Howard vs. Gordon | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard vs. Gordon

Several things to discover here.

One. When the school year runs has zero impact on when a contract ends. Many school districts will start even though the previous contract has lapsed and the union is willing to work without a contract while the negotiation continued.
I worked over a year without contract one time.

The fact that when I was a student in High School and all the teachers went on strike in the middle of the school year kinda says otherwise.
Two... if indeed, an employee goes on strike while they are under contract... they can be fired and their union sued.

And the above is why I wouldn't touch Gordon... He held out while he was under contract to show up for work.... was fined... and ultimately lost the faith of his employer... and his job thereby.
Then he ran his mouth about how much he was worth...

This ain't gonna fly with Flores. Dude is a straight-shooter and believes in discipline. Primadonnas... ain't gonna stick here.

Laird is far from special, but Patty hustle provides what you want a 3rd down back to deliver. To say he isn't part of any successful team is a bit short sighted
If the best thing you can say about a guy is that he hustles...

Garbage.

I think Laird and Gaskins are fighting for one spot. Whichever one can chip a blitzing linebacker and then catch an outlet pass the best.... will stick... and then mostly play special teams.

Actually, you can. This is called a strike, and you can do this when your contract has lapsed... unlike Gordon's. He held out while he was still under contract... making him untrustworthy.

He ended up costing himself a bunch of money... Good.

those contracts means absolutely nothing teams can cut players anytime regardless of contract.

those contracts means absolutely nothing teams can cut players anytime regardless of contract.
And they are allowed to do this by the terms of that contract and the contract that the players union has signed with the NFL.

Howard was a top five blocking RB in 2018. I don't know what happened last year, maybe he was never really healthy at all.

If he returns to form as one of the best blocking backs in the NFL he will have earned his money right there.

Nobody should be thinking that Howard will be our lead ball carrier. That guy will be drafted and I'm really hoping it's Jonathan Taylor. It isn't often, and perhaps even a rarity that you have the #3 RB in breaking tackles coupled with the fastest RB in the draft. Let's get him!

A fully healthy Howard buying into being a role player on this offense could be way more valuable than most realize.

Gordon is a bell cow, and not that great of one....imo

Apples and Oranges

He didn’t that much worse last year. He was number 9 highest rated player for pass blocking out of all qualifying RBs according to PFF

And they are allowed to do this by the terms of that contract and the contract that the players union has signed with the NFL.

As is he allowed to sit out. Teams use up running backs on their rookie contract then cast them off. The NFL should adopt an arbitration system for rookie players that out perform their contracts. In the end sitting out did little to hurt his career since running backs play much less time.

He didn’t that much worse last year. He was number 9 highest rated player for pass blocking out of all qualifying RBs according to PFF

Well at least he is good for something on passing downs, he may have the worst hands in the NFL

Howard if only for the money side of things. I expect Miami to draft a RB - Dobbins - in May, and he will be the future back for the next 4-5 years at least.

Howard will be the No 2, Ballage will be released, laird will be the No 3 or back to practice squad if eligible.

Worse than Ballage?

I mean, he didn't even try to catch it. Okay, that had nothing to do with his hands, but still...

Well with the combo of both players they are fighting hard for worst hands in nfl. Ballage really has me questioning the coaching staff for starting him the first two games. he should have never played this season

As is he allowed to sit out. Teams use up running backs on their rookie contract then cast them off. The NFL should adopt an arbitration system for rookie players that out perform their contracts. In the end sitting out did little to hurt his career since running backs play much less time.
Umm... no. He isn't. He was under contract and obliged to follow it.
Bell, for instance, was NOT under contract. He had refused to sign his tag and could not be fined.

Umm... no. He isn't. He was under contract and obliged to follow it.
Bell, for instance, was NOT under contract. He had refused to sign his tag and could not be fined.

he went well within the parameters of NFL rules to sit out in games . No player has to play it they don't want to that's their choice. He lost the money for the games he didn't play. Under NFL rules he never had an opportunity to negotiate a contract, draft contracts are very rigidly set. The players union should fight very hard to get rid of 5 year contracts for rookies. Of course neither the union or teams care since players yet to be drafted have no voice in the decision.

If fans want the b**** about players sitting out that's their prerogative but the way running backs are screwed over continually in NFL, many times being used up before they even hit free agency as teams read their best years for pennies on the dollar.

He's going to go she Asian leverage was to sit out even though it did not work out for him last year. Rookies are sacrificed under the the NFL deal with contracts that are basically set by draft position. There is very little room for any negotiation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom