Hypothetical: If Tannehill was in next years draft, would he go #1? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hypothetical: If Tannehill was in next years draft, would he go #1?

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
Tannehill has really impressed me so far. Sure hes made some mistakes, and we are 1-3, but he is a rookie with very little weapons around him. The thing that impresses me the most so far, is he is making everyone on the offense look better. Not many rookie QBs do that, hell not even many second year QBs do that. He helps the O-line by making protection changes, and with his quick accurate release. And hartline and bess arent the most talented recievers. But tannehill is taking their strength, which is running crisp smart routes and putting the ball right on the money, with impecable timing with them. Most of the routes they run are all about timing, he throws the ball before they make their breaks. Henne couldnt hit a hitch for the life of him. They are benafiting the most. People have been loading the box to stop the run and make tannehill beat them, and tannehill has taken full advantage of this, opening up the run game. I expect teams to blitz less and drop an extra guy or two into coverage. It will be interesting how he adjusts to this. He slids and monuevers well in the pocket to creat that extra second to get the ball off. His arm is the strongest Ive ever seen since Dan played, and he is confident where he wants to put the ball and makes backshoulder and timing routes with ease. He is using his eyes better to look off defenders. All of these things and more make me wonder if next year, which is weak in QB talent, would he be the number 1 pick if he were in the draft pool?

And comparing Tannehill to Henne is light and day. I bet Tannehill has converted more 3rd and 9+ than Henne did in his entire career as a dolphin. I dont care if we go 1-15 (which we wont, we arent that bad). But lets say we go 8-8 and just miss the playoffs, if tannehill contiunes to improve, I will be estatic. The QB curse is over! And Joe Philbin is the man, and he runs the show now, and not jeff ireland. Why do you think our draft this last year was so good?

Geno is going to be the first qb taken he's having an insane season and is more polished and physically gifted than tannehill. I think tannehill is great and I'm happy we have him and he may be a better pro than geno, but at the end of they year teams looking for a qb are going to be drooling over geno's accuracy pocket presence and mobility.

hard to tell cause we dont know where he would've been with Tex AM this season. but barkley was looking to be top rated QB followed by Landry, and now Geno Smith is making a name for himself. unless Tanne was tearing it up then doubt he'd even be number 1, not to mention ive always been a huge fan of murrays from UGA but dunno where he's even predicted

On TGG, Jet Nation and Ji they're already drooling over our local homegrown Mirimar hero Geno. It's funny how quickly formerly polarizing opinions have turned into a consensus on The Taco.

On the basis of college, T17 might still be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken but if a GM had the benefit of a looking glass through these 1st 4 transitional games into the NFL, it's likely he'd be taken over Geno.

Tannehill has really impressed me so far. Sure hes made some mistakes, and we are 1-3, but he is a rookie with very little weapons around him. The thing that impresses me the most so far, is he is making everyone on the offense look better. Not many rookie QBs do that, hell not even many second year QBs do that. He helps the O-line by making protection changes, and with his quick accurate release. And Hartline and Bess aren't the most talented receivers. But Tannehill is taking their strength, which is running crisp smart routes and putting the ball right on the money, with impeccable timing with them. Most of the routes they run are all about timing, he throws the ball before they make their breaks. Henne couldn't hit a hitch for the life of him. They are benefiting the most. People have been loading the box to stop the run and make Tannehill beat them, and Tannehill has taken full advantage of this, opening up the run game. I expect teams to blitz less and drop an extra guy or two into coverage. It will be interesting how he adjusts to this. He slides and maneuvers well in the pocket to create that extra second to get the ball off. His arm is the strongest I've ever seen since Dan played, and he is confident where he wants to put the ball and makes back shoulder and timing routes with ease. He is using his eyes better to look off defenders. All of these things and more make me wonder if next year, which is weak in QB talent, would he be the number 1 pick if he were in the draft pool?

