name high priced guys I’d like to target. I think Robinson gets franchise tagged though. Reddick makes a lot of sense after Watt signed with Arizona and Miami cut KVN. Reddick and Van Ginkel flying around blitzing from all different gaps and positions would be a nightmare to try and go against

Meh I’d like Robinson, who wouldn’t, but at 20 million a year hell no.

The VAST majority of guys in this league do not out perform big second or 3rd contracts.

Look at Van Noy who we just cut or Byron Jones who will be on the block next year.

The value isn’t in the big money contracts when they are approaching 30. It’s in drafting these guys and then signing vets to reasonable deals that don’t completely fvck our salary cap.

Back
Top Bottom