How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020?

How do you upgrade when you don't know what your upgrading from. They have no benchmark yet. He needs 2-3 years especially since we gutted the roster and are starting fresh. I'm not suggesting you don't bring in competition, that would be silly, but you certainly don't look to replace him with a first round QB one year into it.

They will have a pretty good idea on Rosen after this season. They will know if they need to try and find an upgrade in next year's draft. They won't be willing to wait for 3 years to see if he has it or not.

You would go broke drafting a QB in the first round until you found one. We're just escaping cap hell, that would put you right back into it!

Not with the new draft scale. You would have in the old days, but not anymore. Why do you think Rosen has a pretty cheap contract?

They will have a pretty good idea on Rosen after this season. They will know if they need to try and find an upgrade in next year's draft. They won't be willing to wait for 3 years to see if he has it or not.
I think they already know what he has, I'm sure a lot of study and debate went into the decision. When you're rebuilding you don't give up a 2nd and 5th next year without being pretty confident in what you have. They're not kicking tires here and taking a flyer, they can't afford that. He has to be put into the right situation and surrounded with the right talent to really evaluate him. He obviously has the skill set they are looking for.

I believe the front office would draft Tua if they have the worst record because they would probably view him as an upgrade over Rosen. It would be no different than what Arizona did this year by drafting Murray with the first pick after moving up to take Josh Rosen last year. I get there was a coaching change in Arizona, but if they didn't feel Murray has the potential to be better than Rosen, they wouldn't have drafted him and would have kept Rosen. The Dolphins could be in that position next year.

Kingsbury wanted his own QB. He clearly said to Rosen "It is not you. It is me."

You are giving AZ too much credit. They got it all wrong. They royally ****ed up last year with personal and do it this year again. You can have the worst record and still have a QB on hand who can become a franchise QB. Like I said in my post: records do not play a factor.

Kyler Murray will leave the NFL in less than 5 years. He'll play his rookie contract out and will head for the better and safer confines of his million dollar contract in baseball. He does not have the mental capacity to be a franchise QB.

You all really need to get rid of that Tua boner. It seems to me that you all want Rosen to fail.

Not with the new draft scale. You would have in the old days, but not anymore. Why do you think Rosen has a pretty cheap contract?
You can't draft a QB early every year as one individual contract will not bury you but if you do that for a few consecutive seasons, you won't carry all the QB's and the dead money will compound and add up. Plus you'll be passing up a first round pick that otherwise would have been used on another upper echelon player at a position of need.

I think they already know what he has, I'm sure a lot of study and debate went into the decision. When you're rebuilding you don't give up a 2nd and 5th next year without being pretty confident in what you have. They're not kicking tires here and taking a flyer, they can't afford that. He has to be put into the right situation and surrounded with the right talent to really evaluate him. He obviously has the skill set they are looking for.

Actually they are taking a flier on him. It was in an article last weekend. It said in many respects the Dolphins view Rosen as a "flier". So there goes your theory. And as far as knowing what they have in him, they won't know for sure until he plays this season.

Kingsbury wanted his own QB. He clearly said to Rosen "It is not you. It is me."

You are giving AZ too much credit. They got it all wrong. They royally ****ed up last year with personal and do it this year again. You can have the worst record and still have a QB on hand who can become a franchise QB. Like I said in my post: records do not play a factor.

Kyler Murray will leave the NFL in less than 5 years. He'll play his rookie contract out and will head for the better and safer confines of his million dollar contract in baseball. He does not have the mental capacity to be a franchise QB.

You all really need to get rid of that Tua boner. It seems to me that you all want Rosen to fail.

And you need to get rid of the Rosen boner. I didn't want Rosen in the first place but don't wan't him to fail now that he is here. But if he doesn't play better this year and they have a bad record and a high draft pick, I'm in all in on Tua or another top QB next year.

Actually they are taking a flier on him. It was in an article last weekend. It said in many respects the Dolphins view Rosen as a "flier". So there goes your theory. And as far as knowing what they have in him, they won't know for sure until he plays this season.
So who is this journalist's source? Flores, Grier, Ross? I'm sure the coaches and GM aren't taking a flyer, that would be an insult to their intelligence and if that's the case, they won't be around long. There is a process to pick these players and I highly doubt "rolling the dice" is one of them. Even if that were the case, I highly doubt they would disclose that to someone outside the organization let alone a beat writer. Don't believe everything you read, things tend to be sensationalized in the media nowadays. Take it with a grain of salt.

