Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Howard, Tua pick 36 for Watson.... they can have Davenport back too lol

I really doubt any star is going into a season with no guaranteed money.
So he never had any intention of fulfilling his contract obligations?

I can't do nearly enough mental gymnastics to spin that as a good thing.

And for the record, Howard has every right to ask for more money when he’s the best (or top 2) player in the league at his position and isn’t the highest paid player on his his team at that position.

If Byron Jones had been elite, maybe not an issue for X25.

I see a trade coming here, Tennessee makes a lot of sense. May be their lost shot with Tannehill, Vrabel and co.

If Howard does get traded Miami already has a 1st round pick and a top $$$ FA invested at the position, so things could be worse. Plus if they trade Howard they could get a good draft pick or two and clear some cap space. I'm alll for keeping Howard, but if he leaves that's not so bad either. It really feels like a win-win if they can get a 1st round pick or two second round picks in a trade for Howard.

Last edited:
X seems like a good dude, saw him on a interview that someone posted here with Richard Sherman. When a high profile Agent gets involved, things will usually get muddy unfortunately.

True, there is a big difference between a trade and a good trade - remember Tunsil?
Well to be fair, if it was already decided that we weren't going to meet JLs contract demands, it was better to trade him for whatever, than just let him walk as a FA.

The decision whether to retain, or not, can be argued. The trade itself was just getting something rather than nothing.

In that respect, it wasn't a bad trade, IMO.

If I'm reading this right, the Dolphins have an out after next season. Can't say I blame him, NFL contracts should be fully guarateed.

Both ways?

That would mean no re-negotiation and performance guarantee's backed by reduced pay for failing to meet stated performance goals.

Have you ever done contract work? You contract the rate, not the total sum. If I do more than what you've initially asked me to do, I'm charging more money based on my time spent.

Howard overperformed relative to his contract's expectations and he's using the leverage to charge more.

What expectations were stated in the contract?

Looking at the contract, looks like if we traded him this year, we would save $9.3mill on the cap but incur $4.2 mill in dead money, financially it may make more sense to trade him next year where the dead money drops to $2.8 mill and $11.5mill in savings. Neither scenario though is not doable and if the compensation is right this year, I expect them to take it, the development of Iggy or who they pick up in the draft this year will determine how wise a move that will be.

So he never had any intention of fulfilling his contract obligations?

I can't do nearly enough mental gymnastics to spin that as a good thing.
No one is saying it’s a good thing, just that that is the way it’s done in the league. If you are not worth it, the team cuts you when there is none guaranteed. If you are, sometimes they convert some to guaranteed and extend a year or two. If you are all-pro,you get a bump. Don’t know why we are holding to a diff standard than anyone in the league.

Back
Top Bottom