I am not too excited about the big 3 RB's in this draft...are you? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am not too excited about the big 3 RB's in this draft...are you?

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Ok...maybe "Suck" is a little harsh....but let me say that Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Cedric Benson don't have me getting visions of 1500 yard rushers in my head......

Ronnie Brown: Looks like a straight ahead runner without much quickness to elude tacklers......Curtis Enis anyone?

Cadillac Williams: Elusive, but his Yards after Contact were non existant....not the greatest stat to have.

Cedric Benson: His performances in big games is a concern.....200 yards against Baylor...then 92 against Oklahoma?......Not good.....He also carried the ball a little too much in college for my taste.

If you put a gun to my head...I would say that Ronnie Brown is the best of the three....He has the most tools......

The only sure thing in this draft?...I would say Braylon Edwards....Aren't you like forced to HIT Big with the 2nd overall pick?

Respectfully disagree. They have weaknesses, but this is a really, really, good class of RBs. Brown is one of the most well-rounded prospects to come out in a long time (Edge? LT?). Benson is a slightly worse version of Ricky, but only Ricky was Ricky. Caddy is the best pure runner, and so behind the right line he's going to do some great things. He may not catch and block as well as other prospects, but in terms of rushing yards, he'll rack 'em up IMO.

ABSOLUTELY!

Couldn't agree more! Braylon is the best player in this draft IMO...

IF forced to pick a back I'd trade down and take Cedric Benson. You're right...the mileage is a concern, but he's the most proven.

and caddy can get yards after contact, people still think hes this little back that is only elusive and quick... but hes the same size as edge and can get low to break tackles like edge... he'll be a good back... i rate em
benson
caddy
brown
and im VERY excited to see benson in a dolphins uni, id be mighty happy, but id be happy with any of them over braylon edwards...

Fair or unfair, I don't want Benson, he reminds me to much of Ricky! I like Caddie and Brown, but I think if we stay at # 2 , Saban may just pick Edwards!

Ronnie Brown: Looks like a straight ahead runner without much quickness to elude tacklers......Curtis MARTIN anyone? How about Jamaal Lewis?

Cadillac Williams: Elusive, but his Yards after Contact were non existant....not the greatest stat to have. - I'm not sure where you got his stats, but Caddie is a tough inside runner who is NEVER brought down by the initial contact. He was also used in a lot of short yardage situations, thus skewing his numbers.

Cedric Benson: His performances in big games is a concern.....200 yards against Baylor...then 92 against Oklahoma?......Not good.....He also carried the ball a little too much in college for my taste. - I agree about Benson.

TXFinFan said:
Ronnie Brown: Looks like a straight ahead runner without much quickness to elude tacklers......Curtis MARTIN anyone? How about Jamaal Lewis?

Cadillac Williams: Elusive, but his Yards after Contact were non existant....not the greatest stat to have. - I'm not sure where you got his stats, but Caddie is a tough inside runner who is NEVER brought down by the initial contact. He was also used in a lot of short yardage situations, thus skewing his numbers.

Cedric Benson: His performances in big games is a concern.....200 yards against Baylor...then 92 against Oklahoma?......Not good.....He also carried the ball a little too much in college for my taste. - I agree about Benson.

I like your analogy better.

I disagree also, I think all 3 could turn out to be good pros, and I really like Ronnie Brown

TXFinFan said:

You mentioned two guys, those two are the exception...not the rule......give me some time and I can give you about 400,..want another one? How bout JJ Johnson?......

Hey....tell that to Mel Kiper Jr....

Ronnie brown reminds me to much on JJ Johnson w/more speed. Straight ahead runner. I'm not sold on this guy.

Caddie I have a feeling he's gonna be a good back, not great but good.

Benson, what's wrong with the comparisons of ricky? Ricky was a dominate running back. Now benson could become a great back but like Section said, he disappears in big games.

Overall I'd take Benson, Caddie, then Brown.

This is the worst case scenario:

Ronnie Brown: JJ Johnson

Cadillac Williams: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Cedric Benson: Sammy Smith

YIKES!

If we could trade with Tampa down from two to five (nothing but speculation), we could still realistically pick Brown. Not bad. I hope they give us their 1st and 2nd rounders to pick 2nd. That would be pretty even IMO. I don’t think Cleveland or Chicago will select RBs over WRs at numbers 3 and 4 in round 1 leaving us Brown who I think will be a solid runner and great receiver out of the backfield. The guy has potential and we could pay him less at pick 5 than pick 2.

Section126 said:
Ok...maybe "Suck" is a little harsh....but let me say that Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Cedric Benson don't have me getting visions of 1500 yard rushers in my head......

Ronnie Brown: Looks like a straight ahead runner without much quickness to elude tacklers......Curtis Enis anyone?

Cadillac Williams: Elusive, but his Yards after Contact were non existant....not the greatest stat to have.

Cedric Benson: His performances in big games is a concern.....200 yards against Baylor...then 92 against Oklahoma?......Not good.....He also carried the ball a little too much in college for my taste.

If you put a gun to my head...I would say that Ronnie Brown is the best of the three....He has the most tools......

The only sure thing in this draft?...I would say Braylon Edwards....Aren't you like forced to HIT Big with the 2nd overall pick?

Totally agree Section..........I don't see any of the three runningbacks as "special" enough to warrant this pick, if we trade down maybe.

I Would be happy with Edwards, even Williams if we don't choose a quarterback.

I'd rather draft a runner later, hope for a Ricky return and go with the runners we already have as opposed to using a #2 pick in the draft on any of these runners.

i have to disagree, because i think they all are better than Kevin Jones, and Julius Jones and the kid from St. Louis....the backs who stepped up from last years class and made something significant from day one... I feel that everyone of these backs in thier own way WITH thier weekenesses can run 1,200 THIS year in a miami Uni...and honestly thats all you want from a back....1,800 is nice but its not all that necessary....especially in Linehans Offense...and honestly looking at Linehan's former backs none of them are big bruisers and they all get low to the floor and make something happen with the speed they have

There isn't a damn one of you that has watched these running backs. If you had, then you wouldn't be making completely off the wall comparisons like the one of Ronnie Brown to Curtis Enis. Please!! The two backs aren't even the same type of build and definitely don't have the same skill set.

These three running backs are easily the best runningbacks since LaDainian Tomlinson was drafted, and it's the best group of top backs since Edgerrin James and Ricky Williams were drafted.

The fact of the matter is, Ronnie Brown's skill set and body type most closely resembles Ahman Green than any other running back. He's a great at catching the ball out of the backfield and has the speed to run the downfield routes that the tight end would run. He's also a terrific runner who has the burst of speed to get to the outside and the size to run it in between the tackles. Just because he is a one cut and up the field runner isn't a reason to knock him. Those are the types of running backs that are the best running backs in the NFL.

Cedric Benson is so close to Ricky Williams on the field that if you didn't know their name, you would think they were the same running back. Cedric has tremendous explosion coming out of his stance. The guy rarely goes down on first contact. Out of 1,112 career rushing attempts, he lost yards on only 35 carries or so. Cedric has great power, excellent vision, tremendous balance, and extremely quick feet. To knock him for being a four year starter is absolutely ridiculous.

Cadillac Williams is another explosive running back with tremendous vision, balance, and quickness in the open field. He's also got deceptive power. Tremendous instincts. He reminds me of Curtis Martin in that he can slip through the smallest of holes and sees everything on the field from the playside to the backside.

Back
Top Bottom