I agree with the decision to keep Wannstedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I agree with the decision to keep Wannstedt

Bumrush

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
EDIT: I agree with the decision to keep Wannstedt

As someone that bashed Wannstedt last year before and after the devastating NE loss and bashed him all season long, I can't say I disagree with the decision to keep him. This is based on several reasons.

1) Tradition- Don Shula was the ultimate professional and role model in the community. He brought honor, integrity and consistency to this organization. When JJ came here he flaunted the legacy of Shula and Marino and could not handle the pressure. Wannstedt, on the other hand, has honored the tradition and legacy of the Miami Dolphins. He is a hard working individual that represents this team professionally and honorably.
2) Former Dolphins and Current Dolphins Support Wannstedt- The reports are that Wayne had everyone from Don Shula to Dan Marino involved in this decision. These cornerstones of our franchise are obviously on Dave’s side and understand better than any of us how hard it is to remain consistent in the NFL. Shula and Marino did not carry a Lombardi together and are both aware of how many different variables have to go in you favor to win it all.
3) The way the team played the last two weeks – All over the NFL, teams with lame-duck coaches have given up like a bunch of cowards. Look at teams like the Giants, Raiders Redskins, ect.. On the other hand, you have players on this team that support the coach and played a heck of a game when his job was supposedly on the line. Love or hate Fiedler he came up big for his coach. So did Chambers and so did our Defense. This says a lot about how the players view their coach.
4) 10-6 – Our record was not that bad this year and we were two missed field goals away from being 12-4.
5) No more dual-duties – By bringing in a strong GM you eliminate his weakest flaw. A strong GM will give Dave the ability to focus on football and motivating his players rather than screwing around with the draft and other time consuming GM activities.

In conclusion, I’m happy to see that Dave will be back. He has handeled himself well with all the pressure around him and deserves another shot. Hopefully he can make changes at the QB position and can continue to help grow the offense. I like Wannstedt as a person and wish him nothing but success next year as the coach of our team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll only agree with it if he pulls a Mike Holmgren and completely turns the team around next year.

If your talking about his stint in Seattle it took him 3 years to get to the playoffs and they are playing as the 6th seed. The Dolphins are used to much better :)

As long as jay and a few coachs go I guess one more year of wanny might not be to bad! His win total does look pretty good. He better hope our O catches up to our D! If not so long wanny after next year! I THINK!!!!

Originally posted by Bumrush
If your talking about his stint in Seattle it took him 3 years to get to the playoffs and they are playing as the 6th seed. The Dolphins are used to much better :)

Wasn't Homey with Seattle when we beat them in the 1st round?

Bumrush: I don't know, I mean if he's the coach yes I hope he can get it done. but, I think the new G.M. needs to dismiss some of these "friends" that he has as coaches. Someone needs to be the "Candle Lighter"!

Originally posted by Bumrush

Couple of quick notes: first, Holmgren did make the play-offs his first year, in 1999, when the Dolphins took Seattle out in the first round. And Seattle actually is the 5th seed this year. But anyways, I am referring more to the fact that Seattle improved from 7-9 to 10-6 after Holmgren was stripped of his GM power.. If the Dolphins also make a three-game improvement, to 13-3, I will be ecstatic.

Originally posted by DolphinzD

Couple of quick notes: first, Holmgren did make the play-offs his first year, in 1999, when the Dolphins took Seattle out in the first round. And Seattle actually is the 5th seed this year. But anyways, I am referring more to the fact that Seattle improved from 7-9 to 10-6 after Holmgren was stripped of his GM power.. If the Dolphins also make a three-game improvement, to 13-3, I will be ecstatic.

Yeah I'll be ecstatic too, as long as we can get into the playoffs with that record.

Back
Top Bottom