Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Tua, Howard, and 18 for Watson and their 3rd or 2022 2nd. I’d do that in a second

Yeah, they will. It’s pretty cool, they also let you turn off the salary cap to meet Howard’s demands, and injuries so you don’t have to worry about Howard’s knees or Tua’s anything

I know! Make believe meets reality on FH.

Look, the reality is that X had 10 INT's and this was likely the best season of his career. It's nearly impossible to top that. There is no better time to renegotiate a contract from a player's perspective. Yes, it's the pandemic, but he's up for DPOY, so he's going to strike while the iron is hot. He slipped from the highest paid CB in the NFL, to out of the top 5, and despite his career year, he isn't even the highest paid CB on his team. He's healthy, productive, and is a primary reason why our defense has been dominant and the team has won so many games. This is THE time to renegotiate.

Nobody is surprised he wants to renegotiate. We have cap space, so his agent smells blood in the water. It's a new agent--and X. has changed his agent a lot so clearly he wants more money.

Can we re-sign him? Should we break the bank for him? What is his trade value in this salary cap reduction pandemic time? All very important questions. The higher his demands, the less likely we can re-sign him and the lower his trade value. But ultimately, this is the type of problem the Steelers and Patriots face every year, so we'll just have to deal with it if we start making a habit of 10 win seasons.

IMHO, re-sign X if we can do it without breaking the bank. If that's not possible, see what we can get in a trade. If neither option works ... honor his contract and revisit the issue a year from now. Given X's injury history and how unlikely it is he can repeat a double-digit INT season ... there will almost certainly be a point of better leverage to negotiate this next year. As Igbinoghene proved ... simply replacing a 2nd round pick (Xavien Howard) with a 1st round pick (Noah Igbinoghene) is not a win. Production is hard to find in the NFL, and takeaways are worth their weight in gold ... and both X and his agent know it.

A GM can't really put himself in a position where he renegotiates a major contract after 1 year into a 5 year deal. If he caves pretty much everyone on the roster will want the same. And I wouldn't blame them for asking/demanding it.

Also talk of a 100% chance of holding out is very easy to do in January. I'd place more stock into the threat when it occurs a week or two after camp begins.

A GM can't really put himself in a position where he renegotiates a major contract after 1 year into a 5 year deal. If he caves pretty much everyone on the roster will want the same. And I wouldn't blame them for asking/demanding it.

Also talk of a 100% chance of holding out is very easy to do in January. I'd place more stock into the threat when it occurs a week or two after camp begins.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

GM/HC really looks like a pu**y being held over a barrel by a player in year #1 of a 5 year deal.

If X attempts to do this, Flores and Grier will hand him his a$$ in a hat.

Let him sit, for the next 4 F**king years and receive no salary and many fines

New era of player and the more success you have the more bs the team goes through...necessary evil unfortunately.
Sports catching up to the rest of the world. If you make your employee unhappy, ad he has other options, he may exercise them.

Always amazing to me when fans of teams, turn on players that they cheered for all year, because the player wants to renegotiate. The teams hold all the leverage in the NFL. Cut guys after 1 years of contracts. Cut guys after getting injured on the field for their team. Yet we get mad when players want more money and security. With the way the NFL contracts are set up, I am FOR every player wanting a raise every season. F the owners pocket books. Players deserve better and more.

Sports catching up to the rest of the world. If you make your employee unhappy, ad he has other options, he may exercise them.
Yes but he didn't have a gun to his head when he just signed his contract. I don't know but I think he was quite happy coming off a injury and getting a new contract. Of course he balled this year and stayed healthy so of course he feels like he is worth more and based on this year he is. So if we give him $20m /season and his knee issues arise again or he has a subpar year does the team take some of his $$$ back?

I don't know, I just see it as a big problem whenever a player has a pro bowl year. Why not just get a contract with incentives that pump you up for performance but doesn't strangle an org on down years? Either way, it's the agents that love this and in fact promote it as their the ones benefiting most. Glad it's not my money but I loved the old days when players stuck around a bit, different world man.

Always amazing to me when fans of teams, turn on players that they cheered for all year, because the player wants to renegotiate. The teams hold all the leverage in the NFL. Cut guys after 1 years of contracts. Cut guys after getting injured on the field for their team. Yet we get mad when players want more money and security. With the way the NFL contracts are set up, I am FOR every player wanting a raise every season. F the owners pocket books. Players deserve better and more.
Howard wasn't cut when he struggled and in fact was given a new contract...he'll survive

Tack on a year or two at the end of the deal with some ridiculous base salaries to bump the yearly average. Convert some of the next few year's base into a roster bonus for this season so he gets another nice check in hand. The new agent gets paid, player gets his bragging rights and another few mil in his hands, and maybe the team saves a little bit in years 3-5 of the deal when there's the potential for the contract to turn into an albatross.

Back
Top Bottom