How to get under the cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to get under the cap

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Reports say we are 14mill over at the end of the season. Here is how to get under:
1st our list for the expansion draft none of thease guys will be back unless Bowens doesn't get picked, but he will still get cut by March 1st to avoid a 7mill roster bonus then he might get resinged.
T Tim Bowens ($8,750,000)
LB Scott Galyon ($1,016,666)
TE Hunter Goodwin ($1,450,000)
LG Heath Irwin ($1,915,000)
RB J.J. Johnson ($777,750)
with these salries gone Miami would be even.

2nd OJ Mcduffie will be gone and he signed a contract that gaurnteed him 2mill last year and I think 3 if he is on the march 1st roster, wont happen. Now Miami is 2-3 mill above water.

3rd force the underacheivers(injury victims) to renagotiate such as Dixon, Ruddy, Gardner. That should save atleast 1mill maybe 2. 3-5 mill above water.

4th Marion gets a 2mill roster bonus for being on the team after march 1st much like Mcduffie and Bowens it wont happen. He might resign but it will have to be at 1mill that I doubt he will take.

5th The superstars such as Thomas, Taylor, Madison, and Surtain have to agree give up gaurnteed salary for easy to hit incentives and to backload their contract. Althought it sounds crazy for them to do they have all done it already, and will probably do it again. They should save Miami about 6-8 mill. All in all Miami should have anywhere from 10 to 14 mill to spend.

It will probably cost them 5-8 mill to bring back their guys depending on what happens to Jay. I say forget Jay and sign a big name o-lineman. The 2 guys behind Jay are mildly worse than Jay, but come at 2-4 mill less than what Jay is asking. He is just to old and to average to sign to a big contract. Trust me a great o-line would make more of a difference than Jay would. Then Miami could use their first round pick on a stud DT or stallion rb.

Great post bro. I thought we were 16.5 behind though?

I think we should keep Jay if we can get him at around the 3.5 mil range.

Er....um......uh......

If I may interject

I believe those numbers are only if Houston selects those players. If Miami releases them, acceleration of any amortized bonuses would most likely change the numbers, thus the cap savings is likely to be less!

Oh BTW

:monkey: Doll-Felons

Re: Er....um......uh......

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I believe those numbers are only if Houston selects those players. If Miami releases them, acceleration of any amortized bonuses would most likely change the numbers, thus the cap savings is likely to be less!
I think you are right, but most of the $ is in salary (Tim Bo's) and Marion is another 4 mil that will be cut or re-structured.

Who cares about Jay? He and his 5 million a year can screw themselves. Maybe Houston will give him that, MAYBE.

why is a bills fan..............

worried about our cap situation. haven't they destroyed their team enough?!:(

lol...I doubt it, but you never know. Maybe he will convert? Sunshine, beaches, much better looking cheerleaders!! Come on down C.P. join the Phins!! lol

Re: Er....um......uh......

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
If I may interject

Oh BTW

:monkey: Doll-Felons

You may not interject, because you are wrong. The players I name all have very small bonus $ if any. As I explained Marion's and Boewns' is only if they are on the roster as of March 1st. The other 4 did not get huge signing bonuses and are all in the last year or 2 of their contract witch would have already negated most of their small bonus. When was the last time you heard 2nd string players getting huge signing bonuses? It was a valid point, but just for the wrong players. If I said cut or trade Sam, Pat, Jay, or Zach then you would have been right on. Better question for you how much does Buffalo get smacked with if they release Rob?

Re: why is a bills fan..............

Originally posted by dolfan06
worried about our cap situation. haven't they destroyed their team enough?!:(

Duh? I don't remember being a part of the decision-making process at One Bills Drive. BUTTler, now in SD, mismanaged the cap, not Bills fans

As a moderator and writer for BBI, I try to learn more about the AFC East cap situations. That's an honorable undertaking because it makes me a more credible poster about YOUR cap situation and each AFC East team's cap situation affects the Bills!

Bills save $6.15 million if RJ is released. His "dead cap" is $5.066 million.

Can't imagine Miami just releasing Bowens without trying to re-work his deal. My numbers say his release saves the $1 million roster and $7 million salary but he would have about $2.1 million in accelerated bonus, thus his release saves only $5.9 million not $8.7 million listed above. That's some difference when a team is WAY over the cap. But, what remains on the DL? Gardener? Will he play a full season? Mixon and Bromell are both UFA! It will take about $3 million/season for each (not cap number....Fins could probably structure deals that have 2002 cap number of about $3 million total for both players). Fielder's cap number is $1.366 million.....his number will go a little higher. Still need about $3.5 million for the draft.

You'll find out what cap hell is all about :lol:

i gotta tell ya...................

back in the 70's and early 80's, i enjoyed football a whole lot more, when players played for the love of the game and looked like jack lambert. this grab the dollar and screw the fans attitude sucks!:yell:

You are so right!!

I watch the NFL Films shows on ESPN all the time. They show the old days of the game when, as you said, they played for the love of the game. In some respects, I wish there wasn't a need for the cap. It's the only reason the Bills are still a viable franchise. No way Ralph Wilson could compete with Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, et al

Back
Top Bottom