Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Any NFL organization would dump any player in a heartbeat if they underperformed contract. Why shouldn’t a player renegotiate if they outplayed it? NFL is a business, and he deserves it for how he played last year.
A few differences:

- that’s not how the CBA was negotiated between owners and players;
- there are cap implications (often) to outright cutting a player with years left on their deal, so teams do not cut players just for underperforming;
- he has four years left on his deal. He missed substantial games the previous two years. Is he giving back that money?
- the cap is depressed right now due to covid
- players know when they sign a long term deal they’re trading longer term earning for shorter term security. If you don’t want to have that happen, keep signing one year deals.

I don’t care if he holds out. Go for it. Miss all camp for all I care. But don’t miss games. Four years left on his contract with an injury history is not a great position of bargaining strength. Sorry X. Team has stood by him during some rocky times, you’ll just have to find a way to make ends meet on $15 million per year.

I have not heard any mention of a 2021 option. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but do you have a link?
The option is for the 2022 season, he's locked up for 2021. That's why I said it's not uncommon for players to try to re-work their deals one year before their option. I'll try to find a link.

If the Covid opt-outs showed the league anything, it's that the teams really didn't hurt as badly as they thought. If he wants to hold out a year, let him sit at home and watch his team be great without him. He won't get another contract from the Dolphins.

Byron Jones isn't the highest anymore, it's Jalen Ramsey.

Jones is 5th
Howard 6th
Howard is reporting as wanting more yes?
Dolphins are not making the playoffs again this season. I just want to know where the balance lies. Something has to give soon. Offense needs a serious upgrade in the Draft if they are paying 2 Cornerbacks top 5 money. The LB Corps needs help as well.

If the Covid opt-outs showed the league anything, it's that the teams really didn't hurt as badly as they thought. If he wants to hold out a year, let him sit at home and watch his team be great without him. He won't get another contract from the Dolphins.
What percentage of Covid opt-outs were players who made DIFFERENCE on game day?

Does a contract from the Dolphins contain less money than a contract from another franchise?

We had a good season. We haven't been consistent enough to think that Miami is THEE place to be above all others.

They won't be great without him

Howard is reporting as wanting more yes?
Dolphins are not making the playoffs again this season. I just want to know where the balance lies. Something has to give soon. Offense needs a serious upgrade in the Draft if they are paying 2 Cornerbacks top 5 money. The LB Corps needs help as well.
So someone says.

Here's the list of top $$ corners

I think it's too early and soon to give him more cash. He is paid already to perform like he did. We need serious offensive firepower because in reality, that's what wins championships now...QB and playmakers that win matchups.

Trade him to Philly for the 6th overall pick. They can use DB's BADLY!

If you aren't going to trade him, pony up the money. This way you prevent him from getting doctor's notes for routine knee surgery that will take 4 weeks to heal, while we're in the middle of a playoff chase.

the problem i have with this is if his numbers and play in general drop off next year can the dolphins renogiate for less...?

he should honor the contract he signed
Agree but alas it's the way it works nowadays. A player plays crap and they still get paid well because the contract they signed makes sure of that. IF a player plays to level that he was expected to because he actually got a very good deal...he suddenly demands more money because he he did better than the contract he signed up to.
Those contracts might as well end up in a shredder. Not worth the paper they are written on if players can dictate after one season a pay rise.

I'm so sick off this part of the game now. Greed plain and simple. You already get paid enough in 1 year to live forever comfortably and these kids bitch? I realize he hasn't done it and it's just speculation but it really gets me down on the game as a whole. "Don't touch my money if I get hurt or suck but give it to me if it works in my favor."
There is no justification for the greed this sport has developed. I'm glad the cap is going down.

Some people round here need to step away during the offseason.

Players ask for money all the time, just like people at their place of employment. Only difference is its reported in the NFL.

I'm so sick off this part of the game now. Greed plain and simple. You already get paid enough in 1 year to live forever comfortably and these kids bitch? I realize he hasn't done it and it's just speculation but it really gets me down on the game as a whole. "Don't touch my money if I get hurt or suck but give it to me if it works in my favor."
There is no justification for the greed this sport has developed. I'm glad the cap is going down.
Absolutely...

The whole idea of "I was the 4th best X, so I should get at least the 4th highest amount of money" idea is just CRAP.

Are you in the neighborhood? Did you get a bonus when you signed? Then shut the Hell up and act like a man, rather than a criminal.

Back
Top Bottom