Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Not at all. Nearly all NFL contracts are guaranteed money and then fluff. Players and agents generally only care about the guaranteed money, and when it's over, teams cut them or players ask for a renegotiation. Think of the non-guaranteed years as a "team option" like in the NBA. It gives teams the ability to retain the player but play with the contract. Maybe you extend them but front or back load it.
You aren't wrong, but the player has the option to negotiate for more gauranteed, and less total.

If they choose the high number, and early gauranteed, that's what they get.

Hell, he hasn't even collected the whole gaurantee yet.

X comes off as kind of angry dude. I followed him on IG for awhile and his lives were always kind of in disgust of the fans. But I love anyone who can get 10 ints for the Phins. Great player not sure what kinda person he is. See him as a (damn good) me first player.

Have you ever done contract work? You contract the rate, not the total sum. If I do more than what you've initially asked me to do, I'm charging more money based on my time spent.

Howard overperformed relative to his contract's expectations and he's using the leverage to charge more.

Yes, but usually I would expect that language to be in the contract already. It should also be clearly spelled out that what you are giving is an ESTIMATE and not a final bill.

It's like what you are referring to is when you hire a mover and they give you an 'estimate' with a clause in the contract specifically stating that the price can go up. The thing is a lot of movers are scammers that use that clause in the contract to drum up charges above and beyond what would be deemed reasonable in a court of law, and end up hijacking your stuff until you pay up. Since it's in the contract that they signed, most people are completely screwed.

That's why its essential that before any work is done, all terms of the contractual work are ironed out ahead of time. If a specific dollar amount cannot be agreed upon, then both parties would be advised to put barriers as to how far the total dollar amount can reach. If not, your just asking for a lawsuit, one that you may or may not win at considerable time and cost for everyone involved.

In this instance, he probably hired a new agent because he is mad that his previous agent didn't get him a better deal. However, HE signed this deal and if he decides after such a short time to not honor it then..........

I can only imagine that what happened was that he signed on thinking his knee was very iffy, and didn't know himself if he could play at this level still. Now that he had a great year he wants to go back to the table. If he had one year left on the deal...heck 2 years left...and he played a couple of years without missing time, showing that his knee can hold up, then I'd see his point.

I don't think he ever really intended on honoring this deal to be honest, unless he couldn't come back from the injury right.

I can see his side of it in that he wanted, and wants, to get as much $$$ as he can no matter what. However, what's the point then of having a contract at all if you are just going into it without ever having the intention of honoring it UNLESS it's completely in your favor all of the time. For that he should've added a clause or whatnot into the deal saying something like "should the player be able to come back from injury, and perform at a Pro Bowl level anytime during the term of this contract, the players base salary (or guaranteed salary?) automatically increases to match the top 1-3 players salary at that players position".

Odds are the Dolphins would've said 'no' to that...so he signs on anyway and says to himself 'I'll just hold out if they don't give me a new deal'.

You can argue that players should have a way out since teams can cut players at any point in time, salary cap be damned. If that's the case though then we really don't have 'contracts', what we have is salary agreements and 'at will' employment like in the real world when you can tell your employer to take a hike, whenever you like, and of course, likewise.

Yes but he didn't have a gun to his head when he just signed his contract. I don't know but I think he was quite happy coming off a injury and getting a new contract. Of course he balled this year and stayed healthy so of course he feels like he is worth more and based on this year he is. So if we give him $20m /season and his knee issues arise again or he has a subpar year does the team take some of his $$$ back?

I don't know, I just see it as a big problem whenever a player has a pro bowl year. Why not just get a contract with incentives that pump you up for performance but doesn't strangle an org on down years? Either way, it's the agents that love this and in fact promote it as their the ones benefiting most. Glad it's not my money but I loved the old days when players stuck around a bit, different world man.
No, he didn't have a gun to his head when he signed, and he's not putting a gun to anyone's head now.

Our luck we do this and he is injured and misses half if not all of the season. Better to trade for 1st and a 2nd

Didn't someone mention that this contract was due/bound for a touch-up, and both parties were somewhat aware of that?

We have the money to pay a bonafide playmaker...what are we saving it for, an extension for Tua?

If the Dolphins can get a first and a second for Howard, they should trade him immediately if he is actually demanding a restructure of his contract. He did play excellent this past season but he has a history of injuries in the NFL and he has had 2 excellent seasons out of 5 years in the league.

He probably played at the highest level he will ever play at in the NFL this past season. The Dolphins could trade him and then draft a CB in the first round
with the pick they get for him. They would be paying that CB far less than they pay Howard and hopefully the new CB would be effective at the NFL level.

My preference would be that they keep Howard and he plays under the contract he signed two years ago. I just don’t agree with the Dolphins giving in to him and restructuring his contract. If he has another season like 2020 next season perhaps they can talk about restructuring at that time. He signed the present contract before the 2019 season. He spent the majority of the 2019 on injured reserve and yet he received all the money he was owed. The Dolphins didn’t ask him to restructure his contract because he was hurt and didn’t play most of the 2019 season.

Hopefully Howard and the Dolphins can resolve this issue before the 2021 season begins and if not the Dolphins are able to trade him for at least a first and second round draft pick.

I understand requesting more guaranteed money, but Miami took a chance on signing him to a massive extension while he was injured. There were a lot of people in the NFL media questioning it when we did. Mixed feelings about this.

Huh? You think he's gonna shoot the Texans owner? Lmao
Message board dude, relax I’m not an enemy just a fan for about 50 years. I like Tua, I like DW, I like X. More importantly I would like to see a good run before COVID or some other terrible disease gets me.

You aren't wrong, but the player has the option to negotiate for more gauranteed, and less total.

If they choose the high number, and early gauranteed, that's what they get.

Hell, he hasn't even collected the whole gaurantee yet.
I really doubt any star is going into a season with no guaranteed money.

Back
Top Bottom