Hyde: Finally, An Unknown Dolphin Gets His Good Reward | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Finally, An Unknown Dolphin Gets His Good Reward

Giesler was great, very consistent, andbas was said, very tough...personally I would not go so far to say he was better then Webb, but if you consider how consistent he was, with little said about him, he probably should have gotten as much recognition as Webb.

Where is perennial probowler Ed Newman in the equation. Foster took over when Kooch retired I believe. Newman played a little longer.
You are correct. Newman did play longer than Kooch with Giesler. In fact Newman was All-Pro his last full season.

I remember him and he was mediocre. Nat Moore's statement is a joke. He was an undersized tackle who was decent at everything but not above average at anything. Miami's best linemen were always centers and guards in the 60s, 70s, and 80s until Webb arrived. Who's next on the Walk of Fame, his bookend mate Eric Laakso?
I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's not the ring of honor. He played his entire career with Miami, I think he fits the mold of the "unsung hero" entry level recognition for Dolphins history. Sounds like they plan on adding a Giesler "type" every year. I have no problems with that.

No, Kooch was great and as tough as they come. Probably should be in the HoF. He and Ed Newman and Stephenson were the anchors of that line in the early 80s (with 15 Pro Bowls between them), not Giesler and Laakso. Giesler never came close to making a Pro Bowl.
Gisler was an alternate once. I won't say he was amazing but he was very good. Another guy people forget from those teams is Mark Kennard who was a very good center but once Stephenson came to us his days as a starter were over.

I never knew our Olines were so good in the past. I think this easily explains why we have sucked as a team in recent decades. You guys are naming studs at every position of the Oline, and we dont even have 1 or 2 studs right now.

Back
Top Bottom