Huizenga's grand plan.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huizenga's grand plan....

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I don't know if I missed the thread. Don't know if it just didn't interest me at the time. But I've been thinking about the Supersite proposal off and on all week. I thought I'd share my thoughts about it. I'd like to know your take on it too.

First I have to commend the commissioner on his chosen words to describe the plan. It is indeed "visionary". It shows alot of thinking "out of the box" by Wayne Huizenga and the Dolphins organization. I didn't really understand Huizenga's reorganization of Dolphins football earlier this year. I didn't understand his proposal for all of the extra facilities before this proposal was released neither. Now I see the light.

I think if fans of other teams can get over the original thought that it's a mighty "Dolphin indulgent" idea they too may see that this conceptual idea would be simply amazing if it was pulled off.

Let's look at the nostalgia created by a supersite.

Any NASCAR fans here? The first time I ever went to Daytona was as an adult. I had two kids and a wife with me and Daytona was really just a short two stay at the beach prior to moving on to Orlando. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the Daytona experience was actually more fun for my entire family than Universal Studios could provide. It was a compact adventure. We toured the entire facility. On display was Jeff Gordon's 400 winning car. We saw the penny glued to Dale Earnhardt's 500 winning car's dash. We saw film of finish after historical finish. We were astounded by the embankment of the turns. We walked the place that we had seen on TV for years. My oldest son and I participated in a pit stop. I had the jack. He had a tire. The kids loved it. They watched races more intently the following year. Heck, at the conclusion of the Daytona experience we had to go race cars at the Go Kart track across the street.

Tell me now. Where was the 2004 Super Bowl held? How about 2003? Wouldn't it bring a little more excitement to the Super Bowl, a little enjoyment for you if you could stand with your son right above the spot that Tennessee Titan reached for the goal line? He missed the touchdown and a possible win at the Super Bowl by a yard!!! Where was that Super Bowl held? Most people can't remember. It's just another place that had a game. Nobody remembers.

I could propably go on with more examples of a Super Bowl or Football celebration. But I think you probably get my drift. It's missing something. It's missing a huge thing for the game-for the love of the game.

Wayne is on the right track. I don't care where they place these "supersites". The idea is just too good to pass up.

Good post ZOD. I agree that Huizengas vision is grander than what we as spectators believe it to be. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

ZOD said:
I don't know if I missed the thread. Don't know if it just didn't interest me at the time. But I've been thinking about the Supersite proposal off and on all week. I thought I'd share my thoughts about it. I'd like to know your take on it too.

First I have to commend the commissioner on his chosen words to describe the plan. It is indeed "visionary". It shows alot of thinking "out of the box" by Wayne Huizenga and the Dolphins organization. I didn't really understand Huizenga's reorganization of Dolphins football earlier this year. I didn't understand his proposal for all of the extra facilities before this proposal was released neither. Now I see the light.

I think if fans of other teams can get over the original thought that it's a mighty "Dolphin indulgent" idea they too may see that this conceptual idea would be simply amazing if it was pulled off.

Let's look at the nostalgia created by a supersite.

Any NASCAR fans here? The first time I ever went to Daytona was as an adult. I had two kids and a wife with me and Daytona was really just a short two stay at the beach prior to moving on to Orlando. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the Daytona experience was actually more fun for my entire family than Universal Studios could provide. It was a compact adventure. We toured the entire facility. On display was Jeff Gordon's 400 winning car. We saw the penny glued to Dale Earnhardt's 500 winning car's dash. We saw film of finish after historical finish. We were astounded by the embankment of the turns. We walked the place that we had seen on TV for years. My oldest son and I participated in a pit stop. I had the jack. He had a tire. The kids loved it. They watched races more intently the following year. Heck, at the conclusion of the Daytona experience we had to go race cars at the Go Kart track across the street.

Tell me now. Where was the 2004 Super Bowl held? How about 2003? Wouldn't it bring a little more excitement to the Super Bowl, a little enjoyment for you if you could stand with your son right above the spot that Tennessee Titan reached for the goal line? He missed the touchdown and a possible win at the Super Bowl by a yard!!! Where was that Super Bowl held? Most people can't remember. It's just another place that had a game. Nobody remembers.

I could propably go on with more examples of a Super Bowl or Football celebration. But I think you probably get my drift. It's missing something. It's missing a huge thing for the game-for the love of the game.

Wayne is on the right track. I don't care where they place these "supersites". The idea is just too good to pass up.
Very nice post

I've had a head cold, so my brain is working at a 100%. The Supersite would be in Miami right?