You can't draft a QB early every year as one individual contract will not bury you but if you do that for a few consecutive seasons, you won't carry all the QB's and the dead money will compound and add up. Plus you'll be passing up a first round pick that otherwise would have been used on another upper echelon player at a position of need.

I'm not saying draft one early every year. But I am saying they need to try and find a franchise QB with whatever means necessary. If that means drafting one next year, so be it. Remember they didn't draft Rosen in the first place, they just traded for him when he became available.

I would like to see him
  • Break the rookie wall as a 2nd year, with a change of scenery, better coaching and O-line support (very weird to say that)
  • Show leadership, command of the team on and off the field
  • Display improvement in all areas
  • Comfortable pocket presence
  • The ability to hit short, medium and long throws
  • Ability to score and move the chains consistently
Last is not on him unless he does something really dumb
  • Not get injured.

Last edited:
My prediction is if he plays like he did in Arizona last year he won't be the starter come 2020. Especially if they end up with a high enough draft pick to take a QB next year.
My prediction is he won't providing the OL is better and healthier than the Cards #32 and our receivers only drop half the spot on throws AZ's did.

So who is this journalist's source? Flores, Grier, Ross? I'm sure the coaches and GM aren't taking a flyer, that would be an insult to their intelligence and if that's the case, they won't be around long. There is a process to pick these players and I highly doubt "rolling the dice" is one of them. Even if that were the case, I highly doubt they would disclose that to someone outside the organization let alone a beat writer. Don't believe everything you read, things tend to be sensationalized in the media nowadays. Take it with a grain of salt.

It was a Mando article in the Miami Herald last Sunday. Go read it. It's under this is how the Miami Dolphins view Josh Rosen-including his personality-and what happens next. He has his sources inside the organization that know more about their thinking than you and I do.

They brought in Fitz to be a stopgap, why would they go out and trade 2 draft pics for something they already have? If that's the case you roll with Fitz for the year then draft a QB next. They obviously see something and think he fits what they are looking for otherwise they wouldn't have wasted the pics for a temp QB. That's what they would be, wasted pics, and they're in no position to do that. If he would have been a free agent, that's a different story, cheap contract and no equity in him, but they gave up valuable picks for him, therefore, they have equity in him. If he shows improvement in the areas they expect, they are not taking a QB next year. You would have to see a catastrophic collapse for them to even consider it.

And you need to get rid of the Rosen boner. I didn't want Rosen in the first place but don't wan't him to fail now that he is here. But if he doesn't play better this year and they have a bad record and a high draft pick, I'm in all in on Tua or another top QB next year.
That's all I needed to know. You made my case.

I hardly have a Rosen boner. My expectations are extremely low. I see him as a 2nd round pick up (with the Saints trade we actually only paid a 5th rounder) with potential.

You on the other hand belong to a group who has its mind made up. You said we are so bad we are tanking yet you expect Rosen to set the world on fire and lift that supposedly tanking team all by himself. You can't have it both ways. We either are that bad than you have toss records and stats out as evaluation and use the intangibles or we weren't that bad as you thought we were.

And if you use pure stats as a determining factor than you have to dismiss Allen, Darnold and Mayfield as well and toss the entire QB class from last year in the dumpster. Their stats are eerie similar to Rosen's and they were in much better positions from a personal aspect.

I don't know if Tua will be a star in the NFL. But he is also not a sure fire guarantee. Nobody is. If Rosen does not progress I am all for drafting a QB but I sure will not make it dependent on stats and records alone. That is a simplistic approach just like saying: let's tank and Tua will solve all our problems just because a team drafts him in the #1 spot.

2 years ago nobody even knew he existed (outside of our Tide fans). He was a backup with occasional duties in blowout victories.

1st year come in start last 9 games after Fitz has his shot...
2,210 yards, 20TD 6Int
Year two takes a big step forward
5,084 yards 48TD 17Int

Back
Top Bottom