How To Play The Comp Pick Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Play The Comp Pick Game

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
People are always asking how does one team get x number of comp picks while other teams don't? Here's one good example of the games the Patriots play. The traded for Danny Shelton and Phillip Dorsett, both former 1st round picks for other teams. Today they declined the 5th year option on both Shelton and Dorsett as well as their own former 1st round pick Malcom Brown. If they allow some or all of those players walk in free agency in 2019 they should give them some levearage toward getting a pick in 2020, depending on who they sign next summer of course.

The teams that can draft consistently good are the teams that can afford to let good players leave and be replaced by younger ones in house.

Signing free agents says you couldn't draft a player as good. Many reasons to sign one (not enough picks, too many holes, bad drafting, 1 player away, an impact player available)

The teams that can draft consistently good are the teams that can afford to let good players leave and be replaced by younger ones in house.

Signing free agents says you couldn't draft a player as good. Many reasons to sign one (not enough picks, too many holes, bad drafting, 1 player away, an impact player available)

Patriots don't draft that well, they do a great job of bringing in other players to fill gaps. They hit on a few of their picks but they miss their share too. But when you have a championship caliber roster you're not depending on many rookies to come in and contriptue like other teams do. They seem to have a good feel on what positions or needs to fill with rookies that might take time to develop and which positions you fill with vets that are ready day one.

Last edited:
The Pats are king at this just about every year they get 3rd round comp pics which are as high as you go. So for a system that was created to penalize teams for winning and create advantage s for teams with loosing records Bill B and Pats have certainly figured out the holes and used them to their advantage. They made 5 trades during the draft compared to o for us and already have 12 picks in next year's draft.

Been saying it for years but the comp pick thing is not working as intended, the rich are just getting richer. If they really want more draft picks just add an 8th round.

People are always asking how does one team get x number of comp picks while other teams don't? Here's one good example of the games the Patriots play. The traded for Danny Shelton and Phillip Dorsett, both former 1st round picks for other teams. Today they declined the 5th year option on both Shelton and Dorsett as well as their own former 1st round pick Malcom Brown. If they allow some or all of those players walk in free agency in 2019 they should give them some levearage toward getting a pick in 2020, depending on who they sign next summer of course.

Interesting scenario....thanks for sharing. I have to admit this has been a bit of a mystery to me. Just when I think I have it figured out......I realize I don't.

Wasn't true that you used to not be able to trade comp picks....but now you can?

Interesting scenario....thanks for sharing. I have to admit this has been a bit of a mystery to me. Just when I think I have it figured out......I realize I don't.

Wasn't true that you used to not be able to trade comp picks....but now you can?

Yes starting in 2017 offseason teams could trade comp picks.

Been saying it for years but the comp pick thing is not working as intended, the rich are just getting richer. If they really want more draft picks just add an 8th round.

I've always said it would be interesting if they eliminated the draft all together but adjust the salary cap in steps so that lower level teams would have more cap space to chase free agents and rookies who would go into the same free agency pool. It could make things interesting if all the teams could chase any target in draft if they either had the needed cap space or were willing to sacrafic other players to create the cap space needed. Wold like to see a situation where any team could have chased a Baker Mayfield if they were willing and able to pay the price and he was willing to sign with them.

I have been saying for years that they should just eliminate compensatory picks competely. If teams decide not to re-sign their players, I don't think they should be rewarded.

I have been saying for years that they should just eliminate compensatory picks competely. If teams decide not to re-sign their players, I don't think they should be rewarded.

But sometimes it's not a case of a team not wanting to re-sign a player. If a player wants to leave after his contract is up there's nothing a team can do to stop him it's not in the teams hands. You can offer a player more money than he's worth on the open market, but if he wants to leave after his current deal is up there's nothing you can do to stop him.

But sometimes it's not a case of a team not wanting to re-sign a player. If a player wants to leave after his contract is up there's nothing a team can do to stop him it's not in the teams hands. You can offer a player more money than he's worth on the open market, but if he wants to leave after his current deal is up there's nothing you can do to stop him.

Yeah sometimes that does happen. Many times teams have options in free agency to sign replacements for the players they lose. Still don't think teams should be rewarded extra picks. Would rather see them add another round or two to the draft.

Yeah sometimes that does happen. Many times teams have options in free agency to sign replacements for the players they lose. Still don't think teams should be rewarded extra picks. Would rather see them add another round or two to the draft.

I hear what you're saying but right now giving teams picks in an extra 8th round basicly be giving them first dibs at undrafted level players and that's not worth much. May they could come to a compromise between the way the system works now and the way some fans like yourself view it... maybe only count free agents lost that teams actually made an attempt to re-sign. That way teams don't get rewarded for letting a player walk but teams in unattractive markets get some consideration for losing talented players to better teams in bigger markets.

I hear what you're saying but right now giving teams picks in an extra 8th round basicly be giving them first dibs at undrafted level players and that's not worth much. May they could come to a compromise between the way the system works now and the way some fans like yourself view it... maybe only count free agents lost that teams actually made an attempt to re-sign. That way teams don't get rewarded for letting a player walk but teams in unattractive markets get some consideration for losing talented players to better teams in bigger markets.

Changes like that could help the system be more useful I guess. To me right now the system is pointless since it really hasn't helped many teams other than maybe the Patriots. I just never saw any point to the system when it was first implemented. Free agency is what it is. Players get a chance to move to other teams. If teams use their aloted 7 picks wisely they should be able to replace players that leave via free agency. They can fill other holes signing available free agents.

Instead of getting rewarded extra picks I think they should help teams out by giving them salary cap discounts. Allow teams to re-sign their own draft picks at a discounted hit against the cap. Maybe higher the pick the more % discount.

Maybe put a cap on the amount teams can spend on free agents from other teams.

The free agent cap could end up hurting teams with a lot of cap space. So no system is going to be perfect. Maybe if a team loses one of their top players raise their cap a % of the amount that player signed for with the other team. Try to even things out. New England would still benefit a from that system since players love signing with them for less but at least they wouldn't be getting more draft picks.

So I think a reasonable amendment to the current system is to group small market teams together, based on population or attendance or revenue from ticket sales. Then those teams have some type of extra cap space based on how small the team’s market is.

This would be an additional cap space that is provided by the teams that were most successful. Some percentage that is correlated with their level of success in the same way that the smallest teams will get the most extra cap, the largest teams would get pay the largest parity fee.

Back
Top Bottom