And comparing Tannehill to Henne is light and day. I bet Tannehill has converted more 3rd and 9+ than Henne did in his entire career as a dolphin. I dont care if we go 1-15 (which we wont, we arent that bad). But lets say we go 8-8 and just miss the playoffs, if tannehill contiunes to improve, I will be estatic. The QB curse is over! And Joe Philbin is the man, and he runs the show now, and not jeff ireland. Why do you think our draft this last year was so good?
I'm a Dolphins' fan since 1983.
I'm a huge supporter of Ryan Tannehill since his days in Texas A&M.
I really love what Joe Philbin is making with our team.

But please, stop the madness on glorifying our rookie QB this earlier.

Ryan Tannehill is a rookie, a project for the future, and there are several questions that he needs to answer before deserving glory:
Has he showed potential to be a quality NFL QB?
YES, no question. Last Sunday he set a new franchise record and almost tied NFL record of Cam Newton in most passing yards on a game for a rookie. That means he broke Dan Marino's first team record.
Is he bettering his teammates ?
YES. As you mentioned he's getting the best of his receivers, his o-line and his running backs, but there's still plenty of room to grow.
Is he being consistently developing?
IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL. After 4 games we can't say there's a clear evolution and he could suffer growing pains in upcoming games.
Is he better than Chad Henne on his rookie season?
YES, Chad played only a few minutes as a rookie.
Is he the most athletic passer on Dolphins' history?
NO, there have been great athletes throwing the football in Miami: Pat White, Daunte Culpepper and Ray Lucas. But none of them achieved anything in Miami.
Does he have the strongest arm for a Dolphins' QB since Dan Marino?
NO, Chad Henne and Daunte Culpepper surely posses stronger arms than Ryan Tannehill. But Ryan is above any of them in touch, so we can argue he owns a rare mix of touch and power.
Does he have the finest arm for a Dolphins' QB since Dan Marino?
NO, Chad Pennington deserves such qualification. But Ryan adds an ingredient that Chad never got: great mobility.
Is he our QB of the future?
YES, without doubt. Unless some disastrous injury happens, he's our man for the future.

It be interesting honestly, I think with underclassmen included next year's QB class is very deep.

He really seems to be making huge strides week to week, but I wonder if he would be making the same sort of improvement in a college environment?

I wonder where all of those dopes are who kept starting the "Let's lose every game and draft Barkley next year" are? Hopefully sitting quietly embarrassed in the corner. No way Barkley is a better prospect than Tannehill in any year.

I'm a Dolphins' fan since 1983.
I'm a huge supporter of Ryan Tannehill since his days in Texas A&M.
I really love what Joe Philbin is making with our team.

But please, stop the madness on glorifying our rookie QB this earlier.

Ryan Tannehill is a rookie, a project for the future, and there are several questions that he needs to answer before deserving glory:
Has he showed potential to be a quality NFL QB?
YES, no question. Last Sunday he set a new franchise record and almost tied NFL record of Cam Newton in most passing yards on a game for a rookie. That means he broke Dan Marino's first team record.
Is he bettering his teammates ?
YES. As you mentioned he's getting the best of his receivers, his o-line and his running backs, but there's still plenty of room to grow.
Is he being consistently developing?
IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL. After 4 games we can't say there's a clear evolution and he could suffer growing pains in upcoming games.
Is he better than Chad Henne on his rookie season?
YES, Chad played only a few minutes as a rookie.
Is he the most athletic passer on Dolphins' history?
NO, there have been great athletes throwing the football in Miami: Pat White, Daunte Culpepper and Ray Lucas. But none of them achieved anything in Miami.
Does he have the strongest arm for a Dolphins' QB since Dan Marino?
NO, Chad Henne and Daunte Culpepper surely posses stronger arms than Ryan Tannehill. But Ryan is above any of them in touch, so we can argue he owns a rare mix of touch and power.
Does he have the finest arm for a Dolphins' QB since Dan Marino?
NO, Chad Pennington deserves such qualification. But Ryan adds an ingredient that Chad never got: great mobility.
Is he our QB of the future?
YES, without doubt. Unless some disastrous injury happens, he's our man for the future.

Chad "noodle arm" Pennington has a better arm than Tannehill? Seriously? What are you smoking man?

Back
Top Bottom