How The Dolphins Can Craft Pass Rush From Brian Flores' 2018 Blueprint | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How The Dolphins Can Craft Pass Rush From Brian Flores' 2018 Blueprint

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_12751301.jpg

How much of the 2018 New England Patriots’ defensive success can be attributed to new Dolphins coach Brian Flores? We may not ever have a concrete answer one way or another. There’s little question that the mastermind of the operation has been Bill Belichick for two decades now — he deserves the bulk of the credit.

But Flores was hands on with Belichick’s defense and was the defensive play-caller for the Patriots in 2018 as they mounted a run to their sixth Super Bowl title. And as Flores transitions to South Florida, he’ll look to replicate the conditions of the Patriots’ roster and mentality. How quickly he’s able to do that may weigh very heavily in how much success the Dolphins are able to experience in 2019.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...t-pass-rush-from-brian-flores-2018-blueprint/

Yes, Flores was the chief operator of that very impressive multiple front defense. My biggest hope for Flores is that he successfully implements a similarly effective version of that defense with the Dolphins. If he can do that, I will be very happy and impressed. But, IMHO, it will take more than 1 year, because it is a very cerebral defense, which requires a lot of knowledge and studying by the DL and LB. The DB's around the league already utilize the complex schemes needed for this type of defense, but this approach extends that sort of thing to the front 7 (or 6) as well.

And more importantly, we simply don't have the edge rushers needed to generate a strong pass rush yet. Sure, the scheme will generate the majority of pressure … but we still need the players who can pull it off and still be versatile enough to execute the other duties of their varied roles. This means our defensive roster is a work in progress. With a projected 12 draft picks in the 2020 draft, I expect more than half to be spent on defense, with new starters targeted at all three levels. Sure, we'll be adding at least 1 S and at least 1 CB, but probably 1 DT and 2 DE/OLB types as well. For this defense to succeed, we need to generate pressure to allow our secondary strength to really shine. That requires edge rushers, and IMHO, we're severely lacking those guys this year. Don't be surprised if the defense looks less than stellar this year. But, if we add those edge rushers in the 2020 draft, our defense could make a dramatic improvement in the 2020 season.

Not what people want to hear … but don't lose faith if it gets worse (2019) before it gets better (2020). This is all part of the rebuilding process. Think of it as the ugly duckling phase that is necessary to become a swan. Except that this swan will hit like a ton of bricks when it's fully grown.

Yes, Flores was the chief operator of that very impressive multiple front defense. My biggest hope for Flores is that he successfully implements a similarly effective version of that defense with the Dolphins. If he can do that, I will be very happy and impressed. But, IMHO, it will take more than 1 year, because it is a very cerebral defense, which requires a lot of knowledge and studying by the DL and LB. The DB's around the league already utilize the complex schemes needed for this type of defense, but this approach extends that sort of thing to the front 7 (or 6) as well.

And more importantly, we simply don't have the edge rushers needed to generate a strong pass rush yet. Sure, the scheme will generate the majority of pressure … but we still need the players who can pull it off and still be versatile enough to execute the other duties of their varied roles. This means our defensive roster is a work in progress. With a projected 12 draft picks in the 2020 draft, I expect more than half to be spent on defense, with new starters targeted at all three levels. Sure, we'll be adding at least 1 S and at least 1 CB, but probably 1 DT and 2 DE/OLB types as well. For this defense to succeed, we need to generate pressure to allow our secondary strength to really shine. That requires edge rushers, and IMHO, we're severely lacking those guys this year. Don't be surprised if the defense looks less than stellar this year. But, if we add those edge rushers in the 2020 draft, our defense could make a dramatic improvement in the 2020 season.

Not what people want to hear … but don't lose faith if it gets worse (2019) before it gets better (2020). This is all part of the rebuilding process. Think of it as the ugly duckling phase that is necessary to become a swan. Except that this swan will hit like a ton of bricks when it's fully grown.
I certainly agree with the majority of what you stated.

The only caveat to your plan is that a couple of those picks will have to be spent on the O-line, and if we are forced to package high picks to move up for QB.

We have a lot of picks, but they need to excercise diligence and prudence when they are used.

We're talking a lot about our future potential draft picks but ignoring the fact that we can probably spend a fortune in FA next year and still have a healthy chunk to continue the roll over process.

2020 free agent class is drool worthy.

Free agency is always going to be a "Miami" thing.

We just need to make smarter deals. And use our leverage. Everyone wants to be a Dolphins.

Rosen is going to give us incredible cap flexibility for a little while.

We're talking a lot about our future potential draft picks but ignoring the fact that we can probably spend a fortune in FA next year and still have a healthy chunk to continue the roll over process.

2020 free agent class is drool worthy.

Free agency is always going to be a "Miami" thing.

We just need to make smarter deals. And use our leverage. Everyone wants to be a Dolphins.

Rosen is going to give us incredible cap flexibility for a little while.

Agreed. But, no more 'elite' FAs and no more 35yo.

For it to get worse, it will have to outdo the worst defensive season in franchise history.

I’m not saying it will be good, but lord help us that was rock bottom. Averaging 27 points per game and 145 rush yards...