Yes it would be in Miami.

The thing is that Miami has the most land around the stadium (owned by the phins). More then any other stadim/franchise. Not to mention the allure of Miami for a Super bowl is fantastic as there is plenty of events and hotels (cough jacksonvile sucks). Not to mention it is in the top 3 cities for teams to play the superbowl in (voted by nfl players). The money it creates is split between the two teams that are there anyway so creating a super sight that brings in more people will benefit the teams playing there.

No offense to you northeners but it'll be a cold day in H-E-L-L before i walk up to a buddy and say " Man we should go to the superbowl in Detriot, its gonna rock" . Like Wayne said New Orleans, Miami, and So Cal are the three top choices it makes perfect sense to rotate those three and add one or two more sights into the rotation(based on current process).

Don't forget Arizona as a possible site as well! Right now they are building a new stadium that is shaping up to be incredible. The only thing right around it is the freeway, the new hockey stadium and empty farmland. So there is plenty of potential here as well.

my only wonder is how it will monopolize the superbowl. cities make a LOT of money when the superbowl comes into town and this idea plans to host the superbowl once every three years or so? the game already doesn't visit 3/4 of the stadiums in the league.

bakedmatt said:
my only wonder is how it will monopolize the superbowl. cities make a LOT of money when the superbowl comes into town and this idea plans to host the superbowl once every three years or so?

But should they worry about the monetary effect? There is only one Daytona. There is only one Indianapolis. Those two racing sites raise more money for their respective cities than any other sporting event in the US (absent the Olympics). Do they share? :tongue:

If you are an NFL city, it's already worthwhile for you to build a stadium for the 8 regular season games. It's more than worthwhile. Most of these stadiums allow kids onto to their fields for little league and high school championships. Can you tell me a more exciting adventure for youth than playing on the field that the pros play? That goes without mentioning Punt, Pass, and Kick and the other NFL sponsored youth activities. Teams visit the sick in hospitals, the elderly, and hold rallies for families to feel apart of the team. Long story short, THE GAME is already "good enough" to an NFL city.

So why shouldn't the fans (along with the owners) be thinking of giving something back to the game?

Wayne's proposal was for a "Celebration of Football". Throngs of people visit Canton, Ohio for the memories of players. What about the game itself? Wouldn't it be cool to see all the Superbowl rings, showcased in one place? What about marking the spot that Buffalo's kicker missed the field goal against the Giants? I've already mentioned marking the spot where the best ttackle in football was made. The ideas for the field itself are numerous. Show the kids or future fans a multimedia presentation prior to seeing the exact marks. It would be awesome!! But to do this takes infrastructure and unfortunately it's a battle to just get a stadium built in a city.

We haven't even mentioned the other parts of the proposal. Hosting a high school all-star game? The SuperBowl already is hosting this kind of tournament the week prior to the SuperBowl game. Pat Kirwan said Canada won this years game but he said representative teams came from all over the world to play. Heck, bring the kids from the winning little league teams from the NFL cities along!! It's just another way the NFL team's can benefit their city. It would bring alot of pride to that city. It would make for a memorable experience for the child.

Now play the Pro Bowl the week prior to the SuperBowl at the same facility. All of the stars of the NFL in one place. People could come from all across the country for a period of three weeks to see this extravaganza of football and participate in all the planned activities without even having to shell out the $3500 dollars per ticket for the actual game. The concerts would even be in another facility. The ticket holders for the SuperBowl would get just that on the day of the SuperBowl. Even more fans would be at an adjacent facility housing the largest tailgate party in the world.

I've listened to alot of talk coming out of these meetings this week. I think some of the owners are actually on board with the idea. The Rooney's and Davis' of the world might not be. They may be too old school. But this collection of owners are some of the richest men in the world. Some of them know they are part of something special.

The NFL and the SuperBowl is long past something just to make money off of. The game is just too special. It's time we started thinking of it that way.

ZOD said:

That is why i say give the SB to Green bay, or Chicago, or New York(the way the stadium is now). if the SB was played in a city like that. where its 20 below zero with blowing snow, you WILL remember that SB. the stadium would still sell out. and that would most likley be the highest TV rated SB ever.

godfater21 said:
That is why i say give the SB to Green bay, or Chicago, or New York(the way the stadium is now). if the SB was played in a city like that. where its 20 below zero with blowing snow, you WILL remember that SB. the stadium would still sell out. and that would most likley be the highest TV rated SB ever.

But do you agree that the SuperBowl should be limited to a few selected sites where the infrastructure is designed to be a year round event?

Back
Top Bottom