Hyde5: Here's The Realistic Dolphins Qb Option In Nfl Draft — And He's Drawn Comparisons To Aaron Ro | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Here's The Realistic Dolphins Qb Option In Nfl Draft — And He's Drawn Comparisons To Aaron Ro

Predraft on Mahomes, only because you said “no’one knew”

“continuing to spend time on Mahomes because of some of the concerns that were brought up..

“There is a huge difference between a hitch and just lazy mechanics..As you watch this kid this past year you see his elbow drop real low where he's basically creating almost a hitch, but, you also see him at times correct it, raise the elbow and bam, pure accuracy created as a result.”

“my point is, its coachable, its not like trying to recreate a swing..”

“I think the kid knew he was going pro, and, I think the game comes so easy for him he just thinks he can get the ball there however the hell he wants..”

“Man, do I wonder because of his buddy coach at Texas tech, how much Gase would like to get his hands on this dude..what a player..The natural way he plays the game, how comfortable he is during operation is very impressive.”

“an incredible nuance he has, is how he uses the threat of him running just to draw the defenders to him to create space in the secondary, then in an instant, just play them like fools and throw it to the spot where they vacated, lol.

head fakes, shoulder deeks, pump fakes, unreal.

“The one thing I believe folks are not thinking through is that he has been programmed to just let it go, just be the ultimate gunslinger and live with any consequences, when he reaches this level they will teach him to take care of the football better and not make as many dangerous throws, and when he learns that, how to manage the game with his skill set, he will be unstoppable.

“I would take him #1 if I was a team needing a QB”

“special football player..”

Who did say that?

I happen to agree... this is QB we should trade up for!

Mahomes had quicker feet and threw with much better anticipation than Lock. While I wouldn't say he was or is particularly accurate, he was more accurate than Lock.

If Lock ended up with Andy Reid, it'd obviously improve his odds, as Reid always puts QB's in favorable situations - and has only improved the more time he's spent in the league. Look at Alex Smith before and after Reid. He went from really bad to serviceable under Harbaugh, and in 2017, he was (statistically) the best deep-ball thrower in the league. In 2018, before his injury, he was barely serviceable again. With the exception of 2012, where he started 9 games, every one of his best seasons saw Reid calling plays.

Probably the hardest thing to project is a QB's ability to read an NFL Defense. NFL teams have the advantage of white-board work during interviews, but that's still very different than doing it in a game. This is the area where Mahomes was most underrated entering the league. He's very, very sharp, and I don't know how any of us could project the same for Lock. In fact, he appears to process information slowly. To be clear, this is different from instincts vs pressure or when the play breaks down. Mahomes struggled in this area at Texas Tech, and he did in 2018, as well.

So, overall, Lock is not as sharp or dynamic as Mahomes, and he won't have Andy Reid calling his plays, developing him, or designing his offense. Outside of both having big arms and throwing nice deep balls (Lock definitely does this well - his best trait), I don't see the similarities.

I do... both very athletic... get the ball out fast... move we’ll in the pocket...gunslingers....strong arms.

I wrote that..There were a few other as well that were extremely high on him..

I’m talking about NFL teams. Fans always think certain QBs are the next big thing. Eventually they’re right, but that’s easy when every QB gets that treatment from some fans.

I still believe that Gardner Minshew is going to be the steal of this draft. Natural at the position, highly competitive and has the "it" factor that his teammates absolutely follow. He is an alpha leader. Watch his tape.
This has to be the host of Locked on Dolphins podcast. It's good and very informative. He goes to Washington as well and gushes about him...

If that’s true, he will go top 5. I would venture a guess that NFL teams have a different view on him than these writers. I don’t know how good he is going to be, but I find it odd that the teams themselves seem much less bullish on him.

How certain were teams publicly about Mahomes at this time that year... you weren’t hearing bullish talk!

How certain were teams publicly about Mahomes at this time that year... you weren’t hearing bullish talk!

Obviously they weren’t certain at all considering he dropped out of the top 10.

Exactly...you can’t base your opinions totally on what NFL teams are saying this time of year...you have to look at the film!

The implication here is that NFL teams don’t look at film though, otherwise why would you claim to see something there that they are missing?

I think what all great QBs have is the ability to process football information efficiently incredibly fast. This is hard to evaluate in college, defenses dont challenge the QBs nearly as much as in the pros.
Yeah, release time and accuracy don't mean much if a QB cant process info quickly. Chad Henne comes to mind. But a QB can be great in every area and with a slow windup throwing motion he'll never be great in the pros. Byron Leftwich is the perfect example. Big, strong, 30 on his Wonderlic, could read a defense, could make every throw, had good accuracy, a natural leader, well liked in the locker room...but looked like a baseball outfielder throwing a football.

I actually would at 13 because if he was a finished product we’d never get him at 13, he won’t get out of the top 20.

I see a guy who might be perfect for the Patriot offense... I’ve watched two games so far, was impressed with his feet and quick decisions... don’t think he’ll get sacked a lot.
I like Lock too but if you watch the Bowl game against Oklahoma State you will understand why people say he’s Jay Cutler 2.0. He throws from his back foot almost every time. I don’t remember him setting his feet and sling it. Too much back foot for me. That really bothered me when I saw that.

NFL.com mock just had Lock going second....and the Dolphins trading up to 9 for Haskins.

If you want to compare someone to Aaron Rodgers, also include the part about being drafted by a well run organization, sitting on the bench for three years while some good QB coaches work on your footwork and get you out of some really bad habits like holding the ball behind your ear on the drop back.

Otherwise, it’s just a guy who has a big arm and some athletic ability.

If Lock is there at 13 I’d start taking trade back calls and try to stack our Oline and Dline. I really don’t see us going QB at 13 no matter who it is. Both Grier and Flores come from a system that had a WORLD beater that was almost not taken at all.

Back
Top Bottom