Hyde: Dolphins Did All They Wanted This Offseason — But Will It Work? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Dolphins Did All They Wanted This Offseason — But Will It Work?

The defenses under Coyle, Joseph, and Burke have all been described as built to play with a lead. While they've shown potential at times, they've been mostly ineffective when it matters. IMO this philosophy is no good.

On offense, I think it all depends on Gase's playcalling. Throwing short (or behind the line of scrimmage) passes to Landry on 3rd and long was a drive-killer, but Gase seemed to consider it a smart call. I also feel that the OTs will be the line's weakness... IMO Tunsil and James are not worth the 1st round picks used on them.

Trashing the tackles is the new thing here huh? Because a 33 yr old guard is gonna fix all the problems? Or a SF Center who isn't as athletic as our previous center will have free range at the 2nd level?

Just nuts.

I predicted in another thread numbers along the lines of a Hunter Henry of 400/4. Looking at other rookie TEs, it's about the norm.
Hunter Henry actually had 8 TDs as a rookie. Which is something of an outlier for rookie TEs. And Hunter came back down to earth the next season.

But I can see Gesicki having a low number of catches but a surprisingly high number of TDs. Tannehill has never really had an excellent red zone target in his entire career here in Miami. Although Amendola might count now too.

Hunter Henry actually had 8 TDs as a rookie. Which is something of an outlier for rookie TEs. And Hunter came back down to earth the next season.

But I can see Gesicki having a low number of catches but a surprisingly high number of TDs. Tannehill has never really had an excellent red zone target in his entire career here in Miami. Although Amendola might count now too.

I stand corrected, I was looking at his stats from last year.

"In his rookie season, Henry scored the second-most touchdowns by a rookie tight end in the last decade (only behind Rob Gronkowski), and scored the fifth most touchdowns by a rookie tight end in NFL history."

He did flash early and often.

The Tannehill part is typical though...

im convinced minkah was the right pick...the kid can play and plays fast all over the field making plays whether on the ball or making a sack and he will be a star eventually...him and raekwon should drastically improve the defense and be here for a very long time...im really looking forward to seeing these guys on the field, theyre both smart football guys

The Tannehill part is typical though...
I'm not sure what you mean. It's only my opinion but the Miami receivers have included a lot of guys who can move the chains, some with deep balls, some with short and intermediate routes, and even a seam threat like Clay but no one that excelled at getting open in the end zone or catching fades or contested balls in the end zone. Miami was usually better off throwing the ball short of the goal line and running it in after the catch.

Maybe some of it is on Tannehill. His TD numbers have always been his least impressive stat.

Digital you made good points but I have a question for you how are you envisioning us improving the run defense especially with the loss of Suh?
I agree with Hyde and think he is dead on in his observations.
1. Gase and staff got their chess pieces they wanted this year so there are fewer excuses than seasons in the past when there were divisions between the front office and the coaches.
2. Aquiring 31 year old plus players are usually a bit of a gamble in the NFL dues to normal declining production plus injury concerns that come with players at that age.
3. Wilson's contract compared to Watkins looks like he got a good deal but thats nothing new with Tbum signings since he has been here.
4. While I like our roster and see reasons for optimistism, if Gase fails this year it's on his sword. We cant blame Ross who has been willing to pay big bucks to players, and big name coaches. Ross believe he deserves a winner and he does.

Trashing the tackles is the new thing here huh? Because a 33 yr old guard is gonna fix all the problems? Or a SF Center who isn't as athletic as our previous center will have free range at the 2nd level?

Trashing the Tackles is just my opinion. I feel this way because ever since Philbin was hired and preferred finesse over physicality the o-line has been below-average to terrible. I think that the team is not very good at recognizing and evaluating o-line talent, and that they'd be better off building a line with Free Agents from other teams. Why is it that other teams can build a decent line by finding starters in the mid rounds of the draft, but Miami uses high draft picks and ends up with a below-average line? Actually, I think it's a combination of poor talent evaluation and picking the wrong type of players because they fit the wrong type of scheme. I say go old-school on the o-line, like the early 70s Fins o-line, or the Redskins Hogs. If your o-line can completely dominate the line of scrimmage, then you can run or pass as you please. Sparano had an average o-line, but it was better than anything Philbin or Gase has fielded. 3rd or 4th and 1? Put Lousaka Polite behind that line and it was an automatic 1st down. 3rd or 4th and 1 under Philbin or Gase? Odds were they'd get stuffed behind the line whether they passed it or ran it.

Oh boy, reading these posts is painful. First thing, and it’s not going to feel good, but Fins regressed. Their talent got worse and being optimistic about this season is naive. Best thing they have going for them is an easier schedule and home games early in season at 1PM. The heat will help keep games close. That’s sad, and I like Gase and Grier, but even with a good year from Tannehill they’re at best an 8-8 club.

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading "Dolphins Did All They Wanted This Offseason — But Will It Work?".
If the title was "Dolphins Did All They Could This Offseason and did it well — But Will It Work?, would any of the responses would have been different? Just curious?

Oh boy, reading these posts is painful. First thing, and it’s not going to feel good, but Fins regressed. Their talent got worse and being optimistic about this season is naive. Best thing they have going for them is an easier schedule and home games early in season at 1PM. The heat will help keep games close. That’s sad, and I like Gase and Grier, but even with a good year from Tannehill they’re at best an 8-8 club.

Why is is naive?

The truth might be that the team finishes below .500 but feeling good about a fresh seasons isn't naive it is just being hopeful that **** clicks and the team gels and puts a run together. Optimism isn't being naive it's just called wanting more than living in a cardboard refrigerator box under a train vessel.

We won't beat the Patriots when in matters. When we need a crucial win, we flounder. That has been the calling card of the team for years, unclutch. They can look good when it doesn't matter, when the game is already over or the season is already lost. We can't convert a crucial third down at the end of an important game. We can't get our defense off the field when we need just one stop to win a game that has playoff implications for us.

Perhaps that's why all these changes in personnel.

Why is is naive?

The truth might be that the team finishes below .500 but feeling good about a fresh seasons isn't naive it is just being hopeful that **** clicks and the team gels and puts a run together. Optimism isn't being naive it's just called wanting more than living in a cardboard refrigerator box under a train vessel.

Optimism is saying you hope they make the playoffs. Being naive is saying they will make the playoffs.

I even used the word hope to describe optimism...saying something will happen isn’t hope or confidence though. If it becomes true then you will have proved me wrong and I’d be the naive one. But at this point thinking they’re making the playoffs is just naive. (Showing a lack of experience, wisdom or judgement).

na·ive
nīˈēv/
adjective
  1. (of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.

Last edited:
I even used the word hope to describe optimism...saying something will happen isn’t hope or confidence though. If it becomes true then you will have proved me wrong and I’d be the naive one. But at this point thinking they’re making the playoffs is just naive. (Showing a lack of experience, wisdom or judgement).

na·ive
nīˈēv/
adjective
  1. (of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.
You've been awfully negative lately to the point where you're taking shots at fellow fin fans... if the season is already over for you, maybe you should find something to do that excites you

Back
Top Bottom