Howard's cryptic tweet | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's cryptic tweet

Exactly.....

Some ppl want all contracts to be simple, fully gauranteed agreements, thinking that would be the only "fair" way.

The reality is, if that were the case, some players might benifit greatly (or not), while players as a whole would find it limiting and detrimental.

With a salary cap, teams would end up handcuffed, and unable to pay good solid players, who aren't necessarily superstars nearly as much.

Think about it. If a team, for whatever reason, found themselves on the hook for 70 mil in contracts to a few underperforming guys, not only would the team be doomed to failure, all the other players would have to play for relative peanuts.

Big picture.........
Bingo...

I’m telling him to go kick rocks.He wouldn’t get a pennymore from me this season.

He should have reported to camp. He should have kept things behind closed doors.
I keep thinking of this expression "Wish in one hand kid, **** in the other, see which one fills up first."

Also unknown is what other teams have offered X. Much better than Miami? Similar, but X wants out? Those, in addition to the offers to Miami.
Well, X really has no say, other than he can accept it.......or not.

Technically, I believe it would be considered "tampering" for otger teams to be in direct negotiations, without the Phin's permission.

We both know that's not reality though.

The Byron Jones signing is seeming like the wrecking ball to the Grier/Flores regime. It was Stupid. Now, we're losing a better player in X and forcing a 'maybe' guy in Iggy to try and be our CB1 cuz Byron Jones is a Bum compared to what he's getting paid.
The Dolphins turned a strength into a weakness and one that is crushing our salary cap. Frustrating.

Technically, I believe it would be considered "tampering" for otger teams to be in direct negotiations, without the Phin's permission.

Especially since agents have multiple clients... Team A can easily speak to Hoard's agent if Hoard's agent represents other players from Team A.

So? they ask... how much is X looking to get?

With the drafting of Iggy, the signing of Byron Jones and the rumors before the 2021 draft, of Miami looking at CB's; does it surprise anyone that Xavien Howard might be traded? Miami has so many DB's on the roster something had to give.

With training camp just a few days away, its not surprising the Dolphins twitter folks and team followers are hinting at him being traded.

I figured the return would be less than Miami fans are expecting. His contract, his demands, age and injury history are working against him, so it seems. At this point, take the best offer and move on. Hopefully if it is indeed, New Orleans, McCoy comes back in return package.
If I’m the Saints and I’m giving up McCoy, Your going to get a conditional fourth that can turn into a second.

Especially since agents have multiple clients... Team A can easily speak to Hoard's agent if Hoard's agent represents other players from Team A.

So? they ask... how much is X looking to get?
Absolutely, but his agent is likely going to, both by necessity and of competency, tend to the vague, rather than specific.

Once X gets traded, he will have more leverage than he does now.

That's how I see it anyway.

Actually, It isn't uncommon for a team to give prospective trade partners permission to talk to a player's agent. I would GUESS a team wouldn't waste time negotiating a trade without knowing the players $ cost. So far, all fans have is rumor and speculation

If Howard sits out, then he loses 12.5 million bucks. How is he ever going to get that 12.5 million back?
The gamble, for him, is that he'll recoup it with the next contract he gets from another team.
It's risky and whoever trades for him is enabling his behavior and essentially welcoming these 'Somali Pirate attacks' to keep occurring.
There's matters of 'fair pay for quality work' and then there's just blatant Ego BS and X is the latter. If X forces this trade, I hope Very Bad Fortune finds him and ruins him.

Absolutely, but his agent is likely going to, both by necessity and of competency, tend to the vague, rather than specific.

Once X gets traded, he will have more leverage than he does now.

That's how I see it anyway.
You're probably correct...

Then the team would say something like... Would Hoard be interested in speaking with us about a contract if the Dolphins give their approval?

Guys threaten to hold out. Teams threaten to no renegotiate their contracts. Rarely are both cases the final position.
True, but rarely are the circumstances exactly as they are here.

Usually players do this in the final year of a contract. Usually it is players who are at least a bit younger. Usually the player in question doesn't have the extensive history of missing a substantial number of games.

The Byron Jones signing is seeming like the wrecking ball to the Grier/Flores regime. It was Stupid. Now, we're losing a better player in X and forcing a 'maybe' guy in Iggy to try and be our CB1 cuz Byron Jones is a Bum compared to what he's getting paid.
The Dolphins turned a strength into a weakness and one that is crushing our salary cap. Frustrating.
While I agree Jones is overpaid, I believe every free agent is overpaid. Unfortunately that is how the free agent market works when several teams are bidding on players their previous team feels aren’t worth what they want in a new contract.

While there is no doubt Howard is the best CB on the roster. Jones is clearly better than every other CB on the roster and anyone expecting Iggy to be the immediate #1 CB if Howard isn’t on the roster will be disappointed. Perhaps in a couple of years Iggy might develop into a solid CB in the NFL but I just don’t see that happening in 2021.

While I agree Jones is overpaid, I believe every free agent is overpaid. Unfortunately that is how the free agent market works when several teams are bidding on players their previous team feels aren’t worth what they want in a new contract.

While there is no doubt Howard is the best CB on the roster. Jones is clearly better than every other CB on the roster and anyone expecting Iggy to be the immediate #1 CB if Howard isn’t on the roster will be disappointed. Perhaps in a couple of years Iggy might develop into a solid CB in the NFL but I just don’t see that happening in 2021.
I'm not convinced that Jones is overpaid... He's already been knocked down to 5th place in the per/year standings. This isn't an overpayment, this is inflation and market timing. By next year, he'll be 10th or lower... and by the following year, he could well be out of the top 20 entirely. He is a well regarded cornerback within the NFL. He was widely considered the prime available CB in his FA class, and he parleyed that into a very nice contract... but now it shrinks as inflation hits.

Then there is the availability factor... He's missed exactly 3 games because of injury... in his career. Not in a season... in his entire career. The lowest % his snap count has ever dropped was to 79%-- and he can (and does) play special teams too.

Take a look at his statistical line... and you won't see many INTs, but his tackle totals are DOUBLE what Hoard supplies. He's a tougher player than Hoard, a better person, and a much better teammate.

Hoard gets INTs... when he plays. He's missed 22 games in one less season than Jones... Hoard is pretty... like a racehorse-- and about as durable.

What does that mean if he plays and gets injured? He's under contract!

Should every player in the league hold out..because if they get injured while under contract then...What the heck are you talking about?
What I’m talking about is after this season his contract isn’t guaranteed. You know that right??? As fans I know that it sucks but you’re looking at it from the team perspective and not the player. He’s not the first and won’t be the last so I understand his point of view. When it’s all said and done teams can do whatever they want for example Bobby McCain was released from his contract earlier t this year he was supposed make 7 million this year but Miami decided to go a different direction so he lands in Washington with a salary of 1.4 million which is a huge pay cut. So I understand his position and you can’t convince me he will get more money being closer to age 30 then he can get now.

Back
Top Bottom