How necessary are vets? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How necessary are vets?

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
People here discount veteran leadership too easily.

If we had a normal aged roster, which just happened to be bad, I would agree but being so we have NO vets but Fitz, and look at what his leadership has accomplished, I think we would benefit from not only 25, 26 yos looking for a second contract but maybe even a few in their 30s.

I'm of the belief, Castonzo and McCourty would bring valuable leadership, wisdom, mentoring and reliability to their respective units.

Plus they are familiar with our staff and scheme.

I think this is one of the reasons Hurns and Rowe were signed for a transitional 2 year time frame.

I agree to an extent, this FA class has a number of 26-29 year old players who have tons of experience. Which will be important with the sheer number of drafted players coming in who will be pushing for playing time right away. The team has a lot of money but has said they would rather get 6 $11 million players versus 2 $25 million players. So will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Fitz is not the only vet.....Kilgore is 31 but yes, we don't have many and it'd help to have 2 or 3 more but that's about it.

Fitz is not the only vet.....Kilgore is 31 but yes, we don't have many and it'd help to have 2 or 3 more but that's about it.
Yes always like the idea of having one experienced vet at each position, to provide a positive example on how young players should go about being pro's, be like a coach on the field with good communication even though they might not be the best player.
Another who seems to fit the bill is Atkiens on ST, he's been here since 2014 under multiple coaches and is the captain of ST.

A young team leading the league in penalties is impressive. That’s coaching, not the vets though. We are breeding a smart football team. Some vets who buy in will help this trend continue.

I think it is VERY important to have some vets on your team. The young players need to see some guys who have survived the churn and are still working hard and doing things the right way. Danny mentioned Kilgore and he is a great example... captain, not on his rookie contract... and not mailing it in. The young players see this, see the money he is making and think... I want to be that guy.

Vets are like sergeants in the military, they aren't the boss, but you want to follow them.

I think it is VERY important to have some vets on your team. The young players need to see some guys who have survived the churn and are still working hard and doing things the right way. Danny mentioned Kilgore and he is a great example... captain, not on his rookie contract... and not mailing it in. The young players see this, see the money he is making and think... I want to be that guy.

Vets are like sergeants in the military, they aren't the boss, but you want to follow them.

Particularly QB/CB

If you have a dog or a cat or any domestic animal really they are essential. If you are a farmer they are on speed dial :p

Each an every unit must carry at least 1 veteran. They are the leaders and they all should be look upon as such. So on Defense: 1 FS 1 SS 1LB 1 DE 1 DT. 5 Vets minimum. On Offense: 1 QB 1 RB 1 LT 1 C 1 RT 2 WR (2 is healthy at WR) 1 TE. 8 Vets on Offense. 13-15 Minimum total on both side. Is pretty good. LEADERSHIP from them will help the younger players and rookies.

What year of your career...do you become a "vet".

And on a 53 man roster reset, keep the contracts cheap and do not keep them out of some perceived loyalty.

Nahh. You are over thinking it. We need 53 players who play football. If Rosen and 2 other guys beat out Fitz cut Fitz. If fitz is the best player at the position great! If they start getting guys just because of leadership that's pathetic. There was a draft jeff ireland did where every player drafted was a team captain in college or a great leader. That draft sucked.

What year of your career...do you become a "vet".

And on a 53 man roster reset, keep the contracts cheap and do not keep them out of some perceived loyalty.

According to Reddit, if you're not a rookie, you're a vet. A vested vet has 4 years exp and gets minimum salaries per CBA agreements.

Back
Top Bottom