How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020?

What is your threshold? Is there a certain stat line you are expecting? Win/Loss total? Overall feel and perception of how Rosen handles certain situations?

What do you need to see from Rosen to be comfortable skipping on a 1st round QB in next year's draft?

My threshold is easy. Don’t have a record that would give us a realistic chance to draft him.

Command of the offense, getting the wins we should get on paper, leading the team to wins that we shouldn’t get on paper.
Ultimately, if by the end of the season when the offense comes on the field if I have confidence that they can do something to keep us in the game I’ll be happy with him moving forward and I’d say let’s build the team around him in this next draft.

And to answer your question @SkapePhin it requires you state your draft philosophy. Everyone claims to be a Best Player Available drafter, and its a consensus that at the top you need to be. Well, if that holds true, then you don't consider that you have a QB, you just draft the best player, and next year, there are going to be 3 at the top who are QB's at BPA.

Sure, when it comes right down to it, nobody wants to say it, but when you're building a roster, you are absolutely looking at positions. So anyone who says they would NOT draft a QB because of Rosen, must first admit that they're drafting for need rather than BPA.

Every position in every round of every draft can be improved upon. #1 overall in this years draft? Sure, offer someone 6#1 picks for the next 6 years … that's an improvement. So trading out for picks etc., that's a cop out, that's always a possibility for discussion and rarely a viable option unless you're willing to LOSE value. Call it like you see it … the question is all about drafting for need, so if you have a Josh Rosen threshold for Not drafting a QB in 2020, let's start that discussion by admitting we prefer to draft for need, NOT BPA.

It's like asking if you had Baker Mayfield and a young Dan Marino comes along, what would it take for you to pass on Dan Marino for some other position? No. You draft the best talent.

How MANY NFL teams consistently draft pure BPA?

I need to see quality results offensively, poise, very good QB play, and improvisation when **** breaks down around him.

I'm not going to hold him accountable for W/L, unless he also starts playing defense.

I suspect we'll have plenty of chances to see that.

I am set with him, all in, going for it with him, period. I’m a believer. He would have to bomb really huge for me to not turn my attention to other positions of need on the team. I keep acquiring picks and groom Josh for next year when we have the bodies to protect him, the targets for him and a defense. There is no exaggeration the value a franchise quarterback brings to the makeover. If he’s not the guy, it’s another run of mediocrity and that’s the chance we have to take right now. He’s the man until he isn’t.

If we are in a position (top 5) to draft Tua, Fromm, Herbert next year, I think the Dolphins have to do it regardless of Rosen's performance. Having Rosen and Tua is a good "problem" to have! How long have we been searching for a QB? Since Marino (2000)! Almost 20 years! Don't F*&^ up this opportunity!

My fear with Rosen is we fall into the Tannehill trap. "Rosen could be great but we only gave him one year with new coaches, a rookie OC, a new system, etc." "Rosen could be great if we fix the Oline, get better receivers, better RBs, better TEs, better coaches, etc." "He just needs more time."

Tannehill was here for 7 years, and this board still couldn't agree if he was good or not! Let's not make that mistake again. Double up at QB.

Which is why I said they need to solidify the O-line for Josh this year... there are still decent lineman available.

I have no problem with the Brees/Rivers concept... however if it’s clear Josh is the man... and we do still end up #1 overall.... we can score a bonanza by trading out of that pick... including another 2021 first rounder as well.

Who is decent? Who is going to protect this QB we need a RT and a RG and we need back ups -

I prefer above average but who is decent?

This kid is going to be running for his life, making in game adjustments to score points and if he can do that imho he is your Qb

That is if he can put up points against the good and bad opponents like in the 25- 30 point range -

There is no chance the dolphins draft a qb in round 1 next year.

You want to bet Rosen lover? Put it this way, if the Dolphins end up with the first pick overall, I don't see anyway they pass on drafting Tua no matter how Rosen looks this season.

On my part, quite a bit, because he needs to show command of the offense, he needs to have at least close to way more then twice as many TDs, as INTs (with at least 20 TDs), his completion % has to be over 60%, with a yard per completion of at least 7 to 8 yards.

Very importantly he needs to look at least good in 2 of 3 of these situations (with the other at least being adequate). Being able to move the offense from inside his 10, be able to run the 2 min offense, and be consistent inside the redzone (At least close to half end in TDs, few fail to go for 0 points).

He needs to show leadership, and at least compete this year to get into the playoffs, does not have to get in (though that would be a huge plus to him), but at least compete enough to show that from the starting QB position, no need to use the draft.

Last edited:
Too many people here saying we'd have to make the playoffs which means HE would have to carry the team into the playoffs because this team is just not very good right now so playoffs is not a fair way to evaluate him. Like somebody already said, context matters. We have to watch the games and see how he plays. You can't put all the blame on him if the team don't make the playoffs this coming season. At the same time we can't give him all the credit for every game we win. It still takes 22 players. I believe if he starts enough games we'll have a pretty good idea if he has a chance to be the man or now.
Having said that, I won't rule us drafting a QB with our first pick in 2020.

Top level ball placement and feel for the position. Not worried about perfect mechanics because he’s still so young, but I gotta see those instincts shine thru.

Like an up-and-coming top ten pick with a year of experience should play --- whatever that is.

Back
Top Bottom