Huock and the O-Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huock and the O-Line

ubercane

Serf
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of the best acquisitions this offseason was Houdini, he is a stud OL coach. In any case, realistically, how long do you guys think it will take for him to work some magic? I mean, in San Diego he took about 2-3 years to turn that situation around and Brees was able to shine. How does our current talent level at the O-Line compare to that of SD's OLine at the beginningof Hudson's tenure there (anyone have any info regarding that)?

IMO our LT and Center are the biggest problems right now... McKinney couldn't stop my little cousin if she bum-rushed him... and our LT is a human turnstile :shakeno: If those problems can be resolved through coaching... I think we may have a serviceable line come next season... and thats good for at least 3-4+ wins.

I think C is the only problem. Houck will get either McKinney, Smith or Hadnot playing at a suitable level.

Saban's Promise...

If I remember correctly... Saban promised he wouldn't draft a LT or attain one in order to get our current LT to take that Pay cut.... That was a smart move in the sense that the stud LT's are in next year's draft (I go to Univ. of Miami - I see Winston around all the time - the kid has great skill and is a nice person). So all in all, that really was another example of Saban's cleverness.

finsnchips said:
I think C is the only problem. Houck will get either McKinney, Smith or Hadnot playing at a suitable level.

Add Carey to that list of needing Houck.. Most of our lineman have some skills they just didn't play togather last year till the last 4 weeks.

It's true that there are a ton of excellent LTs next year, hopefully we draft one. If Houck can just make the rest of the line improve, then he will be a resounding success this year. You gotta let him get a few more of this type of players in here before we judge him.

GreenMonster said:
Add Carey to that list of needing Houck.. Most of our lineman have some skills they just didn't play togather last year till the last 4 weeks.
I was talking about Smith, McKinney and Hadnot at C... 1 of them will emerge.

IMO, all our linemen are talented but Houck is going to get them playing well.

ubercane said:
If I remember correctly... Saban promised he wouldn't draft a LT or attain one in order to get our current LT to take that Pay cut.... That was a smart move in the sense that the stud LT's are in next year's draft (I go to Univ. of Miami - I see Winston around all the time - the kid has great skill and is a nice person). So all in all, that really was another example of Saban's cleverness.
He then went and drafted Anthony Alabi, LT, TCU.

I feel comfortable that Miami's line will be decent this year. A couple of guys have been on the team a few years, and with the addition of Houck, they might be ok. I honestly do not think LT will be as big of a problem as some think, simply because that one position has been the sight of ridicule of our team the past couple of years. Houck SHOULD definitely make this position a main priority.

Center is another story. When McKinney came out with the loud mouth last year concerning the Ricky incident, I was thinking, "this is EXACTLY what Miami needs." I honestly thought that Seth would be the anchor of the OL. Well, he was an anchor......an anchor that sank the ship!

I honestly do not know much about coaches, but I am hearing plenty about Houck. Hope he can work his magic on this OL.

ubercane said:
Hey guys,

One of the best acquisitions this offseason was Houdini, he is a stud OL coach. In any case, realistically, how long do you guys think it will take for him to work some magic? I mean, in San Diego he took about 2-3 years to turn that situation around and Brees was able to shine. How does our current talent level at the O-Line compare to that of SD's OLine at the beginningof Hudson's tenure there (anyone have any info regarding that)?

IMO our LT and Center are the biggest problems right now... McKinney couldn't stop my little cousin if she bum-rushed him... and our LT is a human turnstile :shakeno: If those problems can be resolved through coaching... I think we may have a serviceable line come next season... and thats good for at least 3-4+ wins.

I may be wrong on this but I do believe the line that you seen last year with SD was like 4 rookies and 1 2nd year guy that never started. I'm pretty sure he molded that O-Line in the offseason. I'm not saying that is what he is going to be able to do here. If you do read that Carey interview on the start page. He is already talking about how much different the O-Line system we ran was compared to what Houck is making them do. We might have 5 excellent players starting on the line and they just were not under a good blocking scheme.<--- guess that you can make the Feeley arguement for about any of the players last year.

Oline will be one of the biggest if not the biggest battle of camp. None of the five spots can rightly be considered a "lock" There are thirteen guys who have a chance of making the club and most of them have a chance to start. That means 4 or 5 guys who might make the club or even start will instead be on the street. I can't remember ever having that level of competition at any position with this club.

Free agents- McIntosh, James, Cook, McDougle, and St. Clair
Our draftees- Alabi, McKinney, Smith, Whitely, Hadnot, Carey, and Pape
Our undrafted FA's- Jerman

Houck and don't forget his assistant Davis! have their work cut out for them.

McIntosh, there we go, thats the name that evaded me this morning! Yea, you are right, we did draft a LT but as mentioned earlier.. it was in the 5th round. Center is definitely our weakest spot IMO... I mean you have to call the right blocking assignments, you touch the ball on every play and you have to block your man... McKinney... well - is pretty soft.

LT --> A 'new' McIntosh, under some good coaching will be serviceable ... and thats all we need, one decent season from him till we hit next year's great draft.

LG --> Jeno James had his good and bad plays .. he would be pretty good sometimes, and get owned at others.. but he should be pretty good for now.

Center --> Hadnot? By what I hear, this guy is getting some momentum, hopefully he pans out with good coaching.

RG --> Carey? This guy has talent, and when he was a cane, I think he led the team in 'pancake blocks' ... IMO this is his natural position.. does he have the athleticism for tackle? .. he also needs a strong work ethic! lazy... :shakeno:

RT --> McDougle... hes big.. thats for sure. I don't really know much about this guy.

I mean if this is the lineup going into next year.. we're not THAT bad.. I mean, a good scheme always makes you look better then you are (look at the Broncos). I'm overly optimistic at times.. but what do you guys think?

ubercane said:
LT --> A 'new' McIntosh, under some good coaching will be serviceable ... and thats all we need, one decent season from him till we hit next year's great draft.

...and don't forget that McIntosh was not healthy last year. He had ankle problems. He says he feels great now, so he should be much better without the gimpy ankles.

Back
Top Bottom