How will Dolphins teach Tua to fall properly | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How will Dolphins teach Tua to fall properly

Hire some acrobat Cirque Du Soleil karate kid ballet dancer type mofo. Or Chuck Norris.

We gotta get this problem solved!

Perhaps getting the OL to pass block better so Tua isnā€™t constantly getting hit so much would be more effective. Unfortunately in football a QB is looking down field to throw the ball and defenders are coming at him from all angles.

In both cases when he suffered concussions from hits this past season, I really didnā€™t see that he had the time to adjust his body in a way that he could have avoided his head hitting the ground.

Learning to fall differently when he is running the ball is one thing that can be taught. Getting hit and being forced into the ground while throwing the ball just happens and thatā€™s a reason many QBā€™s over the years have suffered concussions and other injuries.

Steve Young suffered at least 7 concussions in his career and I donā€™t remember anyone claiming that he suffered those concussions because he didnā€™t know how to fall properly while being tackled or hit while passing the ball.

Last edited:
Perhaps getting the OL to pass block better so Tua isnā€™t constantly getting hit so much would be more effective. Unfortunately in football a QB is looking down field to throw the ball and defenders are coming at him from all angles.

In both cases when he suffered concussions from hits this past season, I really didnā€™t see that he had the time to adjust his body in a way that he could have avoided his head hitting the ground.

Learning to fall differently when he is running the ball is one thing that can be taught. Getting hit and being forced into the ground while throwing the ball just happens and thatā€™s a reason many QBā€™s over the years have suffered concussions and other injuries.

Steve Young suffered at least 7 concussions in his career and I donā€™t remember anyone claiming that he suffered those concussions be he didnā€™t know how to fall properly while being tackled or hit while passing the ball.
I felt the bengals hit was excessive and deserved a penalty .

I felt the bengals hit was excessive and deserved a penalty .
Yet that also shows that training him to fall differently isnā€™t really the problem. On that hit he didnā€™t have the time to try and fall differently. The hit forced him to the ground while slamming his helmet into the ground.

That would have happened with every QB in the league under the same set of circumstances.

Yet that also shows that training him to fall differently isnā€™t really the problem. On that hit he didnā€™t have the time to try and fall differently. The hit forced him to the ground while slamming his helmet into the ground.

That would have happened with every QB in the league under the same set of circumstances.
Yes I totally agree.

I doubt you usually get to decide how you're goingn to go down when being tackled. If you're formed tackled from the front, driven down on your butt or back, your head might hit the ground. If you're slung around like a rag doll and slammed to the ground your hear might hit the ground. The best way to not hit your head on the ground is to not get tackled.

I still think the final concussion was some what due to the brain not being completely healed from the earlier traumas. I also wouldn't be shocked if we find out there was another hit earlier in the Packers game or maybe a game or two before that caused damage and the final tackle compounded a series of earlier traumas that we're not even aware of. Multiple injuries to the same area in one season are oftehn because a player came back to soon from an earlier injury. For example when players have three injured right hamstrings in he same season, it's usually not because the hamstring is fragile, it's because it didn't fully heal.

I think having the full offseason to avoid contact is the best treament. We shall see.

Judo, gymnastics, WWE, A bouncy house, I dont give a **** what they do, BUT IT IS THE HIGHEST PRIORITY this offseason.

No way that tackle against the Pack should have let to a concussion. Fix this **** now.

Without reading the story, I was going to suggest Judo or Jiu Jitsu or even some wrestling. Learning how to fall is a huge part of the early training in all of those arts. Strengthening his neck is also huge.

One other thing is strengthening your jaw muscles. That helps a lot as well.

Truthfully they might be able to find a way to help him fall right, but one of the ways to protect himself to fall the right way way would require having both hands free to brace himself the right way, but with a football in hand, that's an issue.

He could be taught how to protect himself with a side fall which would allow his right arm and leg to take the force when someone comes from his left. Problem with that is again, if someone gets through on the right side, and Tua does not see him, there is little other then take the shot, try to stay upright, move the ball quickly to his right hand, and do a side fall to hi left (With left arm and leg taking the force).

As you can see here, this type of shot can no longer happen...

There is little that he can do unless he just fumbles the ball and uses both arms to brace himself. As well as the guided missile shot where the defender just smashes Tua (That has happened a few times already).

Miami should teach him how to fall, but more importantly that line needs to AT THE VERY LEAST, slow down the defensive player so at worse it's not a full out clean shot on Tua like this...

Though many might not believe it, Tua is a Tough kid, and can normally take it, but shots like those two are tough to walk away from. Put Tua more in motion against good pass-rushing teams, and what Marino1384 with the Bryan Cox Neck Brace might also be an option if things look bad with Tua taking too much punishment.

He should just learn to give himself up. I remember plenty of times Peyton Manning just dropping down to the ground and giving himself up so as to avoid getting hit.

Back
Top Bottom