How Surprised Are You At Early Dolphins Success in 2020? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Surprised Are You At Early Dolphins Success in 2020?

I was expecting at least 8 wins. We won 5 last year with no players. I figured with all the guys we added we would win at least a few more. I thought the defense would be much better with Jones, Van Noy, Ogbah, and Lawson. I did not see 10 wins. It’s just great to know we found our coach. Next year with some truly elite playmakers I think we are going to the dance.

I expected us to be competitive and competing around .500 and seeing clear progress. They won 5 games last year with arguably the worst roster ever. Naturally they would be better with better players and another year of coaching experience. But I didn't expect us to be a playoff contender so soon. I also didn't expect Tua to play so quickly. I mean we have the tiebreaker over Baltimore, Tennessee, and Cleveland right now. Who saw that coming? If they win on Sunday, they are sitting pretty at 7-3.

I am surprised, but in hindsight I maybe shouldn't have. In 2005, 2008, and 2016 we rode weak schedules to a decent record and/or playoffs when we had to be just a bit better than mediocre.

I am quite surprised. I never planned on early success. Too little time due to Covid restrictions (lack of practice time, no preseason games) for the time to gel. It really does take time for a TEAM to come together. It simply doesn't happen overnight. Players need to develop a level of trust with each other. The O Line development has been nothing short of amazing. 5 of 6 new guys starting or playing significant reps and to be as solid as they have been so far. Totally didn't expect that to happen as quickly as it has. These things simply cannot happen without good coaching, can't. That makes things very promising for the future. I have also noticed the respect and pulling for each other by team members. That kind of positive atmosphere is as contagious as a negative atmosphere can be in the opposite direction. That relationship and team first attitude is also a reflection of the coaching. I don't know what record we will end up with because in the NFL there are no gimme games, but I do know our team is significantly better. Attitude and development of players is so key in the NFL and it gives me great satisfaction seeing that actually happen with our Dolphins. I am more optimistic about our future than I have been since Marino. I'm one of the old timers who watched Csonka, Kiik, Morris, etc... in the glory days. Unfortunately, always on TV as I live in ND. I have been able to see two games in Minnesota, unfortunately both loses. Enjoy the ride Dolphin fans!
Makes one wonder where we would be, had we had a real TC and preseason.

I too am surprised at our success against the NFC West. We could easily be 4-0 against that division. Looking at the schedule, they were the teams that I thought could make or break our season. I'm impressed with how much big play ability our D and ST have shown. Those two units have played well above expectations. The O is still a work in progress, but Flores had the balls to make the change at QB and I'm not sure I saw that coming so soon. So, yeah, 6-3 is better than I thought we'd be at this point. I thought we'd maybe have four wins at the most nine games in. I don't think anybody could ask for better than 6-3. I think we win the next three and split the final four. Puts us at 11-5. Worst case, we might go 1-3 the last four. Wind up 10-6. Still way better than what I thought. I think I predicted 6-10 to 8-8 way back when.

I knew that our Defense was set to improve with the addition of Kyle Van Noy, Byron Jones, Emmanuel Ogbah, Shaq Lawson, Elandon Roberts, etc. Getting Xavien Howard back from injury was another big plus. However, what has really surprised me is how well our new additions to the O-line have come together. Ereck Flowers and Ted Karras in free agency plus Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt and Solomon Kindley in the Draft. Plus a new Offensive Line Coach in Steve Marshall. When considered altogether this was effectively a total rebuild. I thought it would take much, much longer for the O-line to gel and I was expecting Fitz to start for much longer because of potential protection issues and I was comfortable with Tua waiting while the O-line came together. Thankfully, I was totally wrong re the time needed for the O-line to get its sh*t together. Chan Gailey and Steve Marshall have done a great job. This is all coming together nicely with Draft picks up our sleeve for next year.
Brian Flores and GM Chris Grier may have actually implemented the blueprint of the model turnaround for an NFL franchise:
1) Get the right GM for the future. (Easy to say - not so easy to do). Owner has to commit to him.
2) Get the right Head Coach for the future and be confident that the GM and Head Coach are totally aligned philosophically how to turn it around.
3) Be prepared to go backwards in terms of short term (wins) via trading players and cutting expensive veterans to assemble Draft capital and cash for free agents for the future. Allow the GM to be totally ruthless in implementing this phase against predictable media negativity.
4) Find a veteran QB who can hold things down and be a transition to the future, while you find and prepare your future QB.
5) Find the right veteran Offensive Coordinator with hands-on experience in developing young QBs.
6) Preferably draft your QB for the future and get him the best O-line protection possible. Note - prioritize the team Draft needs by position - focus on O-line, D-line and DBs before investing significant Draft capital in WRs, RBs and LB.

