I am SOLD on Andrew Walter... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am SOLD on Andrew Walter...

Good summation; I agree

Roman529 said:
As an ASU grad I have watched a lot of Sun Devil games.....in person and also most of their PAC-10 games on TV...I would love to be a big Andrew Walter fan, but the guy is incredibly slow....he CANNOT move around the pocket well, and he does not have good foot work....he is tall and has a nice arm, but if you put pressure on him he goes down...he won't be half the player that Jake the Snake Plummer was coming out of ASU....If he is taken I would not take him before the 5th round. Sorry just my honest assessment as an ASU grad and fan.

Many of the top QB prospects are from the West this year. I'm guessing many fans on this board didn't see them very often. There is no other rationale I can think of for all this positive discussion of Andrew Walter. He is slightly more mobile than Tommy Trojan, the statue on USC's campus. As you indicate, he willingly caves under pressure. Or he thrills to throw mindlessly into heavy coverage. When things go wrong, he looks to the sideline with a befuddled expression. An easy no thank you.

PhinfanBo1 said:
I am telling you, Andrew Walter is going to be the best quarterback to come out of this class. He is coming off a season ending injury and wasn't really able to work out much pre-draft which obviously hurt his stock, but it is NOT a season ending injury and he will be available, at the latest by the start of training camp. When you are talking about grooming a guy to be the "the man" in a couple of years, not right away, this is really not very important, if important at all. What IS important is that Walter is 6'6 230 with a gun for an arm, an extremely impressive college resume, a quick release and underrated mobility. He will not be mistaken for Michael Vick any time soon, but he does run a 4.83 40 and he can move around in the pocket and his footwork is pretty solid. He IS a classic drop back passer but he has better athletic ability and gets rid of the ball quicker than a Bledsoe or a Brian Griese. He was a gun slinger in college that put up big time passing numbers but also avoided interceptions and was very, very acurate. Although he needs a little work on his technique and some refinement in his game, he has the tools to be better than Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. After watching him on tape, I just see a guy that is going to be a pro bowler in this league and a charismatic young man who can be a leader on and off the field. His attitude, talent, and the fact that he should be available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, in my mind, makes him an extremely attractive prospect that I will be VERY dissapointed if Saban doesn't make a move for on draft day.

I think Andrew Walter is Matt Schaub with a stronger arm.

i'm from Arizona and watched Walter in every ASU game this year (Except for the Cal game, and the second half of USC's game), and every time i watched him, i said "wow, wouldnt it be great if the dolphins drafted him?" and i still think it would be. Footwork is something that can be worked on and improved upon in camp, you cant make a guy grow or turn him into a leader in camp, Walter has the size, the ability and the intangibles, so he cant move his feet well? well, then thats what agility drills are for.

I've been on the Walter bandwagon for awhile. I agree that he WILL be the best QB in this draft. His quick "Marinoesque" release is the substitute for mobility. I'd rather have a guy who makes quick decisions with a cannon arm than a scrambler like Vick.

Walter is projected to be the 5th QB taken in this draft, hmmmm i think the greatest pure passer in NFL history was taken 5th in his draft.

Dudeman said:
McNabb got to a SB....Vick got to the Championship game...Culpepper beat GB in Lambeau and went on to the second round.

A mobile QB allows for broken plays without a surefire sack. They can also run on designed plays.

Andrew Walter is a young Drew Bledsoe at best. He has the same qualities...tall, big arm, statuesque

plus, with Walter, who actually knows when his shoulder will be 100%?

good thing that the main guys that recently played under Linehan, Saban, and Houck were mobile guys. Culpepper, Brees, Marcus Randall, JaMarcus Russell, even Matt Mauck could scramble, albeit not as well as Randall or Culpepper. The lone exception really is Frerotte, who is a pocket passer.

A pocket passer for this offense right now would be big, whether it Campbell, Frye, Smith, Rodgers, McPherson, whoever.

If the line collapses, these guys can get outside the pocket and run, picking up first downs in the process.

McNabb is a pocket passer. Yeah, he can run. But he is not THAT mobile. He can move. Vick got to the playoffs -the NFC Championship, but I'd be surprised if he wins a SB. Good defenses realize that stopping his running means beating the Falcons. Vick can't beat you through the air. I'll take a passing, pocket QB with good pocket quickness any day over a scrambler.

NYFCat said:
He'll be a name at the Top of Day 2

There's been a rush of Andrew Walter threads and it's sad. It's sad because he's not any good. The guy was projected to be a top contender for QB in 05 and blew it. He's very inaccurate (at all), forces to many throws, poor mechanics, up and down his whole career and he's coming off a major injury.

Hostile7 said:
There's been a rush of Andrew Walter threads and it's sad. It's sad because he's not any good. The guy was projected to be a top contender for QB in 05 and blew it. He's very inaccurate (at all), forces to many throws, poor mechanics, up and down his whole career and he's coming off a major injury.

[font=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]2004 Stats 3,150 yards, 30 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 57% Cmp. With very little talent around him. Yeah, looks like a blew it /sarcasm off. He would be a 1st rounder for sure if he hadn't inujured his shoulder.[/font]

What the hell is going on? I've never seen this much support for Walter. I made the bandwagon a week ago.. Join up if you like him so much :)

SCall13 said:
McNabb is a pocket passer. Yeah, he can run. But he is not THAT mobile. He can move. Vick got to the playoffs -the NFC Championship, but I'd be surprised if he wins a SB. Good defenses realize that stopping his running means beating the Falcons. Vick can't beat you through the air. I'll take a passing, pocket QB with good pocket quickness any day over a scrambler.

McNabb used to use his feet way too much. He may not be all that fast but he is a load to bring down.

That said, look at him over the last two seasons, he has worked very hard with his pocket awareness, and it's paying off big time.

I too will take the pocket passer over the running Qb's anyday of the week. It's nice if a Qb is not a total stiff, but a Qb should throw, and a Rb should run....

I believ walter is the exact quarterback we are looking for u want a guy who is going to come in and sit 1-2 yrs before we start him and if he theres in the 4th i think u gotta take him because he would have been a late 1st early 2nd pick if he wasnt and remember he was rated higher than rivers was last yr in the draft if he came ot but he didnt. This guy is a big guy witha cannon wich helps out chambers because he has never had a quarterback who can throw him the bomb and with walters we have that

Slappy8800 said:
hey how bout we sign ryan leaf too?

There is absolutely nothing that Leaf and Walter share in common mentally :shakeno:

I'm still waiting for Walter's workout news to come out. It was today April 6.

I read up in this thread where Walters is considered poor, but isn't he supposed to be the 3rd QB taken by the draftniks ?? That would put him at least in the 2nd round somewhere, not a day two guy ??

Back
Top Bottom