Hunt and Kindley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hunt and Kindley

qmar

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Pure speculation here and not sure if this was brought up during the draft, but is it possible that when the Dolphins drafted Hunt, they intended to have him start his career at RG until it was time to replace Jesse Davis? What they didn't expect is for Kindley to fall to the 4th leaving them with a perfect opportunity to plug RG and let Hunt take some time to get ready for RT behind JD. If that's the case, it's pretty spectacular that they went up to get Solomon and not just sit on their hands because they felt as though they already had their RG for this year.

we had MULTIPLE needs on OL -- therefore multiple picks. Pretty simple.

They obviously targeted Hunt for "OL" with the primary hope he plays OT.

When Big Fish was still on the board in R4 -- sure it was unexpected so we jumped on it!

Jesse is playing good ball so that gives us the luxury to develop Hunt @T.

By draft day '21 they will know if Hunt is the future RT or maybe dip back in the draft...

IMHO, that is entirely possible. I think the way it may have worked might have been something like this. They had a board of prospects and certain targets. In round 1 they had hoped one of the top echelon of LT targets might be available, but the last one was drafted before our 2nd pick in round 1, so we went with Austin Jackson--who looks like a great pick! Then they wanted to get another good OL at any position in the 2nd round, and had targeted the Michigan C/G, who was drafted before our pick as were all of the 2nd/3rd tier OL prospects, so by the time the Hunt pick arrived, he was their highest rated player and they saw versatility to play RG or RT--both of which were positions of need eventually, and offering versatility every NFL line needs.

I think you're spot on about Kindley though. From what I can gather, they thought at least one of their targets would be available in rounds 1 and 2, but other NFL teams valued those guys more than the Dolphins staff expected so they chose their fallback options according to their board rankings. Solomon Kindley they expected to go a round earlier, so they hadn't really targeted him, but when he was still available, they jumped at the chance to get him in much the same way we did when Xavien Howard was available in his draft. While the other two picks were pre-gamed to be OL picks, I think the Kindley pick was viewed as one of opportunity.

Since we have had such a tremendous and obvious need along the OL and have had this need for a long time, I don't think they were too concerned with overlap. Every year we have multiple OL injured and need a minimum of 7 OL and coverage at both exterior OT and interior C/G. These were merely gifted athletes with potential as football players. Austin Jackson was the youngest OL in the draft but had been rated as the #1 OL prospect in his high school class so he offered dynamite potential. Robert Hunt was a physical beast with overpowering strength, plus size and wingspan, and potential value because his production (low level and very little pass pro tape) was at the lowest level (in NFL terms) so he might drop in the draft, while having top tier potential athletically. A rebuilding team is an ideal development spot for a guy who just needs to learn to play football. Solomon Kindley represented the opposite of Robert Hunt, because Kindley had proven competent at the highest collegiate level (SEC for multiple years), also had dominant power (for a guard), and already possessed the technique needed to succeed in the NFL. His only real drawbacks were a soft body and the dreaded "slow feet" label that caused him to drop on most teams' boards.

Solomon Kindley's experience, technique, and production at Georgia were major reasons why I predicted he would be the OL to watch instead of Robert Hunt. I also predicted Austin Jackson would start, but that was because we simply had nobody else. Jackson has exceeded even my rookie expectations and proven to be the gem of our draft! As for Kindley, he is showing the sort of production one might expect from an exemplary SEC player who had proven production across multiple years. Robert Hunt is not a bust ... he is an investment. When you draft a raw athlete without the technique or experience against top competition, and ask him to jump waaaaaaay up to NFL competition, you need to allow enough time for him to develop and step up in competition. That happens over years, not overnight, so we need to cut him some slack as he learns.

I think they took Hunt with the idea of trying to transition him to RT but being happy with him at OG if that did not work out.

The moved up for Kindley so they obviously liked him and he is a pure OG so they must have envisioned him playing that position.

Flowers is on a 3 year deal so eventually Miami's OG's could be Hunt and Kindley, or Hunt could still develop into a RT.

Hunt was a RT at Louisiana but if you followed his story the dude grew up dirt poor. He went to a camp at Louisiana that his father had to work extra jobs for, IIRC, so that he had the money. He showed up in tennis shoes, shorts and a t-shirt. They gave him some cleats and gear while he was there at camp. His high school only had 13 players so he played both ways...I would assume they probably only had 1 to 3 coaches so he didn't get much coaching in high school. While at camp the HC of Louisiana offered him a scholarship, which he refused because he said...I can't afford to go to college, having no idea what a scholarship meant.

I think it's safe to say that Hunt has never received high-level coaching in his entire life. He's probably never had a training room, or a nutritionist, or a state of the art weight room. This is all new to him. He's a raw talent and a very impressive athlete. It's going to take time for him to acclimate to this level of...well this level of everything. They've been using him as a 6th lineman in a jumbo set...letting him get his feet wet. I think the talent is there, I'm very high on this kid.

Anything is possible but when you consider than hitting on 2 out of 3 Oline guys in one draft is great, then maybe they decided to draft 3 guys with the hopes that at least two of them would work out. They figured that you get all 3 in camp and see what happens. So far two are starting and doing well. Hunt will get his chance at some point but while I don't always agree with our FO, drafting 3 Oline guys was fine by me.

Pure speculation here and not sure if this was brought up during the draft, but is it possible that when the Dolphins drafted Hunt, they intended to have him start his career at RG until it was time to replace Jesse Davis? What they didn't expect is for Kindley to fall to the 4th leaving them with a perfect opportunity to plug RG and let Hunt take some time to get ready for RT behind JD. If that's the case, it's pretty spectacular that they went up to get Solomon and not just sit on their hands because they felt as though they already had their RG for this year.
It also showed that Miami got it right on their evaluation of Kindley. That is proving to be an excellent move. I think the team needs one more quality offensive lineman to move this unit forward, but I love the progress in one offseason. It's rare that the Dolphins have improved one area so dramatically in one offseason.

IMHO, that is entirely possible. I think the way it may have worked might have been something like this. They had a board of prospects and certain targets. In round 1 they had hoped one of the top echelon of LT targets might be available, but the last one was drafted before our 2nd pick in round 1, so we went with Austin Jackson--who looks like a great pick! Then they wanted to get another good OL at any position in the 2nd round, and had targeted the Michigan C/G, who was drafted before our pick as were all of the 2nd/3rd tier OL prospects, so by the time the Hunt pick arrived, he was their highest rated player and they saw versatility to play RG or RT--both of which were positions of need eventually, and offering versatility every NFL line needs.

I think you're spot on about Kindley though. From what I can gather, they thought at least one of their targets would be available in rounds 1 and 2, but other NFL teams valued those guys more than the Dolphins staff expected so they chose their fallback options according to their board rankings. Solomon Kindley they expected to go a round earlier, so they hadn't really targeted him, but when he was still available, they jumped at the chance to get him in much the same way we did when Xavien Howard was available in his draft. While the other two picks were pre-gamed to be OL picks, I think the Kindley pick was viewed as one of opportunity.

Since we have had such a tremendous and obvious need along the OL and have had this need for a long time, I don't think they were too concerned with overlap. Every year we have multiple OL injured and need a minimum of 7 OL and coverage at both exterior OT and interior C/G. These were merely gifted athletes with potential as football players. Austin Jackson was the youngest OL in the draft but had been rated as the #1 OL prospect in his high school class so he offered dynamite potential. Robert Hunt was a physical beast with overpowering strength, plus size and wingspan, and potential value because his production (low level and very little pass pro tape) was at the lowest level (in NFL terms) so he might drop in the draft, while having top tier potential athletically. A rebuilding team is an ideal development spot for a guy who just needs to learn to play football. Solomon Kindley represented the opposite of Robert Hunt, because Kindley had proven competent at the highest collegiate level (SEC for multiple years), also had dominant power (for a guard), and already possessed the technique needed to succeed in the NFL. His only real drawbacks were a soft body and the dreaded "slow feet" label that caused him to drop on most teams' boards.

Solomon Kindley's experience, technique, and production at Georgia were major reasons why I predicted he would be the OL to watch instead of Robert Hunt. I also predicted Austin Jackson would start, but that was because we simply had nobody else. Jackson has exceeded even my rookie expectations and proven to be the gem of our draft! As for Kindley, he is showing the sort of production one might expect from an exemplary SEC player who had proven production across multiple years. Robert Hunt is not a bust ... he is an investment. When you draft a raw athlete without the technique or experience against top competition, and ask him to jump waaaaaaay up to NFL competition, you need to allow enough time for him to develop and step up in competition. That happens over years, not overnight, so we need to cut him some slack as he learns.

Do you think Austin Jackson is a better LT than Kindley is a RG? Or Vice versa?

I think they took Hunt with the idea of trying to transition him to RT but being happy with him at OG if that did not work out.

The moved up for Kindley so they obviously liked him and he is a pure OG so they must have envisioned him playing that position.

Flowers is on a 3 year deal so eventually Miami's OG's could be Hunt and Kindley, or Hunt could still develop into a RT.
Flowers' deal is only guaranteed for 2 year years. The third year we can cut him and save 10 million. If Hunt can replace Flowers, we can play Hunt/Kindley at guard and spend that money elsewhere in 2022.

But, obviously the ideal scenario would be for Hunt to work out at RT.

Good point.

Miami drafted Hunt, Iggy and Jackson with the long view in mind.

With good coaching and patience I am confident in all 3 of them.

Did you leave Raekwon Davis off that list intentionally?

Gives them a lot of credit but maybe so

Back
Top Bottom