Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Well IF a trade for Watson happened many say it would take 4-1sts or the equivalent in picks and players. Howard is worth two and if Tua is as good as everyone says he is then Tua is worth 2. Even if we had to give up Howard, Tua and our 18th I'd still do that. Then take the 3rd pick and trade it down for possibly 2-1sts or a 1st and 2nd and pick up some skill players.

Howard,Tua and the 18th pick for Watson...If the reports about Howard are accurate I'd rather ship him out then have a cancer grow in the locker room...
Howard is on a huge contract and wants more money. He also has a history of injuries since coming into the league and the Texans are basically going to be in a rebuilding mode for the next few years. So I don’t think they would see Howard as a player they view as being worth 2 first round picks for them.
Any trade with the Dolphins for Watson would likely entail the Dolphins having to trade Tua plus 4 first round draft picks to the Texans.

I think if the Dolphins offered the Texans Howard, Tua, and the 18th pick for Watson, the Texans would just laugh at the offer and hang up the phone.

Well IF a trade for Watson happened many say it would take 4-1sts or the equivalent in picks and players. Howard is worth two and if Tua is as good as everyone says he is then Tua is worth 2. Even if we had to give up Howard, Tua and our 18th I'd still do that. Then take the 3rd pick and trade it down for possibly 2-1sts or a 1st and 2nd and pick up some skill players.

Howard,Tua and the 18th pick for Watson...If the reports about Howard are accurate I'd rather ship him out then have a cancer grow in the locker room...
4 1st? No one did say that except you.
Whereas your source?
I scan news and local and national talking heads, no one said that.

Howard is on a huge contract and wants more money. He also has a history of injuries since coming into the league and the Texans are basically going to be in a rebuilding mode for the next few years. So I don’t think they would see Howard as a player they view as being worth 2 first round picks for them.
Any trade with the Dolphins for Watson would likely entail the Dolphins having to trade Tua plus 4 first round draft picks to the Texans.

I think if the Dolphins offered the Texans Howard, Tua, and the 18th pick for Watson, the Texans would just laugh at the offer and hang up the phone.
They don't happen very often, but a three way trade might work here. X's value should be two #1s, but his suitors would all be in win-now mode. Maybe a competitor team would give up those two #1s as their part of a trade that shipped these picks to Houston, while we shipped Tua and some sweeteners to Houston.

Not endorsing this... only submitting it to be kicked around.

If Houston would accept 3 #1s and 2 #2s for Watson... our part could be X, Tua and both our #2s from this year... Houston would get 5 draft picks; we'd get a true top 5 QB, and the third team would net X (and his contract demands).

It might work.

4 1st? No one did say that except you.
Whereas your source?
I scan news and local and national talking heads, no one said that.

Plenty of options there, some suggesting less than 4 1st round picks

HYPOTHETICAL TRADE #1:​

Miami Dolphins → No. 3 (acquired via Houston), No. 18, 2022 1st, Tua Tagovailoa

Just imagine the headlines if Miami sent the draft pick they acquired from Houston in the Laremy Tunsil trade back to Houston in exchange for Deshaun Watson. The DeAndre Hopkins trade would look like a slam dunk for the Texans by comparison. Including Tagovailoa here will certainly be controversial, as he’s started only nine NFL games and has not definitively shown one way or the other whether he’ll carve out a career in the league for himself. Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert completely distorted our perception of Tagovailoa, as well, as he had an above-average rookie season for a quarterback but appeared to struggle by comparison to his draft cohorts.

Nevertheless, Houston gets the ransom they’re looking for, and Miami gets the franchise quarterback they set out to land when they decided to bottom out and restart.

With Tagovailoa included here, Houston could use the No. 3 pick on a player like LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase and forget all about DeAndre Hopkins once and for all.

Last edited:
Rework his contract, with many bonuses in 2022 allowing him to be the highest paid cb in the league . The cap goes up in 2022 and I believe we can walk from Jones if Iggy is ready.

Yeah but Howard himself never said this, his agent didn’t say this. It’s really just speculation at this point
Gotcha but this whole thread was about Howard playing hardball.
Rather have him on board than jumping ship but this whole seeking a better deal after mths signing to a legit, well paid, made for life and your family is set for life deal....it stinks in my opinion but im a blue collar worker so what do I know. I know greed.

Rework his contract, with many bonuses in 2022 allowing him to be the highest paid cb in the league . The cap goes up in 2022 and I believe we can walk from Jones if Iggy is ready.
Rework now.
Don't want to keep losing our good players. For you all didn't want to pay Landry, or wanted to cheap out a couple mils....we could have gotten into playoff if we got Landry.
Some fans never learn.

He literally just signed his contract. If he wanted to bet on himself and get a larger offer he should have taken a 2 year deal with a player option.

Can't see him holding out 1 year into a 5 year deal.
I won't get upset yet until I hear from Howard himself about this. The man just signed an extension last year!! And he's going to start crying already? This makes no sense.

Rework now.
Don't want to keep losing our good players. For you all didn't want to pay Landry, or wanted to cheap out a couple mils....we could have gotten into playoff if we got Landry.
Some fans never learn.

Really? Landry is the difference between a playoff berth and not?

:bobdole:

Really? Landry is the difference between a playoff berth and not?

:bobdole:
Sure would of, fact is we should double his contract to 30 million a year. Maybe he would have 14 catches for 40 yards and a TD. Sure would of helped make the playoffs when he beat the Bills week 17 with them kind of numbers.

Absolutely, he would help in the five loses we had.
Do the math, we had six loses, not only one to the Bills.

Cool! If you think Landry was going to help us beat the Bills(2x), Patriots, Broncos, Seattle etc. Then i'm not going to waste anymore time exchanging post with you.

Look up history, law doesn't mean its right.
Then people should not start Boston tea party, and should not start Franch revolution, its all against the law. Law allowed slavery before civil war.

Law 101. Go learn it.
Are you seriously comparing those events, and situations to contract disputes of multi millionaire players, and multi billionaire owners.

Keep a little contextually realistic perspective.

The fact is there are well defined contracts, and a mechanism of arbitration for settling disputes.

Or were you just being arguementative?

What is Howard worth right now? Could we get Jalen Ramsey type comp? If so sign me up

I'll preface this by saying I've only read the first 5 pages of the thread but...

Under the new CBA signed last off-season, players under non-rookie contracts would be foolish to hold out. If a player fails to report to the team's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date they will not receive an accrued season for any league year in which the player is under contract (which I believe means his contract carries over to the next year). It also prevents them from playing shenanigans like not practicing/faking injury. Also, daily fines up to $50K which can not be waived once the player reports.

Back
Top Bottom