How to Stop the Wildcat = ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to Stop the Wildcat = ?

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
How are teams stopping the Wildcat formation?

It "appears" that the teams that have been successful stopping it are stacking the LOS with 8 or 9 men and just blitzing the gaps. (e.g. Ravens) Selling out the run in an overstack manner and daring the Dolphins to beat them with a pass (which HAS happened).

I'm not totally sure because I haven't analyzed any tape.
So what's the difference in when it does work or doesn't work?

That is, is it a matter of the offense simply executing better or is it that the some defenses scheme better against it?
If it's execution, maybe the adjustments in the OL this week helped.
If it's scheme and the Seahawks WERE selling out, one missed assignment leads to a big play (e.g. 51 yd TD run by Ricky)

I'm asking the question of all you guru's who break down tape and give "Football" answers because yesterday proved to me that the formation STILL works and the rest of the NFL hasn't caught up to it and it's no good any more. The Dolphins seem to be adding a new "Wrinkle" each week (e.g. Cobbs as an option pitch back on Ronnie's TD run), which then causes each subsequent team into ADDITIONAL preparation time on the Wildcat and takes time AWAY from preparing against our base offense. I see it being worth while to continue using the formation from that perspective alone.

Also, does Ronnie have "Options" out of this formation or is the play already set? (That is hand off or run, pass etc.)

Example: On Ricky's 51 yd TD run I saw a photo Ronnie taking the snap and it look like he was "Reading" the LB/DE on the left side and then handed it to Ricky. The Phins said earlier in the season that it was a straight call; but are they evolving the Wildcat into more of an "Option" formation with a couple of simple reads? I mean, how many of us ran the formation in High school? The reads aren't that hard - especially if you just have one read.

43273698-1.jpg

Bottom-Line: It appears it is in our team's best interest to run the formation a few times each game just to force the opposing defenses to prepare for it, see if it's working, use the "Weekly Wrinkle" so next week's opponent has to prepare for yet ANOTHER deriviative of the formation, and keep using it if it is successful.

Also, because this is primarily a run formation, by default, the more you can use it, the more your run the ball (Safer) and the more you control the clock (Time of Possession).

The proof is in the pudding. We got a 51 yd TD and a 16 yd TD out of the formation which caused us to win the game.

Please understand. I am NOT advocating running this as your primary or "Base" formation; but rather to use it 10%-20% of the time as its effectiveness merits foir the reasons outlined above.

Your thoughts?

I agree with you on how to use it, and I think that is exactly what the coaches are doing, and yes, I think it is still effective b/c the other teams have to prepare for it and b/c when they sell out to stop it we have hit some big plays......

GO PHINS~!

I remember Bill Cowher saying he would just blitz the heck out of it.

Baltimore really held us in check while using the wildcat, but they held us in check while doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom