How To Stop The Run? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How To Stop The Run?

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
I understand Baker is a cover LBer (and not having that hurt last year) but withou a run stopping backer and questions with the DTs is anyone worried about stopping the run?

LB's Reakwon McMillan (Thumper) and Stephone Anthony (Tackling Machine) should help out in that department.

Last edited:
it'll all depends on what they trow at us. It is a passing league and we needed to do something about that. Our defense will have to win by using it's speed that it now has. I'm hoping we'll have a defense that flies to the football this coming season.

We’ve downgraded in DT yes. Upgraded at safety and linebacker. The biggest upgrade is going to be the time of possession the offense can have with Tannehill instead of Cutler keeping the defense off the field

Phillips keeps developing.

Godchaux keeps developing.

Taylor keeps developing.

Hayes moves inside and takes some snaps at DT.

Bring I'm a vet, unless the UCF free agent quickly turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Pray.

we had a top 5 nfl DT and it arguably had little to no impact on our run D. clearly LBs are the diffrence makers vs the run.

Phillips keeps developing.

Godchaux keeps developing.

Taylor keeps developing.

Hayes moves inside and takes some snaps at DT.

Bring I'm a vet, unless the UCF free agent quickly turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Pray.

Once again, this guy makes sense.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we pick up at least one UDFA DT. Yeah, we downgraded at DT. You’ll have that when you cut Suh loose. But we can hire many for what we paid Suh. As always, we don’t need All Pro. We need steady. Reliable.

And affordable.

For those of you who don’t recall (or give a damn) in the early 70s our D was the best. And made up of a bunch of guys nobody had heard about, save Buoniconti. Hence the moniker, “No Name Defense.”

They proved that you don’t have to have 5+ Pro Bowlers to excel. You just need 11-15 guys who try their guts out. Together.

We’ve downgraded in DT yes. Upgraded at safety and linebacker. The biggest upgrade is going to be the time of possession the offense can have with Tannehill instead of Cutler keeping the defense off the field
I feel like the offense is the key to the season. I think every area on offense should be at least average, and overall Miami should be at least slightly above average on offense.

Will that make up for the defensive deficiencies at defensive tackle? That's the big question. Maybe June 1 cuts will help the Dolphins.

I understand Baker is a cover LBer (and not having that hurt last year) but withou a run stopping backer and questions with the DTs is anyone worried about stopping the run?

You know, Baker had a lot to do with holding down Saquon Barkley when Ohio St. played them.

I recall when Gase first got here he spoke about building a defense to play with a lead, maybe This is what he means.

Nonetheless I was surprised they didn’t add a DT but there already are 8 linemen on the roster and just maybe they really believe in our younger DT’s.

we had a top 5 nfl DT and it arguably had little to no impact on our run D. clearly LBs are the diffrence makers vs the run.

And the defensive scheme! Coyle inherited a Top 5 Rushing Defense, changed schemes, and with the same personnel they dropped in the rankings. Joseph and Burke ran a similar defense and they also had a problem stopping the run. During the 6 years of Coyle, Joseph, and Burke running the defense, Miami has probably given up more long runs than any other team. If it's 3rd and 21, Miami will give up a 22 yard run almost every time. It's pathetic. Whatever scheme they're running isn't working... change it!!!

Back
Top Bottom