I Am Not Bashing Jay | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Am Not Bashing Jay

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
but i am bashing the media. It seems that in every pro Jay aritcle that is written the writer comments about how accurate he is. In this ariticle for example Norv Turner coments on Jay's accuracy.

"What I look at it is that he won 22 games (including playoffs) in two years," said offensive coordinator Norv Turner, "and there aren't a lot of guys who can say that about their entire careers. Obviously, he's been with good teams, but Jay has a lot going for him: He's a great competitor; he's good under pressure, especially in the fourth quarters of games; he's very calm and seldom gets rattled; he has a quick release; he's athletic; he's smart, and he's very, very accurate. People will say he's not great at any one thing. Well, maybe that's true, but he's good at almost everything."

I have one question for Norv and every member of the media. How can a guy that has thrown 40+ints in 2 seasons(includeing playoffs) be considerd "very, very accurate"? Its not just his ints that tell this tale, but if you have watched Jay you would know that he is far from pin point accuracy. I wouldn't say he has erratic accuarcy, but by no means would anyone say he is "very. very accurate." It just seems to me that since the media sees a smaller qb that doesn't have great arm strength they assume he is a very accurate passer. I think this is a cop out, and very uneducated. The reason Jay has been sucsefull is not his accuracy, but rather his unwavering will to win. He inturn is a great leader because he is the first guy in that huddle that will go the extra mile for the victory. If it takes a ten yard jaunt that is capped off with a huge hit to the nuggen from Kearse, a 15 yard dart down the middle of the feild to a streaking Ward that he didn't have the arm strength to even attempt, or if it means adding 20lbs of muscle mass in the off season to win you know Jay will give it his all, and 9 out of 10 times he will get it done, and the best thing about Jay on the 10th time when he falls short he is the first to take the blame. He doesn't point fingers he wants all the blame, and thats why Jay has been a winner, not his accuracy.

Jay is very accurate on the short-medium range passes. He didn't have many INTS that were in that range. Lots of QBs get picked off in that range anyhow. I did see a few INTS that were off the mark totally and not in a long range, but not too many.

I think you are wrong. For proof please see both ints returned for tds against Oakland, both ints in the first indy game, his int in the first NE game, the int in the end zone in NY. None of those passes were over 15 yards. Anyway from watching 99% of his games I know Jay is not a "very, very accurate" passer, but this post isn't really about that. It was about the Media not being able to put their finger on what makes Jay a good qb.

I agree that he is not 'very very accurate' but he is better than a lot of QBs at short to middle range accuracy.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
I agree that he is not 'very very accurate' but he is better than a lot of QBs at short to middle range accuracy.

No offense, but i think this is a cop out. If your a starting QB in the NFL it is pretty much a given that you can hit the short to middle range routes with ease.

Well, if you are looking at INT's as a measure of accuracy, there is something wrong. Just because a QB has a lot of INT's doesn't mean he is not an accurate passer. What was Jay's number one knock by the fans early in the year?? I'll tell you. The fact that he was locking on receivers... allowing Safeties/Corners to cheat on coverage and make a play for the ball. So, even though he through a perfectly "accurate" pass, the play would result in an INT because the defender knew exactly where it was going and put himself into position to make the pick. There is also the fact that SEVERAL of his INT's last year were on tipped balls. So, looking at INT's has nothing to do with accuracy. But, if you look at Jay's completion percentage it is consistently in the 60% rnage which is a pretty good mark for a QB, especially one with an extrmely predictable game plan via Chan Gailey, and no running game.

Thank you grooves, I have been trying to point that out for as long as I can remember now. An interception isn't always the QB's fault, and an interception isn't always because of bad accuracy. Another note you forgot to mention, a lot of interceptions occur when the receiver and QB are off rhythm or not on the same page. Say the receiver runs a 0 route instead of a stop and go, the ball is gonna go 40 yards downfield while he is standing 7 yards downfield. That's not necessarily the QB's fault or the WR's fault, it just happens. One more example is if a receiver is bumped at the line and the QB doesn't recognize it right away, that can put them off a second or two which is just enough to get picked off clean and have the other team going the other way.

But, if you look at Jay's completion percentage it is consistently in the 60% rnage which is a pretty good mark for a QB, especially one with an extrmely predictable game plan via Chan Gailey, and no running game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly, in Chan's offense how many screen passes did Jay throw a game? At least 5. Don't you think the screen passes could scew the comp %. He isn't even very accuarate on the screen passes, the pass usually pulls the WR in the wrong direction killing his momentum. Watch someone like Gannon who also throws alot of screen passes as well, 95% of the time he hits the receiver at chest level right in the hands, then watch Jay's screens and you will see what I am talking about. Again I am not bashing Jay becuase I know he brings more to the table, but he is not "very, very accurate". He constantly underthrows deep routes, and overthrows crossing routes.

I read an article somewhere online last week that said that Jay's deep throws were often MEANT to be jump balls because we are a ball-control offense and the coaches wanted to pick up a big chunk of yardage as opposed to hitting the homerun and putting the defense back on the field. (boy that was a big sentence).

Don't know if this is true or not. Just something I read. What do you guys think??

If Norv Turner, on eof the best Offensive game planners around says Jay is "very, very, accurate" then I say ok.

I have seen Jay throw some deep balls that miss the receivers by anywhere from a foot, to 10 yards. I have also seen Dan Marino hit receiver after receiver...putting the ball exactly where he wanted too, time and time again. I think THAT is what really skews us.

Jay is average, with 110% heart. Like Dajesus said, the guy has a will to win bigger than any QB in the league, he just doesn't have the major league talent. I compare him to Gannon, and with a few more seasons under his belt, I think he will be as good as Rich or even better.

Accuracy is just another word to be thrown around. If you complete 60% of your passes, screens or not, your fairly accurate. I honestly think Norv was just pumping his QB.

"ball control offense"

NOW THATS FUNNY! whatever game plan it was, i hope its in the crapper now that chan is gone. no wonder the cowboys were so bad when he was head coach!:toliet:

Originally posted by Muck
I read an article somewhere online last week that said that Jay's deep throws were often MEANT to be jump balls because we are a ball-control offense and the coaches wanted to pick up a big chunk of yardage as opposed to hitting the homerun and putting the defense back on the field. (boy that was a big sentence).

Don't know if this is true or not. Just something I read. What do you guys think??

You read this so what i am about to say does not apply to you, but that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard! That sports writer should get his press pass revoked, and let Jimmy the Greek piss on it.

Originally posted by dolfan87
If Norv Turner, on eof the best Offensive game planners around says Jay is "very, very, accurate" then I say ok.

I have seen Jay throw some deep balls that miss the receivers by anywhere from a foot, to 10 yards. I have also seen Dan Marino hit receiver after receiver...putting the ball exactly where he wanted too, time and time again. I think THAT is what really skews us.

True true.

Jay is average, with 110% heart. Like Dajesus said, the guy has a will to win bigger than any QB in the league, he just doesn't have the major league talent. I compare him to Gannon, and with a few more seasons under his belt, I think he will be as good as Rich or even better.

I could see that f he starts hitting the short routes with pin point accuracy.

Accuracy is just another word to be thrown around. If you complete 60% of your passes, screens or not, your fairly accurate. I honestly think Norv was just pumping his QB.

I really don't want to look at numbers, but couldn't the same be said for 40+ints? The bottom line is if you watch Jay you will see he does not have the presicion that some sports writers say he has, but what ever he has it is getting the job done in the reg season. Lets hope RW will help him make the jump to sucsess in the post season.

Back
Top Bottom