How much would you give up to get these players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much would you give up to get these players

fullerboy1

Starter
Reaction score
1 Russell - 9th + 2nd
2 Quinn - 9th + 2nd + next years 2nd
3 Johnson - 9th + both 2nds + next years 2nd + Ricky
4 Thomas - 9th + both 2nds + Ricky
5 Adams - 9th + 2nd

I Would base it on matter of importance and it would look like this.

1 Russell - 9th + 2nd
5 Adams - 9th + 2nd

1) Russell- 9th and our late 2nd
2)Quinn- 9th, early 2nd, 2nd next year and a 4th next year
3)Johnson- 9th, Chambers and a 4th(Which TB might consider long before saying no. But they would definitely think)
4)Thomas-only if he fell to 9
5)Adams- Only if he fell to 9

1 Russell - 9th + 2nd
5 Adams - 9th + 2nd

This is an interesting topic, to assist I'd like to point out that in order to move up to spots one thru five the Phins would need to give up the following:

1st pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 1st
2nd pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 2nd
3rd pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 4th (if we had a 5th this year)
4th pick: 9th, first 2nd, TB's 5th OR 9th, second 2nd, and next years 3rd
5th pick: 9th, second 2nd, and next years 4th

Given that the five players you mentioned are arguably the top 5 rated this year, although Adrian Peterson could be included, the above is what it would take to reach each one assuming that each player is taken according to their rank. I'll rank them like this:

1. Johnson
2. Thomas
3. Russell
4. Quinn
5. Adams

Back to your question, if I were making the decision for the Phins, I would give up the following for each player:

1. Johnson - 9th, first 2nd
2. Thomas - 9th, both 2nds, and next year's 2nd
3. Russell - only if he fell to 9
4. Quinn - 9th, first 2nd
5. Adams - only if he fell to 9

So, another way of looking at it, if Johnson somehow (doubtful but you never know) fell to #4, and TB was looking on trading down (probably more doubtful), I'd give up the necessary picks, see above. If Thomas were available at #2 and Detroit is looking on trading down, I'd make that deal. And if Quinn is available at #4, again with TB looking on trading down, I'd make that deal.

Not a thing....unless they fall to the Dolphins at 9...I wouldn't trade away the future for either of them...and I like C. Johnson.

One draft pick isn't equivalent to another. Calvin becomes available offcourse you show interest. Mediocre to good players can always be found. Superstars are seldom.

1. Johnson
2. Thomas
3. Russell
4. Quinn
5. Adams

Back to your question, if I were making the decision for the Phins, I would give up the following for each player:

1. Johnson - 9th, first 2nd
2. Thomas - 9th, both 2nds, and next year's 2nd
3. Russell - only if he fell to 9
4. Quinn - 9th, first 2nd
5. Adams - only if he fell to 9

So, another way of looking at it, if Johnson somehow (doubtful but you never know) fell to #4, and TB was looking on trading down (probably more doubtful), I'd give up the necessary picks, see above. If Thomas were available at #2 and Detroit is looking on trading down, I'd make that deal. And if Quinn is available at #4, again with TB looking on trading down, I'd make that deal.

Joe Thomas is good, he isn't that good. Why do all that when we could still draft an impact player in round 1 and trade our 2 seconds to get back in the first round and get Joe Staley, and STILL have our second next year. Yea Joe Thomas is the best LT in this draft, but he isn't worth 4 top 60 picks. Come on, we need line but he isn't a sure thing, he has question marks in a few areas. U only make that kind of move for a franchise QB, not even for a franchise RB I do that (sorry Mike Ditka).

This is an interesting topic, to assist I'd like to point out that in order to move up to spots one thru five the Phins would need to give up the following:

1st pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 1st
2nd pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 2nd
3rd pick: 9th, both 2nds, and next years 4th (if we had a 5th this year)
4th pick: 9th, first 2nd, TB's 5th OR 9th, second 2nd, and next years 3rd
5th pick: 9th, second 2nd, and next years 4th

Sorry, mate, but these draft values are completely off the mark. To get to #1, the Dolphins had to give up far more than both 2nds and next year's 1st. That's roughly what you had to give up to move to #3. Most people overestimate the worth of a future draftpick. Next years first has about the same value as a second this year. And so forth.

Sorry, mate, but these draft values are completely off the mark. To get to #1, the Dolphins had to give up far more than both 2nds and next year's 1st. That's roughly what you had to give up to move to #3. Most people overestimate the worth of a future draftpick. Next years first has about the same value as a second this year. And so forth.

We know that, its just what you think you would want to give up for the players listed, not what it actually takes.

The only prospect worth moving up for is Quinn. Johnson is clearly the most talented but as a WR he doesn't get enough touches to warrant sacrificing the other picks.

We know that, its just what you think you would want to give up for the players listed, not what it actually takes.

I understand the point of this thread, but Paul specifically pointed out what he thought was needed to get these players - and if we're talking need (at least that's what Paul was talking), then his numbers are off the mark.

I understand the point of this thread, but Paul specifically pointed out what he thought was needed to get these players - and if we're talking need (at least that's what Paul was talking), then his numbers are off the mark.

I understand your line of thinking and appreciate the input. However, I think it's more complex than just saying a future pick is worth one round lower than a current draft pick. There's much more to it than that. You have to look at the team trading up and what one would expect their record to be for the upcoming season. You can then project what value that future pick would have because there's quite a difference between a top five pick in the round from a bottom five pick in said round. Trying to think unbiased for the moment, as a Phins fan, the likelihood they'd be in the upper half of a round as opposed to the lower half is much greater... I don't see them making the playoffs this year, shocking I know :boohoo:

Anyway, my values for the first and second pick trade up are debatable... however, I think they are pretty spot on for spots 3, 4 and 5.

Russell-none
Quinn-1st ,1 2nd, and 3rd maybee more.
Thomas- 1st, 3rd
Johnson- same as Quinn
Staley- 2 2nds
Revis- 2 2nds
Ginn(doubt he falls)- 2 2nds

However, I think it's more complex than just saying a future pick is worth one round lower than a current draft pick.

Unfortunately, it isn't. You'd have a hard time finding an NFL GM who subjects himself to such a prediction - because experience tells you that you simply can't predict the modern day NFL. Take the Jets or Saints as an example: Prior to last year's draft, everyone expected them to be bottom feeders this year. Now, if you made a trade based on that prediction, you'd be pretty much owned by now. There's just too many examples of bad teams making a quick turnaround that NFL FOs would rely on such a prediction. Hence the lower value of future picks.

Anyway, my values for the first and second pick trade up are debatable... however, I think they are pretty spot on for spots 3, 4 and 5.

According to the value chart, they are. But usually teams drafting in the top 5 ask for a lot more than that to trade down. Take the Dolphins in 2004. In order to move up one spot (about 20 to 25 value), they had to give up a 4th (~65 value).

The only player we trade up for is Calvin Johnson, and that's if he falls to #3.

#3 - 2,200 points

#9 - 1,350 points
#40 - 500 points
#60 - 300 points
TOTAL - 2,150

Chances our we'd have to include a future pick/player and possibly pick up an extra pick as well, like Paul13 said above.

Back
Top Bottom