How much is hype?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much is hype??

Pericles349

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just wondering how much of our enthusiasm in this year's draft class is due to a new coach and wishful thinking and how much is pure objective thought?? I mean, I see one guy post that he think Ronnie will make us go 10-6 and then turn aroudn and in another post say that realistically Ronnie will only get us to an 8-8. So, put on your "objective" hat on and what do you really think of this draft class??

My opinion:
-Glad we got Ronnie, fills an immediate need even though I would have prefered to trade out of the 2. I feel we could have gotten Williams or Benson later in the round as well as maybe Rodgers.
-Roth looks great, but, another DE?? I was reading an article yesterday stating that it basically signals the fact that JT is not in the LONG TERM plans of the team. I don't like that one bit, no matter how much potential ROth has.
-Crowder looks good but I have a hard time getting too excited about a third round pick. For whatever reason he dropped, the fact is he dropped. I know that not all, and probably even not most, great players are found in the first round, but I still feel like I'll be skeptic about this pick.
-I won't even bother with the other guys since they really are looking more to be developmental squad/nfl europe/long term backup type of players.

Overall I think that just the fact that Wanny isn't at the healm is enough to get me excited even though we have yet to see any real football out of Saban's system. I liked the draft class and I think it says alot about his long term plans for the team. We'll see.

It's easy to get excited about our first three draft picks, and the second day picks could be good solid players as well. That being said, I remain cautiously optimistic about the season, but I just can't see the team winning more than 8 games right now. I may change my mind once the season gets closer, though.

We are looking for improvement in play and players... IMO it's been established Saban has a vision, has hired a terrific mix of proven producers and young savy coaches and has executed a thoughtful FA period and draft... there is much still to be done with the roster and I expect there will be additions after the June 1st cuts.... if we break the upcoming season into 4 game segments and then assess I believe we will see progress... let's face it the offense is not going to be on track until the last half of the season... we need to stay healthy and have some luck and know this is a long term approach and not a next season fix.... IMO we will be physical on both sides of the ball and play a smart 60 minutes... the W's will take care of themselves....

Seriously, I'ld like to think that if Hudson does a good job with the Oline, Feeley gives us solid (not great) play and Ronnie lives up to his hype... we'll have a .500 or +.500 team (though I haven't sat down to analyze the schedule just yet... too many things can happen between now and opening day). I think that my optimism is not unfounded, however, I have to restrain myself every now and then from getting too optimistic...

Last season we were driving with a chance to win on several occasions before Feeley/Fiedler threw a pick, coupled with both starting DT's being injured so we couldn't stop the run. I think with improved line play and a running game (hopefully this will allow AJ time in the pocket and cut down on bad throws due to pressure) and our added depth and talent on the D line we can realistically be 8-8 or 9-7

Lets see...Last year San Diego went 12-4 after a 4-12 season. What did they change that we have not changed.

They kept Brees who at the time was ready to be ostrasized. They turned the ball over too many times. Brees and Boston hated each other. Boston got into a fight with one of the coaches. They had an inexperienced line under Hudson Houck. They picked up lots of help on defense thru FA.

On top of it all, they get rid of SEAU and put JAMAR FLETCHER on their team and still went 12-4.

YIKES!

Warren Sapp fell too, for whatever reason, he still fell, but, I think he carved out a pretty good career for himself, wouldn't you say?

I don't think it's hype...It's more of fans getting excited because of CHANGE. Even though Miami was 4-12 last season, they went out and did what they are supposed to do when you need to improve. And they did this over the off-season and the draft. With all the changes and additions to this team over the past few months it is easy to see that the Phins will be a whole lot better overall and a much improved team. This makes me excited about the upcoming season and hope to see Miami make a serious run for the playoffs...Never say never!

Don't take this the wrong way , but you really don't know if Brown is 1 going to be that good or 2 if Feely can be a real starting QB.
And you have to take into account, the Dolphins picking a RB in the draft is as good as the Jets picking a TE in the draft...THEY ARE AWFUL AT IT

3 85 Travis Minor RB Florida State
2 39 James Johnson RB Mississippi State
1 29 John Avery RB Mississippi
3 80 Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar RB UCLA
3 78 Terry Kirby RB Virginia
3 60 Aaron Craver RB Fresno State
1 9 Sammie Smith RB Florida State
1 27 Lorenzo Hampton RB Florida

OutsideObserver said:
Don't take this the wrong way , but you really don't know if Brown is 1 going to be that good or 2 if Feely can be a real starting QB.
And you have to take into account, the Dolphins picking a RB in the draft is as good as the Jets picking a TE in the draft...THEY ARE AWFUL AT IT

3 85 Travis Minor RB Florida State
2 39 James Johnson RB Mississippi State
1 29 John Avery RB Mississippi
3 80 Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar RB UCLA
3 78 Terry Kirby RB Virginia
3 60 Aaron Craver RB Fresno State
1 9 Sammie Smith RB Florida State
1 27 Lorenzo Hampton RB Florida

How many of those were takin at #2? Brown is going to be a good RB. If only you knew.

Jason Taylor was a 3rd Round pick.

Crowder has 1st Round ability. He just needs to stay healthy.

How previous regimes were able to hit (or not) on RBs in the draft has absolutely nothing to do with this one.

Last I checked, Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson or Dave Wannstedt were no longer in the front office.

Two seasons ago we went 10-6 with pretty much the same team, a couple of years younger and not as many injuries, but realistically the same. Now we have a new RB who has the skills to be as good or better than Ricky, we have a Head Coach with heart and plays to win, a offensive coordinator who likes to spread things out, and an OL coach who is one of the best in the league. We have a ton of young guys on defense, which was a big concern due to the age of our defense, and we have a QB who in my opinion showed alot of composure and leadership, especially at the end of the year (see the Pats game). If we get lucky breaks and have very few injuries, I say we have a very real possibility to be a 10-6 team, but right now I'm thinking 8-8 will be about right.

Back
Top Bottom