How much weight does Ross have regarding the draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much weight does Ross have regarding the draft?

Ever since Ross and the FO put their collective sights tearing down 8-8 / came to terms we needed a new QB / cutting bait with Thill he has let the FO be the FO

Last edited:
I know he owns the team but does anyone know:

Does he have final say on selections (if there is a player he wants)

Are stadium revenues ever a consideration? ... all stadium sales suffered greatly last year ... Ticket sales and food/souvenirs ... would drafting OL over play maker make any sense if both are a need?

If we had a starter in a contract year and knew we didn't want to foot the bill to resign him ... would Ross be involved to the point we need his replacement?

Just curious ...

Any owner has as much power as they want. They write the checks and can fire anyone who doesn't listen to him.

It's more a question of which owners trust/allow their GM to do their jobs vs which owners want to be the GMs themselves (Jerry).

Simple answer to your question, of cause he does if he want, he signs the pay checks after all.

The question you should ask is, will he exercise his power if he see a player he like and Flo and Grier have someone else in mind?
looks like you beat me to it :cheers:

I believe he will express wanting good character guys, with some consideration to the organization and all that, but for the mot part it is probably just win baby.

My opinion on Ross is he has handed over control and stepped back. I know some won't agree but at this point Grier and Flo are in complete control and I think Ross supports the results.
Under previous regimes he still did not leverage the "final say".

He wanted Lamar Jackson....

Any owner has as much power as they want. They write the checks and can fire anyone who doesn't listen to him.

It's more a question of which owners trust/allow their GM to do their jobs vs which owners want to be the GMs themselves (Jerry).
That's your question...
Mine is me wondering how much influence Ross has during the draft ...

Let's say we take Tua no matter. Would you still pass on Jackson for what we had?
That's one of those "what ifs" that is hard to project the outcome.

To get the best out of LJ, the Ravens resolved themselves to the fact that the whole offensive design had to be radically altered.

With Gase here at the time, I don't see it working out very well.

Not only that, Jackson, much like Murray, is an incredible athlete, but needs to develop his ability to make good reads and go through his progressions before he get to the next level as a "QB".

He can win you a lot of regular season games, but when it gets into January and February, his limitations become evident.

Well he wanted to trade down when we picked Minkah and he wanted us to draft Lamar Jackson so I’d say not much.

I know he owns the team but does anyone know:

Does he have final say on selections (if there is a player he wants)

Are stadium revenues ever a consideration? ... all stadium sales suffered greatly last year ... Ticket sales and food/souvenirs ... would drafting OL over play maker make any sense if both are a need?

If we had a starter in a contract year and knew we didn't want to foot the bill to resign him ... would Ross be involved to the point we need his replacement?

Just curious ...
Ross is the owner. He has total control and total responsibility. If you don't think he puts his finger on the scales from time to time, then explain to me how we ended up with Chad Henne when we could have drafted Matt Ryan.

That's one of those "what ifs" that is hard to project the outcome.

To get the best out of LJ, the Ravens resolved themselves to the fact that the whole offensive design had to be radically altered.

With Gase here at the time, I don't see it working out very well.

Not only that, Jackson, much like Murray, is an incredible athlete, but needs to develop his ability to make good reads and go through his progressions before he get to the next level as a "QB".

He can win you a lot of regular season games, but when it gets into January and February, his limitations become evident.
I was a fan of Lamar and supported him as a QB in the draft. Got a bunch of slack for it. He does need some development but I never fell into the team needs a complete overhaul group or he won't make it in NFL. But that's just me. Everything aside, even grabbing Tua...I would have loved Lamar. At the very least he is super exciting behind center.

I believe Ross weighs about 105 lbs, so not much.

I was a fan of Lamar and supported him as a QB in the draft. Got a bunch of slack for it. He does need some development but I never fell into the team needs a complete overhaul group or he won't make it in NFL. But that's just me. Everything aside, even grabbing Tua...I would have loved Lamar. At the very least he is super exciting behind center.
Tom Brady, Eli and Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Bob Griese, and Terry Bradshaw all won more than one SB and they did it by executing their offenses at an effective level. That is really all any QB is suppose to do and that is all I want from Tua.

The fact he doesn’t run around like Jackson is irrelevant to me. I get excited by wins and whether the win comes from the offense playing a great game or the defense shutting down the opposing team really doesn’t matter to me. The win is all I care about.

Jackson may be exciting now but eventually all that running catches up to QB’s in the NFL. I like Jackson and wouldn’t have been upset if they had drafted him but over the next decade, I will happily take Tua over Jackson and not think twice about it.

Back
Top Bottom