How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020?

Problem with this is price on Lawerence is going to be absurd unless we have the #1 pick it’s too risky and 2021 class looking weak so far with Fields as the #2 who couldn’t even beat out Fromm who looks like he could be the #3 guy after Herbert and Tua. Unless Rosen puts up 4K yards with 30 tds and 10 or less tds I’m still drafting a qb. Even the second tier guys in Eason and Costello look pretty good. Worse thing we can do is settle for a slight improvement and hand him the job. You bring in serious young talent to compete. Worst case you have a Brees/Rivers scenario.

Which is why I said they need to solidify the O-line for Josh this year... there are still decent lineman available.

I have no problem with the Brees/Rivers concept... however if it’s clear Josh is the man... and we do still end up #1 overall.... we can score a bonanza by trading out of that pick... including another 2021 first rounder as well.

Providing he gets some reasonable OL help, not the PFF ranked 32 he was behind last season or #31 which was us, I will defer to Flores and O'Shea.

They enjoy the best perspective seeing Brady up close and personal in practice and games for years. I would assume he's the gold standard by which they measure QBs. So if Rosen passes their muster, he passes mine; conversely if he doesn't then ditto.

To me... records and stats are meaningless. Josh doesnt play defense, he doesnt play O line.

I'm looking for a guy who earns the respect of his team and begins to lead it to being better than it would be without him.

I think it's a combination of how he plays and what the QB's coming out in 2020 do. If things don't play out in our favor when it comes to a QB next year and Rosen plays well, I could see us waiting. Or, if things just don't pan out for the QB's like, injuries, poor play, staying for Sr. year, etc. I think we are positioned to ride with Rosen until 2021 if need be. No sense in rushing it.

I'm not the biggest fan of Josh Rosen … I have my reservations. But here is a good video of talking heads at BSPN that actually makes a lot of sense. It's not even a glass-half-full video … it's a frothy-beer-mug-full of praise. While I don't agree with their opinion, I do agree with most of the concepts they are discussing, and it's the Hasselbeck brothers and Dan Orlovsky, so guys who played QB in the NFL. My favorite part is around the 4:00 minute mark, where Matt Hasselbeck states that the ideal landing spot for Josh Rosen would be a team that has a starter so he could learn the intangibles of being a QB and leader. I agree with that, and expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to start the first 4 games of 2019, then going into the 5th week bye, we'll probably see the move to Rosen, once the offense gets the hang of our offensive schemes.

Anyway, it's pure sugar and love for Josh Rosen, but here's the video.

And to answer your question @SkapePhin it requires you state your draft philosophy. Everyone claims to be a Best Player Available drafter, and its a consensus that at the top you need to be. Well, if that holds true, then you don't consider that you have a QB, you just draft the best player, and next year, there are going to be 3 at the top who are QB's at BPA.

Sure, when it comes right down to it, nobody wants to say it, but when you're building a roster, you are absolutely looking at positions. So anyone who says they would NOT draft a QB because of Rosen, must first admit that they're drafting for need rather than BPA.

Every position in every round of every draft can be improved upon. #1 overall in this years draft? Sure, offer someone 6#1 picks for the next 6 years … that's an improvement. So trading out for picks etc., that's a cop out, that's always a possibility for discussion and rarely a viable option unless you're willing to LOSE value. Call it like you see it … the question is all about drafting for need, so if you have a Josh Rosen threshold for Not drafting a QB in 2020, let's start that discussion by admitting we prefer to draft for need, NOT BPA.

It's like asking if you had Baker Mayfield and a young Dan Marino comes along, what would it take for you to pass on Dan Marino for some other position? No. You draft the best talent.

8-8.

Like a record baby round round ...

:bobdole:

It honestly depends on how bad the team around him is. If he has protection and they're able to run the ball, I'd like to see marked improvement as the season goes on. Anything but the middle, basically.
I get it … Dead Or Alive, he's your guy with glitter on!

I'll be fair...if we go 8-8 or better with this roster....I'll be convinced

How he commands the huddle, team. Taking note of how his teammates and the coaches behave around him, and what happens when certain situations of adversity arise in-game. A crisp and clean variety of throws showing off his arm and hitting on the necessary routes, with touch and zip.

Seeing if he's improved upon his timing, and watching his footwork in the pocket (which I believe are quite good). I guess what it boils down to for me are: leadership, getting close to 8 wins, and how he handles pressure and adversity.

Nothing set in stone or a narrow threshold, just some of the general nuances that this team has been lacking at the QB position for so long. I'm believer that you can 'see and feel' it once you've seen over the course of games and bullets flying.

Quite honestly though, I think it will be a difficult assessment no matter what he does, in terms of having such a small window of perceived opportunity and scrutiny - of course that said, barring a miraculous playoff run (which is highly unlikely).

Can he move the ball up and down the field?
Can he get the ball in the endzone on a regular basis?
Is he a leader in battle and are his teammates willing to run through walls for him?
Is he an accurate passer and is he willing to change the play if he is properly reading the defense?
Is he improving from week to week?
Can he extend the play by moving his feet?
Does he look off the defense with his eyes?
Can he draw a defense offside with his cadence on a regular basis?
Is he tough enough when he takes a big hit or does it throw off his entire game?
Does he improve from week to week?
Does he bond and work well with receivers?

If Rosen does most of these things -won/lost record is not as important. That will come with time, talent, and more experience. He already has one year of experience in a VERY bad situation, this year coming up should be much, much better for him. Time will tell.

I really wouldn't know.

It's so stimulative to have uncertainty at that position

Simply does he look better than what I'm projecting the qb's in next year's class to look like in their first or second seasons. Rosen could have an excellent season, but if there's a qb that I think could be even better than you take that qb. if Rosen throws for 20 td's and 10 int's, but I think Justin Herbert would be even better then you take Herbert.

Last edited:
Can’t measure him by wins. For me, it’s all the fundamentals. He needs to show elite talent when it comes to pocket presence, accuracy, adequate arm strength, leadership, play success on third down and when pressured. Play success on third & long! That indicates a consistent ability to throw downfield, etc.

Overall, I want consistent play from the QB position that you can build an identity around.

How he commands the huddle, team. Taking note of how his teammates and the coaches behave around him, and what happens when certain situations of adversity arise in-game. A crisp and clean variety of throws showing off his arm and hitting on the necessary routes, with touch and zip.

Seeing if he's improved upon his timing, and watching his footwork in the pocket (which I believe are quite good). I guess what it boils down to for me are: leadership, getting close to 8 wins, and how he handles pressure and adversity.

Nothing set in stone or a narrow threshold, just some of the general nuances that this team has been lacking at the QB position for so long. I'm believer that you can 'see and feel' it once you've seen over the course of games and bullets flying.

Quite honestly though, I think it will be a difficult assessment no matter what he does, in terms of having such a small window of perceived opportunity and scrutiny - of course that said, barring a miraculous playoff run (which is highly unlikely).
If Fitzpatrick plays most of the snaps we will not know what the coaches know. What if they like Rosen but do not want to sacrifice him to a bad Ol. Therefore few 2019 snaps. I agree huddle and locker room command will be crucial.

Show that he can read defenses quicker and better and make mo' better decisions with the football than last year.

Back
Top Bottom