*** Hurricane Recruiting News *** | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Hurricane Recruiting News ***

Not a single top 100 recruit. That is sad for UM coming off a decent year

But...I keep hearing that Shannon is a great recruiter.

For JCane:
narcolepticrandy-1.jpg

On the bright side, this class might end up getting Randy fired down the road, so look at it that way.

Don't know how much stock to put in this source. But it's a very recent link, in fact this afternoon:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14325267

"Don't be surprised if Seantrel Henderson ends up at the University of Miami.

Thought to be the dark horse behind the University of Southern California for the 6-foot-8, 335-pound Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman, Miami apparently has moved to the top of Henderson's list. Henderson plans to announce his college choice this afternoon."

Don't know how much stock to put in this source. But it's a very recent link, in fact this afternoon:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14325267

"Don't be surprised if Seantrel Henderson ends up at the University of Miami.

Thought to be the dark horse behind the University of Southern California for the 6-foot-8, 335-pound Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman, Miami apparently has moved to the top of Henderson's list. Henderson plans to announce his college choice this afternoon."

he could but he's had a different leader each of the last 3 days. Big Ten insiders say that Henderson regrets how his recruiting has gone, letting others influence his opinion. Many feel that if he could do it all over again, he'd chose Iowa or Minny. Iowa pulled away from him after how his dad handled the school. Minny would gladly take him, but I don't think Seantrel wants to play for Brewer.

If he choses OSU, big mistake IMO. Not because I'm a Michigan fan, but OSU has really struggled developing O-Linemen under Tressell. Yes Mangold is a great center, and Mike Brewster could develop into a very good prospect, but a lot of top rated linemen have struggled in Columbus.

Scratch that...

Hey, at least we didn't take it for granted here. A couple of Canes sites used the two Minneapolis links to mean it was all but a certainty that Henderson was a Cane.

I've learned not to get my hopes up. Canes recruiting reminds me of my ebay auctions. Instead of the typical late flurry to bump up the price, it ends exactly where it was a day earlier.:boohoo:

I predicted a couple of years ago that our recruiting would decline once we were settled into Dolphin Stadium. Everyone is ignoring that factor but I'm convinced it's valid. Sorry, but that's not a college football atmosphere, not leading up to the game, or outside the stadium, or at the game. I posted a long summary of the differences between Miami and USC game day atmosphere on Rivals this afternoon. The entire thread was deleted because the mods obviously didn't like it. The rest of the thread was three tame entries so unquestionably it was my post that caused the deletion. Maybe it wasn't necessary to get into that much detail, and specifically on national signing day, but everything was accurate. One school after another can brag about and show off on-campus activities leading up to an on-campus game, or in USC's case, across the street. Crisp fall Saturdays. At Miami it's a hassle to drive across town, then drunken tailgating in a pro parking lot, one monotonous row of parked cars after another. It's a comparison we can't win. I'm more frustrated than critical. No way it should have come to this.

Admittedly I hate the stadium so I'm probably assigning more value than it's worth. But it's certainly not zero. It was always bunk that high school kids would drool to play at a pro venue.

Hey, at least we didn't take it for granted here. A couple of Canes sites used the two Minneapolis links to mean it was all but a certainty that Henderson was a Cane.

I've learned not to get my hopes up. Canes recruiting reminds me of my ebay auctions. Instead of the typical late flurry to bump up the price, it ends exactly where it was a day earlier.:boohoo:

I predicted a couple of years ago that our recruiting would decline once we were settled into Dolphin Stadium. Everyone is ignoring that factor but I'm convinced it's valid. Sorry, but that's not a college football atmosphere, not leading up to the game, or outside the stadium, or at the game. I posted a long summary of the differences between Miami and USC game day atmosphere on Rivals this afternoon. The entire thread was deleted because the mods obviously didn't like it. The rest of the thread was three tame entries so unquestionably it was my post that caused the deletion. Maybe it wasn't necessary to get into that much detail, and specifically on national signing day, but everything was accurate. One school after another can brag about and show off on-campus activities leading up to an on-campus game, or in USC's case, across the street. Crisp fall Saturdays. At Miami it's a hassle to drive across town, then drunken tailgating in a pro parking lot, one monotonous row of parked cars after another. It's a comparison we can't win. I'm more frustrated than critical. No way it should have come to this.

Admittedly I hate the stadium so I'm probably assigning more value than it's worth. But it's certainly not zero. It was always bunk that high school kids would drool to play at a pro venue.

Agreed. The Orange Bowl, though in somewhat bad shape, seemed to come to life on game days, and gave us a shot with no matter who we were against (except UVa in 2007...). JRS is nothing but a concrete mausoleum with seats too far away from the field, and no character to it at all. Not to mention that it's inconvenient for the students to get up there, and the games never sell out.

I laugh when people say the Jumbotrons and 42'' plasmas in the ****ters will attract kids more than the atmosphere at a game. Our home field advantage was kaput the minute we moved out of the OB and into Joe Robbie Mausoleum.

It's really a shame that UM couldn't have worked something with the city the same way USC did with LA for the Coliseum.

According to Rivals, my USC Trojans have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Seantrel Henderson has yet to sign his LOI with the Trojans. But Lane Kiffin is a fuggin' BEAST!

UM was ranked #24. :(

But hey! At least we beat out some 1-AA schools and the football powerhouse on the Palouse (aka Washington State) for a few kids!

24th is TERRIBLE when you consider how loaded South Florida was this year. All we talked about was how this class would be the one to vault Shannon and the 'Canes into the national title picture in either 2010 or 2011. I don't understand how ANYONE can defend this class.

24th is TERRIBLE when you consider how loaded South Florida was this year. All we talked about was how this class would be the one to vault Shannon and the 'Canes into the national title picture in either 2010 or 2011. I don't understand how ANYONE can defend this class.

I was thinking the same thing. When we got those kids from MNW, everyone was talking about how great we had gotten it, but that the glory days were ahead with this year's class.

And we didn't get barely a sniff from many of the local guys here. This class was awful (outside of probably the OL, but can we develop it?). We got our 280th RBs, another project at QB, and a guy that played 2 snaps on D for our DT this past year. Considering how great our track record with player development has been over the past few years, count me in as being a non-believer with these projects we've taken this year.

The problem was, we had no backup plans at all for any of the guys we were recruiting, and when each recruiting plan fell through, we had to grasp for straws and we end up fighting the Portland States and whatever else D1-AA outhouses for players.

Just a bad class. There were bright spots, but not a class I'm really excited about.

Blandy compares the guy we got from Miami Beach High to Santana Moss:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/um/story/1461821.html

Shannon said his staff prides itself on player evaluations in South Florida and brought up how he once found receiver Santana Moss on a Carol City football team that only ran the football.

He later compared it to how his staff identified Miami Beach defensive tackle Delmar Taylor this season. Taylor only played in five high school games this season and a total of six snaps on defense.

But doesn't mention the fact that Santana had like 600 yards and 12 TDs his senior year of HS, or the fact that we were on probation at the time.

Back
Top Bottom