Hurns has opted out | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurns has opted out

Even with the young receivers on the roster it wouldn't surprise me if the Dolphins did bring a veteran in on a 1 yr deal to camp for insurance and to get to know the offense and let the chip fall where they may.

Even with the young receivers on the roster it wouldn't surprise me if the Dolphins did bring a veteran in on a 1 yr deal to camp for insurance and to get to know the offense and let the chip fall where they may.
Aside from Williams, all our projected high snap guys are vets, 3+ years.

Hurns fits the profile. He has already received his payday and other than the love of the game there aren't a whole lot of reasons to show up for this season. I don't see anyone else on this team other than Fitzpatrick, and for whatever reason he seems motivated enough to go another year.

he's not old...
You are right, but he's been in the league for awhile, and he'll be another year older after sitting. It was 4 or 5 years ago when he beat us in Jax in the last two minutes. Tehy would not have extended him if they didn't like what he brings to the table.

Can we cut him now, and eat the dead money this year, rather than next?

Might be prudent, given the state of flux with the cap situation.
I don't think once they have put it in writing that you can then cut them. If I'm wrong I would cut every one that opts out. Toughen up buttercups.

This is getting serious, not like were loaded at WR

Looked for FA-WR didn't see much, most were unknown to me.

This is getting serious, not like were loaded at WR

Looked for FA-WR didn't see much, most were unknown to me.
Meh

I thought there was a good chance Hurns didn't make the roster anyway, and though I like Wilson, he was no bargain at that price.

Don't mind at all, giving some otger guys a shot, and a years experience.

Not sure why the Albert Wilson opting out thread was closed ... but i'll discuss it in conjunction with Hurns here.

Disappointed to see these guys missing the season, especially after having spent a long time being injured and still collecting pay checks, but I get it. Those are the rules, and they need to put their lives first. IMHO, it probably starts closing the door on their future with the Dolphins. Missing so much time leaves a coaching staff looking for more reliable options, and when they return in 2021 ... I expect them to be salary cap casualties. Teams just can't carry veteran salaries who don't play, no matter the reason.

On the flip side though, I think this is a fantastic opportunity for Preston Williams and Jakeem Grant. The logjam at WR probably meant Grant would not get much playing time in 2020, but with both Wilson and Hurns opting out, Grant becomes the 3rd WR, so he'll play a lot. And, when someone gets injured (come on, who really expects both Parker and Williams to be injury-free all year?), Jakeem Grant looks to start and play a ton of snaps. He hasn't convinced the coaching staff yet. While I still hold out a tremendous amount of hope for the quickest lateral jukes in the league ... and possibly the fastest feet in the league too--despite what Matt Brieda thinks--the fact remains that this is easily a make or break year for Grant. If he proves he can beat press coverage, run good routes, hold onto the ball and prevent turnovers ... his future is bright. If not, he'll be drafted over in 2021.

Preston Williams has now been almost gifted a starting spot. His opportunity is golden. He will get plenty of targets and a real chance to become a star in this league, no matter who starts at QB.

Another potential winner is Mike Gesicki. It's quite possible that we use Gesicki in the slot more often to prevent our now thin WR corps from getting overused and worn down. In 6'2 DeVante Parker, 6'3ish Preston Williams, and 6'6 Mike Gesicki the QB will have lots of forgiving, big targets with verticality and wingspan. Accuracy issues will be somewhat covered up by the massive catch radius of these big targets.

Back
Top Bottom