What's old is new again.

The big difference for us this time is the GM built the team. In the past, the guy calling the shots usually had been or was the coach.

But the model is the same as older established franchises who win consistently; aligned vision and organization.. top to bottom.

The Phins showed up the whole second half of last season so I had tempered but hopeful expectations. I figured we would play hard under Coach Flo but I didn't expect to be winning games against good teams. I thought this was a 6-7 win team

I did and I posted so.

I predicted a 9-7 or 10-6 year with a weak 1st 1/2 and a strong and competitive second 1/2. I also stated we would be a team that no one would want to play against by the end of the season. I guess I under estimated the Dolphins performance this year, but not by much.

I also asked that posters not set me up to "pat myself on the back" because of my "keen insight" LOL.
I'm beginning to get muscle cramps in a lot of unused muscles above and below my belt from typing responses bringing this up, from patting myself, by jumping up and down too much from having too much
joy from these wins and competitive games. LOL.

I won't even mention my Super Bowl prediction this year, but that's more memory related then I care to publicly!

I am quite surprised. I never planned on early success. Too little time due to Covid restrictions (lack of practice time, no preseason games) for the time to gel. It really does take time for a TEAM to come together. It simply doesn't happen overnight. Players need to develop a level of trust with each other. The O Line development has been nothing short of amazing. 5 of 6 new guys starting or playing significant reps and to be as solid as they have been so far. Totally didn't expect that to happen as quickly as it has. These things simply cannot happen without good coaching, can't. That makes things very promising for the future. I have also noticed the respect and pulling for each other by team members. That kind of positive atmosphere is as contagious as a negative atmosphere can be in the opposite direction. That relationship and team first attitude is also a reflection of the coaching. I don't know what record we will end up with because in the NFL there are no gimme games, but I do know our team is significantly better. Attitude and development of players is so key in the NFL and it gives me great satisfaction seeing that actually happen with our Dolphins. I am more optimistic about our future than I have been since Marino. I'm one of the old timers who watched Csonka, Kiik, Morris, etc... in the glory days. Unfortunately, always on TV as I live in ND. I have been able to see two games in Minnesota, unfortunately both loses. Enjoy the ride Dolphin fans!

Well said sir, some excellent points that are under appreciated stated.

I'm surprised. So many new faces with such a weird, truncated off-season and no pre-season games - I thought it would take longer for the new faces to gel. Particularly the OL. I also didn't expect as many of our FA's to work out as have so far.

I'm not sure if there was a predictions thread, but I remember saying, a good season for me would even be 7 or 8 wins this year. Just showing signs of progress. Well, we really should at the very minimum get to 9 wins from here. And all of our units have improved, I've absolutely loved what I've seen.

I do think we're in for a bit of regression from D / Special Teams, with regard to points scored. However, I am hopeful that, the recent 2nd half play we've seen in games, hasn't been us going into our shell, but has merely been us conserving energy & plays for the games when we do need the O to win us the game on its own.

I'm absolutely delighted with the job that Flores & Grier are doing. This isn't a smoke & mirrors job like we saw under Gase. This is a team that is staying with the good teams, and blowing away the teams it should. The points differential shows that we are close to legit. Another good draft this next year and we're going to be in great shape.

It's so exciting to be a Fins fan right now.

Incidentally, I'd like to see a number of posters start a thread and eat crow about all the grief they've been giving Grier / Flores up until about 2 months ago.

I am surprised but I hope they don’t sit on their laurels like Gase’s first year. There still needs to be an upgrade of talent, and with all the picks, need impact players. Noah Ig is a bust and we cannot have that if we have a top 5 pick. In addition, depending on how far they go, Mia could make a huge splash for an over-the-top player. I am not in favor of that, but teams do that if they are close.

Back
Top Bottom