Agreed. But, no more 'elite' FAs and no more 35yo.
I agree. Free agent pickups should be hole fillers, not big splash, top 3 at their position guys.

Of course there are exceptions, but I would rather give those big contracts to guys we draft that have proven to be top shelf players.

Mercenaries, as a rule, have no allegiances, and many never live up to expectations.

Suh was an example of this. He was a good/great player, but for the cost, he didn't make that much of a difference.

one thing I hates on here is comparing N.E to dolphins. this is difference team. what work in N.E may not work w dolphins. I feel that me or u can win as assist coach in N.E. As long as I got BB and Brady I am good. Flores and his staff must proved to nfl. they were not winning because of BB and Brady. N.E system work for BB and Brady. I hope Flores find system that can get best out of Rosen. our defense should be better but wake will be miss this yr.

I certainly agree with the majority of what you stated.

The only caveat to your plan is that a couple of those picks will have to be spent on the O-line, and if we are forced to package high picks to move up for QB.

We have a lot of picks, but they need to excercise diligence and prudence when they are used.
I agree. We'll need a C and at least one of RG/RT depending upon how things work out this year. I'm hoping we don't have to package picks to move up and get a QB, because if we do, that will wreck our rebuild. Considering we've already traded a 2nd away for Rosen, packaging more high picks for a QB seems like a worst-case scenario. Either we find the real deal in Rosen, or we are bad enough to get a top 3 pick on our own record … either of those works for rebuilding.

But, my nightmare scenario is mediocrity, winning just enough games to drift far enough outside of the top 3 to need to burn draft picks to move up … if the teams with the top 3 picks are even interested in trading out of those spots.

But assuming we keep 12 or so draft picks, I'm expecting about 7 on defense, because we didn't spend many on defense this year, and we really need help across all three levels--especially pass rushers. We've invested in TE's, we've got 2 cornerstone OL (Tunsil and Deiter), and we seem to be OK at RB. Our WR corps is strong. Once we draft a QB, that'll leave our only real offensive needs along the OL, so we should have the picks to work heavily on the defensive side.

For it to get worse, it will have to outdo the worst defensive season in franchise history.

I’m not saying it will be good, but lord help us that was rock bottom. Averaging 27 points per game and 145 rush yards...
When I say worse, I meant in terms of wins/losses and competitiveness. Stats-wise, we could go either way, but how the numbers end up depends primarily on how long it takes the players to master these new systems. If it's only 5 games, we may well be better statistically on defense. But if it takes longer … all bets are off.

2020 and 2021 figure to be two of the strongest WR classes of the last 10-15 years. I think Miami will be drafting too early to consider WR in the 1st in 2020, but I'd target WR in the early 2nd. There could well be a run on WR's in the late 1st, but there should still be one or two top options that slip through the cracks. Tylan Wallace and Jalen Reagor are at the top of my list of WR's who could be there. I'd also watch out for Lynn Bowden Jr, who is underrated due to poor QB play at Kentucky.

I don't think Miami's receiving options are good enough, so I don't view it as a luxury. Miami will likely try to piece together an OL, rather than spending premium assets. That's great if it works, but it had better work. It might work, because it worked in NE, and the new OC should have some idea of how to get that done. It might not, because most teams can't do it, and NE's OL coach is still in NE.

The play you need from OL and WR differ in that it's much more important to have a good OL (particularly in pass pro), but the difference between good and great is more significant at WR. I wouldn't draft defensive players in the 1st unless I thought my team was ready to compete. The payoff from defenders is more immediate but less significant. In other words, if you don't have a good offense, it doesn't matter how good your D is. If you are able to build a good offense, you can improve your D much quicker than you can an offense.

For 2020, I'm looking at Tua, Fromm, or Love in the 1st and Wallace, Reagor, or Lynn Bowden Jr in the 2nd. Obviously, these are very early projections, so much can/will change.

You forgot about Van Ginkel. He is going to solve all the problems with our pass rush. :meh:shrug::rolleyes::wink::out:

You forgot about Van Ginkel. He is going to solve all the problems with our pass rush. :meh:shrug::rolleyes::wink::out:
Heh, I hear your sarcasm bro. Well, he has the athletic ability, but he wasn't able to generate pressure without the scheme at Wisconsin, so I'm not expecting anything more in the pros. This is a guy we're hoping becomes a system guy, and an older one at that. The Patriots took the more productive version of the same player, Chase Winovich, with a pick after the one we traded to get Rosen. I'm going to be watching how Winovich does in relation to Rosen and Van Ginkel.

Regardless, even in the best case scenario that Van Ginkel becomes part of the solution, we're still lacking enough pass rushers.

one thing I hates on here is comparing N.E to dolphins. this is difference team. what work in N.E may not work w dolphins. I feel that me or u can win as assist coach in N.E. As long as I got BB and Brady I am good. Flores and his staff must proved to nfl. they were not winning because of BB and Brady. N.E system work for BB and Brady. I hope Flores find system that can get best out of Rosen. our defense should be better but wake will be miss this yr.
Well said...we need our own path

Back
Top Bottom