How Will the Quarterback Race Affect Miami? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Will the Quarterback Race Affect Miami?

Tua is qb for now.. he must get better. He need be in top 15 to 20 qb next yr.. I might be wrong but I dont see us getting Watson.. I think it just smoke screen. To get other time involved..
I don’t think there’s any smokescreen on our part because every move we made basically says number one is our guy.

I don’t agree that we had a healthier than normal year...besides losing Preston Williams early and other receiver injuries...We experienced several O-line injuries that messed with cohesion.

I do believe the Jets hold the key to our options.

Detroit may or may not be a trade down option.
So when you compare that to our previous 10 seasons ... we definitely had less injuries. Even the OL you mention had less games missed by starters in 2020 than in almost any other season over the last 10 years. Given that Solomon Kindley and Robert Hunt were both rookies it's hard to say one was the starter and the other the reserve, but even assuming Kindley was the starter, we simply didn't miss too many games. Ereck Flowers played every game I think, ditto for Ted Karras, and I can't recall Jesse Davis missing any games either, though not sure about that one. So Austin Jackson missed some time, but not a ton of it. Only the Kindley/Hunt position really missed many games ... and again, it's not a clear-cut answer that one is the starter and the other a reserve. So, to me, that's gotta be a very healthy OL from a Dolphins perspective.

We did miss games at WR, with Preston Williams a legitimate starter and even the backups missing games--fair point. But our WR1 is DaVante Parker, and he had probably his second most healthy season ever. Mike Gesicki barely missed any time and our TE unit tremendously overperformed. But looking at the number of injuries on offense, we've got to be one of the lesser injured teams in the NFL.

And on defense we had a very healthy season. Xavien Howard--of whom I have always been a huge fan--has had a history of missing a lot of time through injuries. This year he didn't miss much time. I can't think of any other major injuries to our defense. Sure, we lost Elandon Roberts, but it's very debatable whether he is the starter or Jerome Baker is the starter at 2nd LB next to Kyle Van Noy. We play nickel and dime defenses so often, do we even have a "starter" at Roberts' position, or is our Mike LB more fluid depending upon the formation and call? We had some missed games at Nickel and Dime CB's, but really, this was an incredibly healthy defense.

All teams have injuries, and it's not realistic to think otherwise. But when we compare it to Adam Gase's playoff year where we went into the playoff game with less than half our starters ... this was a very healthy season. Tannenbaum may have touted all the sports science stuff--and I do like that stuff--but the proof is in the pudding. We were missing less games to injury this year, and IMHO, that's a very good thing. Is it sustainable? Not sure ... probably not ... but it's an area where improvement shows real production, so I absolutely hope it is sustainable. Pick the right players, train and prepare them right, and then cross our fingers I guess.

Fins Up!

If Watson really has the Jets atop his list, I expect that will happen. In my mind that's a better scenario for New York than Lawrence.

It will be interesting to see how Miami approaches the offseason. Load up and get weapons for Tua, or look for some players who can matchup with mobile quarterbacks.
I agree. The Jet's have to give up more resources to get Watson than if they'd just kept losing and gotten Lawrence for free. Plus, Watson will command a top salary almost immediately, which means their cap situation will be rough. But it's going to suck to have Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson in our division and at best to have the 3rd best QB in the division. Tua simply doesn't have the ceiling of those two guys, and those two guys are already performing above Tua's ceiling ... so we're going to have to become the dominant defensive team, or simply not challenge for the Division for the next decade. Not what I was hoping for when Brady left.

Our Mike lb is more fluid because roberts can’t play in the nickel without getting exposed. But kvn in space is suspect too.

tbey are just working with what they have personnel wise. Doesn’t mean you can’t do better or shouldn’t want to.

and you can’t have kvn lose much more of his range either. The space play as a tackler isn’t good already in drop asks etc and it limits what you can call even.

finding kvns eventual replacement is probably a higher priority than anything at lb/off ball but it’s probably also at least a year away.

