Hurricane Irma Only thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricane Irma Only thread

NWS‏Verified account @NWS 3m3 minutes ago
NWS Retweeted NWS Norman

Many of our offices across the country are launching extra weather balloons in support of Hurricane #Irma forecasts. All eyes on this storm!

Miami Herald‏Verified account @MiamiHerald 8m8 minutes ago
The @MiamiHerald's paywall is down & we're sending weather alerts as they happen. Sign up for those here: http://hrld.us/2f31k3I

Sun Sentinel‏Verified account @SunSentinel
#Broward's mandatory evacuation order for residents who live E of Federal Highway goes into effect Thursday at noon

Moved these here b/c . . . nvrmd

You really believe a group of very wealthy people are going to leave their families in South Florida (of the ones that actually live there in the first place) regardless of if there was a game or not?
I would bet most of them already have their flights or of town and very comfy accommodations set up somewhere in middle America.

I'm not arguing against the decision, i just keep reading people saying this like these guys are going to be huddled in an apartment fighting for water. They have the means.... they're outta here!

It goes both ways. Many have hurricane proof houses and built in bunkers within their houses to withstand such storms. My sister in WPB stayed with a family last year with those accommodations in place and said she couldn't even hear the winds of Hurricane Matthew inside the residence.

Built in Bunker? That sounds fantastic. I've heard of "Safe Rooms" and "Panic Rooms" but never a home with a hurricane bunker. Please fill me in? I'm interested in things like that. Your insite will be much appreciated.

This may be a dumb question, but something I've been thinking about the last couple days, say people do have those bunkers? Are they underground I assume? Obviously they build them with the hurricanes in mind, but how do you prevent the flood from leaking into it, while still having all the other things you need, like fresh air, and maybe electricity? I guess I'm thinking more of a doomsday prepper type thing and not just for a quick storm lol

Nothing more really than a centrally located concrete safe room built to withstand extreme weather (or doomsday room I guess as well LOL). You can't dig underground here in Florida, especially near the coastline, b/c of issues with sinkholes and coral rock. The vast majority of these houses are built to withstand Cat 5 anyways with the only major problem being beach erosion.

I figured as much, but just wasn't sure. I saw a show on tv, about a woman who owned a $25M ground floor apt in NYC, where her closet was actually a vault; and her windows were not only hurricane graded, but bullet proof as well. She mentioned how the windows kept the noise out and her closet was also her panic room, in case of an intruder. Since then, I've always wondered about things that you mentioned in your post. May I ask, hurricane proofing a house in Florida usually means the outer walls are made of cinder blocks and concrete? But what about the interiors of those homes? Still using wood or aluminum studs? I know there are codes, but I'm unfamiliar. Thanks Shula

Sorry I am not able help you here. I honestly have no idea about architecture, construction, or building codes beyond just having seen such things.

According to The Weather Channel, Hurricane Irma is bigger and stronger than Hurricane Andrew was.

Yep, everybody talking about it is moving East . . . .people need to look at that 16 mph tracking speed and realize unless that slows down, that sudden turn wont happen sudden enough and we are likely receiving a direct hit and it will climb up the state.

5 p.m. Fingers crossed that it drops to 10 or 12 mph.

According to The Weather Channel, Hurricane Irma is bigger and stronger than Hurricane Andrew was.

Andrew has sustained winds of 145 when it hit us (gusts were much higher)
This one is at 165 however it is projected to lose some strength before it gets to Fla.

I remember Andrew well. I lived in a townhouse in Doral and lost power for almost a week. lots of damage to the roof but at the time I managed a payphone company (remember those ?) and spent most of my time down in Homestead where we set up a bank of phones for people to use and served food at a makeshift soup kitchen. Driving down there every day was really sad as you saw all the blue plastic on what was roofs just a few days before.

Hopefully this thing misses you guys and everyone comes through in good shape.

Nothing more really than a centrally located concrete safe room built to withstand extreme weather (or doomsday room I guess as well LOL). You can't dig underground here in Florida, especially near the coastline, b/c of issues with sinkholes and coral rock. The vast majority of these houses are built to withstand Cat 5 anyways with the only major problem being beach erosion..
Not true, I once lived in a beach side apartment that was underground, garage was too. They are not common but there are plenty out there. There are basements around also.

Storm may not even hit Florida...Praying!

If it does no saying how hard it hits - could be a category 2...

Cat 2? We wish. Models have it hitting FL at Cat 4 and not degrading to a 3 until it reaches Jacksonville almost 400 miles North if its origin of landfall.

I know the models have tightened up, but now if Irma would just kick a bit more to the East. Come on baby...
Yep, everybody talking about it is moving East . . . .people need to look at that 16 mph tracking speed and realize unless that slows down, that sudden turn wont happen sudden enough and we are likely receiving a direct hit and it will climb up the state.

5 p.m. Fingers crossed that it drops to 10 or 12 mph.

Yeah, I was reading where an east coast trough was expected to move east and weaken that high pressure ridge that is keeping Irma from moving up. However, they don't know when or how strong that trough will be. If as you say, Irma slows down and the high pressure ridge weakens then we may get lucky with a close call. As it stands now, I am just west of the projected path of the eye when it goes over Brevard County. I sure hope I don't loose my roof or any shingles. We are a payday to payday household and I can't afford a new roof or even to make a claim on my insurance. Hoping everyone stays safe and things work out for the best for everyone. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom