Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

He;s a great player and wouldn't want to trade him, but there's a limit to even good players. He was great this season, but it seems top cbs have shorter windows or playing great than other positions. Has he peaked? And don't forget hasn't he had injury issues too? I thought he missed basically most of last season. We could have that same scenario of him next season if we paid him even more and more into our cap space. If there is good trade value for teams giving up good value back, then it might be for miami to trade him

Hope this isn’t the case. Would he give money back if he underperformed? Also the whole sitting out thing only works if you have a year left. Guys on the hook for 4 years, what are you going to do sit out for 4 years and miss out on 55 million and commit career suicide because you want to make a few million a more a year? I don’t know maybe Miami throws him a bone and gives him an extra 1-2 million a year maybe throws in incentives like a million every 2 ints and 5 knockdowns or something like that.

Hope this isn’t the case. Would he give money back if he underperformed? Also the whole sitting out thing only works if you have a year left. Guys on the hook for 4 years, what are you going to do sit out for 4 years and miss out on 55 million and commit career suicide because you want to make a few million a more a year? I don’t know maybe Miami throws him a bone and gives him an extra 1-2 million a year maybe throws in incentives like a million every 2 ints and 5 knockdowns or something like that.
I thought about the incentive thing as a solution.

The problem is would that, for example, cause X to play for INTs, rather than play the receiver when it is the smarter play. It might not even be a "conscious" thing.

I guess it would depend on what the incentive was. Games played would seem fair, given his injury issues.

I’ll believe it when I see it. He makes a ton. He’s worth every penny. $15mm per year - how much is guaranteed?

Pretty sure most of these athletes don't care but regardless : if he holds out, he can kiss any support from our fanbase aside.

Jalen Ramsey is still a better corner than Howard.

If he holds out then trade his ass. I agree.

Regardless, if some team has a Laremy Tunsil like view value wise for Howard and puts in a call, you have to consider. If it's two 1s then I'll be at his house with mask, gloves, and sani ready to help him pack. But if I hear him and his wife getting into it, I'm out.

tenor.gif

2 highest paid players at Cornerback on the same team? Not seeing it. Fact Phins are not even Playoff material (yet) is adding to my opinion.

Sounds amazing but can’t see him doing that

if we want to be fair- Byron should just give some his money back and give it to X lol

After reading more posts and thinking about it- so much wasted money (like Jordan Howard) that we could just spread it out for X’s deal and could get him a little more dough

And yeah, why would he want to be paid less than his inferior team mate
I don’t think any athlete would consider such a contract, unfortunately. In fact, I am willing to bet that the player’s association would have a meltdown at the suggestion of such a contract, lol.

He literally just signed his contract. If he wanted to bet on himself and get a larger offer he should have taken a 2 year deal with a player option.

Can't see him holding out 1 year into a 5 year deal.
Any NFL organization would dump any player in a heartbeat if they underperformed contract. Why shouldn’t a player renegotiate if they outplayed it? NFL is a business, and he deserves it for how he played last year.

Any NFL organization would dump any player in a heartbeat if they underperformed contract. Why shouldn’t a player renegotiate if they outplayed it? NFL is a business, and he deserves it for how he played last year.
Because he signed a contract specifying that he would work, and for how much... He literally CAN'T legally abridge this contract just because he wants to do that.

Oh, he can hold out... but then he won't get paid and the Dolphins will have grounds to sue him for monies that he has already received.

This is a simple contract law case.

And yet they would still have to pay the player any guaranteed money when the contract was agreed upon, regardless of performance. The whole "They can cut a player anytime" argument has little to no legitimate weight when talking about the higher paid guys.

The player had his negotiating opportunity and chose to sign a 5 year deal. Perfect example of "You can't have your cake and eat it."

2 highest paid players at Cornerback on the same team? Not seeing it. Fact Phins are not even Playoff material (yet) is adding to my opinion.
Byron Jones isn't the highest anymore, it's Jalen Ramsey.

Jones is 5th
Howard 6th

Everyone keeps saying Howard just signed his current deal... I believe he just finished year two of his deal and there's an option on his current contract so he could be a free agent after the 2021 season. I'm not saying they should keep him or trade him, I honestly see pros and cons for either move, but it's not that unusual for players to seek to renew or restructure their deals one year before they might be on the market again.

Everyone keeps saying Howard just signed his current deal... I believe he just finished year two of his deal and there's an option on his current contract so he could be a free agent after the 2021 season. I'm not saying they should keep him or trade him, I honestly see pros and cons for either move, but it's not that unusual for players to seek to renew or restructure their deals one year before they might be on the market again.
I have not heard any mention of a 2021 option. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but do you have a link?

Back
Top Bottom