I agree. The Jet's have to give up more resources to get Watson than if they'd just kept losing and gotten Lawrence for free. Plus, Watson will command a top salary almost immediately, which means their cap situation will be rough. But it's going to suck to have Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson in our division and at best to have the 3rd best QB in the division. Tua simply doesn't have the ceiling of those two guys, and those two guys are already performing above Tua's ceiling ... so we're going to have to become the dominant defensive team, or simply not challenge for the Division for the next decade. Not what I was hoping for when Brady left.
I'm hoping Houston can mend fences and keep Watson.

The Jets have struggled forever to find an elite quarterback. Pennington was solid, but I think we have to go back to Namath.

I'd prefer to keep it that way!

Our Mike lb is more fluid because roberts can’t play in the nickel without getting exposed. But kvn in space is suspect too.

tbey are just working with what they have personnel wise. Doesn’t mean you can’t do better or shouldn’t want to.

and you can’t have kvn lose much more of his range either. The space play as a tackler isn’t good already in drop asks etc and it limits what you can call even.

finding kvns eventual replacement is probably a higher priority than anything at lb/off ball but it’s probably also at least a year away.
Zaven Collins if he's there at #18.

I love Parsons. That's a Flores guy, but maybe after a trade down from #3.

I think Miami should put most of its resources toward offensive. But I think the Dolphins could get one defender early and still accomplish a lot offensively.

Good news. Its a smoke screen from Hou organization. That means we are the front runner and they try to put out fake news to drive up compensation.

I like what Flo is doing. Keep affirming Tua, then Hou has to lower their demand. And we can get DW for cheap.

Zaven Collins if he's there at #18.

I love Parsons. That's a Flores guy, but maybe after a trade down from #3.

I think Miami should put most of its resources toward offensive. But I think the Dolphins could get one defender early and still accomplish a lot offensively.

yeah Collins does seem to fit and he could play in the sub/nickel as a zone drop lb plus drop the shoulder on the edge and give us some return.

18 might be a little rich for my blood

yeah Collins does seem to fit and he could play in the sub/nickel as a zone drop lb plus drop the shoulder on the edge and give us some return.

18 might be a little rich for my blood
Right, the competition at Tulsa is a little different than SEC. He might take some time to develop.

Right, the competition at Tulsa is a little different than SEC. He might take some time to develop.

yeah I was watching that conference champ game vs Cinci and thinking if micah parsons was playing in this game he’d have been wrecking things like he did vs Memphis in last years bowl game. There wouldn’t have been no going ghost regardless of usage

yeah I was watching that conference champ game vs Cinci and thinking if micah parsons was playing in this game he’d have been wrecking things like he did vs Memphis in last years bowl game. There wouldn’t have been no going ghost regardless of usage
I could still see Miami taking Parsons, especially if they trade down a few spots.

Would hate to miss out on Smith, but that could solve a big issue in the Dolphins defense. I view him as a Flores type, depending on how character checks out.

What are your thoughts on Ossai at #18?

I don't see Grier or Flores bringing in any player thinking they are entitled enough to make personnel decisions about coaches, etc. Watson would not fit into the culture they are trying to cultivate.
I know some people who know DeshaunWatson pretty well from a few years ago. The feedback is that he's actually a terrific guy. My read is that having observed the total and complete mismanagement of the Texans by the owner, Cal McNair who listens to the power hungry chaplain/EVP, Jack Easterby, the terrible trades made by former coach, Bill O'Brien, etc, Deshaun realizes that the only good thing the team has is Deshaun Watson. He's flexing some muscle and can now observe how the buffoons will respond.

I know some people who know DeshaunWatson pretty well from a few years ago. The feedback is that he's actually a terrific guy. My read is that having observed the total and complete mismanagement of the Texans by the owner, Cal McNair who listens to the power hungry chaplain/EVP, Jack Easterby, the terrible trades made by former coach, Bill O'Brien, etc, Deshaun realizes that the only good thing the team has is Deshaun Watson. He's flexing some muscle and can now observe how the buffoons will respond.
Yeah, I've never seen him as a malcontent.

We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom