Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

when he signed the contract he was the highest paid corner, holding out on the team that showed enough faith to make you the highest paid corner after coming back from injury is a dick move...he gonna hold out everytime a corner gets a better deal than him?

i got no problem with a person trying to get more money in their line of work cuz lets be real everybody always feels theyre underpaid no matter what profession it is but at the end of the day, he signed a contract, noone held a gun to his head and forced him to sign it...he got paid alot of money and played well, he wouldve gotten paid the same amount if he played like **** this year
Srop worrying about how much billionaire pay millionaire. Unless we are in desperate cap situation.

We want to win, period.

Srop worrying about how much billionaire pay millionaire. Unless we are in desperate cap situation.

We want to win, period.
that millionaire was made a millionaire by that billionaire when the now millionaire was coming off an injury, its nice when a millionaire plays like a millonaire for a change tho right? its about time one of our millionaires earned the money we were paying him instead of going thru the motions and cashing the checks.

If you were the highest paid person at your place of work amongst your peers and the company hired someone else for more who after awhile you knew didn't do as much as you, you'd be cool with it?

Show me someone who would be fine with that and I'll show you a beta sucker.

Always fight for what you're worth. Always.
I work on 3 year contracts. Fight tooth and nail every time it comes to negotiations to get better terms. Sometimes the leverage is using others pay who don't do as much. I can't fault them for getting a better contract after I did, but I can use that price point as a stepping stone to get a higher raise when I'm up for negotiations.

Honoring contracts doesn't make you a sucker , it makes you a man of his word.

Also your example would only apply to someone working at an hourly rate. Not a contracted salary. Come contract time though you better believe I'm getting paid! lol

If I added up all of the negative posts about Howard wanting a few million more and all of the negative posts about Jordan Howard stealing $5 mil from the team this year, guess which topic will have more negative posts?

This has absolutely nothing to do with being a "team" guy or the salary cap ramifications. Dig deep within yourselves and ask what this is really all about.

I work on 3 year contracts. Fight tooth and nail every time it comes to negotiations to get better terms. Sometimes the leverage is using others pay who don't do as much. I can't fault them for getting a better contract after I did, but I can use that price point as a stepping stone to get a higher raise when I'm up for negotiations.

Honoring contracts doesn't make you a sucker , it makes you a man of his word.
Except it's not really a "contract". Nobody can fire you on Day 2 of yours and then refuse to pay.

Except it's not really a "contract". Nobody can fire you on Day 2 of yours and then refuse to pay.
Please explain to me? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

His contract had a guaranteed value which he makes regardless of performance. He could have been cut 30 mins after he signed and he would have got all the guaranteed money. Performance bonuses and such obviously are not in play, but that's why you fight to get guaranteed money.

Please explain to me? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

His contract had a guaranteed value which he makes regardless of performance. He could have been cut 30 mins after he signed and he would have got all the guaranteed money. Performance bonuses and such obviously are not in play, but that's why you fight to get guaranteed money.
Ok, so now we're only talking about the guaranteed money.

1610905954187.png

Can you figure out why Howard might want more at this point?

In 2019 Howard got paid like the top corner in the League and ranked as #4. This year PFF has him ranked at #2. He's already played one year being the highest paid corner in the League. Since he signed his 5 year contract he hasn't been ranked #1. He can revisit his contract at the end of it or get ranked #1 next year to justify what he's already been paid. Otherwise, shut up and play.

If he doesn't want to do that well then I still like Howard and Tua for Watson straight up and keep all our picks...
The Texans aren’t trading Watson for Tua and Howard straight up. It would take at least two first round picks and a second round pick, along with Tua and Howard for the Texans to be interested in a trade for Watson. That would be a ridiculous trade for the Dolphins and not one I would have any interest in seeing them make.

I'm not to worried about this to be honest. We can easily kick some more towards him to satisfy his demands, one thing I don't worry about with Grier is the salary cap. He has shown to be quite savvy with his contracts and this would be all about the structure of the contract.

We've waiting way to long to have an all-pro on our team and even with his injury history, I am not in any rush to get rid of him because of a few million dollars.

If you were the highest paid person at your place of work amongst your peers and the company hired someone else for more who after awhile you knew didn't do as much as you, you'd be cool with it?

Show me someone who would be fine with that and I'll show you a beta sucker.

Always fight for what you're worth. Always.
Sports is basically the one place where contracts aren’t honored. Coaches break contracts all the time to sign for a higher contract with another team or university. Players sign a contract and then want a new contract if they have a good year.

In private industry once you sign a contract you are obligated to work under that contract and it doesn’t matter if someone else is making more money than you are. In the NFL players are only assured they will receive the guaranteed money in their contract and they receive nothing beyond that guaranteed money if they are cut.

While I understand why players want to renegotiate after having an excellent season. The organization doesn’t have that same option if the player has a
lousy season or hardly plays because of injury. They can either cut the player to void the contract or pay him the money he signed for if they keep him on the roster the next year.

I remember many years ago I had a good friend who felt like he deserved more money for the job he was doing. He decided to follow your advise above and fight for more money. He went into his boss and told his boss that he was worth more money and if the boss wasn’t willing to pay him what he thought he was worth, he would quit. He figured that since he had been with the company over 10 years at the time and had constantly received outstanding evaluations the boss would give in because he wouldn’t want to lose him as an employee.

The boss told him that they would be sorry to lose him but they were not able to meet his salary demands. He decided to quit the job because he thought he was worth more and felt he was being treated unfairly. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t able to find a job which paid him the type of money he was earning in the job he quit and he eventually regretted his decision to quit his job. So fighting for what you think you deserve is a nice idea. Sometimes you have to realize that you better be willing to deal with the consequences if you make demands your boss isn’t willing to meet.

Ok, so now we're only talking about the guaranteed money.

View attachment 62834

Can you figure out why Howard might want more at this point?

Have you ever had a contract negotiation before? Of course we're talking guaranteed money since that's the only thing that's you know.... guaranteed. Performance bonuses and other types of bonuses are always a bet on yourself. The guy agreed to a 5 year deal. Not a 1 year deal, not 2, not 3. A 5 year deal.

When I go into contract negotiations in March, I will also have a list of the salaries from my field. Some of them got contracts within my 3 year agreement which paid better even though they have a much smaller workload. They're still in my tier/skillset level. Part of that reason they got paid more was doing the exact same thing, using my salary as a starting point. The next guy in line to get paid almost always gets paid more, thus resetting the price points floor for the next contract negotiation. I could easily negotiate a 1 year deal this time around and try to keep resetting my salary annually, but I would be giving up my insurance that 3 year deal provides.

I, like Howard, would only receive my guaranteed salary. So 27 million dollars for him, regardless of being cut from day 1 after signing. Once again, bonuses are almost always a bet on yourself and you should have a full understanding of how they work if you're negotiating.

Let me be clear Kam , I don't disagree with Howards thinking at all. He should want more, and played well enough to at least guarantee the rest of that contract. I have no issue with him being vocal about his desire to be paid more, but if he starts holding out and creating distractions the team doesn't need or deserve, then it's an issue. In the end he made a choice to sign a 5 year deal, and with only 1 full healthy season under his belt I don't blame him for making that financially secure choice.

I believe Miami should guarantee the rest of his contract and we can revisit an extension/raise after more then 1 year of time on a 5 year agreement.

Sports is basically the one place where contracts aren’t honored. Coaches break contracts all the time to sign for a higher contract with another team or university. Players sign a contract and then want a new contract if they have a good year.

In private industry once you sign a contract you are obligated to work under that contract and it doesn’t matter if someone else is making more money than you are. In the NFL players are only assured they will receive the guaranteed money in their contract and they receive nothing beyond that guaranteed money if they are cut.

While I understand why players want to renegotiate after having an excellent season. The organization doesn’t have that same option if the player has a
lousy season or hardly plays because of injury. They can either cut the player to void the contract or pay him the money he signed for if they keep him on the roster the next year.

I remember many years ago I had a good friend who felt like he deserved more money for the job he was doing. He decided to follow your advise above and fight for more money. He went into his boss and told his boss that he was worth more money and if the boss wasn’t willing to pay him what he thought he was worth, he would quit. He figured that since he had been with the company over 10 years at the time and had constantly received outstanding evaluations the boss would give in because he wouldn’t want to lose him as an employee.

The boss told him that they would be sorry to lose him but they were not able to meet his salary demands. He decided to quit the job because he thought he was worth more and felt he was being treated unfairly. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t able to find a job which paid him the type of money he was earning in the job he quit and he eventually regretted his decision to quit his job. So fighting for what you think you deserve is a nice idea. Sometimes you have to realize that you better be willing to deal with the consequences if you make demands your boss isn’t willing to meet.
Yup, but I would have told your friend he needed to have another offer in hand first before making these types of decisions. Rookie mistake.

In Howard's case, if the team were to cut him in this same scenario, he'd have a list of suitors ready and willing to pay him that much because that is the market's worth which is what he's trying to get from his current employer. Hell, it was proven by the same job when they paid Byron Jones more money.

Last edited:
Have you ever had a contract negotiation before? Of course we're talking guaranteed money since that's the only thing that's you know.... guaranteed. Performance bonuses and other types of bonuses are always a bet on yourself. The guy agreed to a 5 year deal. Not a 1 year deal, not 2, not 3. A 5 year deal.

When I go into contract negotiations in March, I will also have a list of the salaries from my field. Some of them got contracts within my 3 year agreement which paid better even though they have a much smaller workload. They're still in my tier/skillset level. Part of that reason they got paid more was doing the exact same thing, using my salary as a starting point. The next guy in line to get paid almost always gets paid more, thus resetting the price points floor for the next contract negotiation. I could easily negotiate a 1 year deal this time around and try to keep resetting my salary annually, but I would be giving up my insurance that 3 year deal provides.

I, like Howard, would only receive my guaranteed salary. So 27 million dollars for him, regardless of being cut from day 1 after signing. Once again, bonuses are almost always a bet on yourself and you should have a full understanding of how they work if you're negotiating.

Let me be clear Kam , I don't disagree with Howards thinking at all. He should want more, and played well enough to at least guarantee the rest of that contract. I have no issue with him being vocal about his desire to be paid more, but if he starts holding out and creating distractions the team doesn't need or deserve, then it's an issue. In the end he made a choice to sign a 5 year deal, and with only 1 full healthy season under his belt I don't blame him for making that financially secure choice.

I believe Miami should guarantee the rest of his contract and we can revisit an extension/raise after more then 1 year of time on a 5 year agreement.
I agree with you, but I will say in the vast majority of cases where this happens the only "distractions" are with us, the fans on a message board. The teammates are generally on board with it because they want to be treated the same way.

Back
Top Bottom