I am SOLD on Andrew Walter... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am SOLD on Andrew Walter...

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
I am telling you, Andrew Walter is going to be the best quarterback to come out of this class. He is coming off a season ending injury and wasn't really able to work out much pre-draft which obviously hurt his stock, but it is NOT a season ending injury and he will be available, at the latest by the start of training camp. When you are talking about grooming a guy to be the "the man" in a couple of years, not right away, this is really not very important, if important at all. What IS important is that Walter is 6'6 230 with a gun for an arm, an extremely impressive college resume, a quick release and underrated mobility. He will not be mistaken for Michael Vick any time soon, but he does run a 4.83 40 and he can move around in the pocket and his footwork is pretty solid. He IS a classic drop back passer but he has better athletic ability and gets rid of the ball quicker than a Bledsoe or a Brian Griese. He was a gun slinger in college that put up big time passing numbers but also avoided interceptions and was very, very acurate. Although he needs a little work on his technique and some refinement in his game, he has the tools to be better than Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. After watching him on tape, I just see a guy that is going to be a pro bowler in this league and a charismatic young man who can be a leader on and off the field. His attitude, talent, and the fact that he should be available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, in my mind, makes him an extremely attractive prospect that I will be VERY dissapointed if Saban doesn't make a move for on draft day.

Totally agree. If he wasn't injured, he would've been a top 3 pick. Bash me all you want on this, but he had more TD's then Rodgers, and was more successfull then smith. Is a true field general.

I can't share your enthusiasm, I watched a few of his games and was not very impressed with his passing, he also looks like one of the most immobile QB's coming out, I wouldn't care if we took a late round flyer on him (Rounds 5-7), but no way a first day pick.

Andrew Walter is thought of more highly on this board than he probably is by his parents. I can't believe that some people here think he would be a top pick if he were healthy. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and maybe he could have been a first rounder if he werent injured, but he is about as mobile as a 80 year old woman and didn't have the year people were expecting from him before his injury. I would love to take him in the 4th and maybe even the 3rd because he has a cannon for an arm and good potential, but injury or not he would not have been rated higher than Rogers or Smith.

I am still intruiged by McPherson personally. 6'6"? Sounds like a big target behind our O-line. Might as well put a bullseye on his chest.

This in not in defense of Walter. But what is the infatuation with mobile QBs? Granted, I know some of you are concerned about an immobile QB behind our line in its current state of flux. But the better QBs in the league are, and always have been, pocket passers. There seems to be somewhat of a trend toward more mobile QBs in the NFL. But it isn't so much there running ability is at is their ability to move within the pocket to buy more time. I think there is too much stress put on mobility. Good pocket presence and a quick release are more important than running a 4.6 forty for a QB. Yes, you want to be able to be somewhat nibble footed but being a scrambler has never won anyone a Super Bowl...

Tarkenton, Cunningham, Vick..these are all runners. They never won a Super Bowl.

Just my personal thought on the subject.

estrada507 said:
Totally agree. If he wasn't injured, he would've been a top 3 pick. Bash me all you want on this, but he had more TD's then Rodgers, and was more successfull then smith. Is a true field general.

How was he more successful than Alex Smith?

Alex Smith lead his team to an undefeated record beating several BCS teams in the process and a Fiesta Bowl win over Pitt.

Both Rodgers and Smith completed about 10% more of their attempted passes than Walter and both had significantly higher QB ratings.

SCall13 said:
This in not in defense of Walter. But what is the infatuation with mobile QBs? Granted, I know some of you are concerned about an immobile QB behind our line in its current state of flux. But the better QBs in the league are, and always have been, pocket passers. There seems to be somewhat of a trend toward more mobile QBs in the NFL. But it isn't so much there running ability is at is their ability to move within the pocket to buy more time. I think there is too much stress put on mobility. Good pocket presence and a quick release are more important than running a 4.6 forty for a QB. Yes, you want to be able to be somewhat nibble footed but being a scrambler has never won anyone a Super Bowl...

Tarkenton, Cunningham, Vick..these are all runners. They never won a Super Bowl.

Just my personal thought on the subject.

McNabb got to a SB....Vick got to the Championship game...Culpepper beat GB in Lambeau and went on to the second round.

A mobile QB allows for broken plays without a surefire sack. They can also run on designed plays.

Andrew Walter is a young Drew Bledsoe at best. He has the same qualities...tall, big arm, statuesque

plus, with Walter, who actually knows when his shoulder will be 100%?

good thing that the main guys that recently played under Linehan, Saban, and Houck were mobile guys. Culpepper, Brees, Marcus Randall, JaMarcus Russell, even Matt Mauck could scramble, albeit not as well as Randall or Culpepper. The lone exception really is Frerotte, who is a pocket passer.

A pocket passer for this offense right now would be big, whether it Campbell, Frye, Smith, Rodgers, McPherson, whoever.

If the line collapses, these guys can get outside the pocket and run, picking up first downs in the process.

How successful is Peyton Manning? The guy is a pure statue.

Fiedler was a mobile QB,and look where that got us.

NorFlaFin said:

and look at his line, and the weapons he had around him...Dan Marino would've been successful with everything they have there as well.

We don't have a great offensive line, we dont have the great RB, we dont have the great Harrison-like receiver...thats why he's successful

it would serve a better purpose going with a mobile QB with the line that we have. for all the bashing that was done to him, Fiedler could avoid sacks, and pick up yardage if he needed to

NorFlaFin said:

if we want someone that will be a statue, I'll still take the man bellow!

17008494-1.jpg

PhinfanBo1 said:
I am telling you, Andrew Walter is going to be the best quarterback to come out of this class. He is coming off a season ending injury and wasn't really able to work out much pre-draft which obviously hurt his stock, but it is NOT a season ending injury and he will be available, at the latest by the start of training camp. When you are talking about grooming a guy to be the "the man" in a couple of years, not right away, this is really not very important, if important at all. What IS important is that Walter is 6'6 230 with a gun for an arm, an extremely impressive college resume, a quick release and underrated mobility. He will not be mistaken for Michael Vick any time soon, but he does run a 4.83 40 and he can move around in the pocket and his footwork is pretty solid. He IS a classic drop back passer but he has better athletic ability and gets rid of the ball quicker than a Bledsoe or a Brian Griese. He was a gun slinger in college that put up big time passing numbers but also avoided interceptions and was very, very acurate. Although he needs a little work on his technique and some refinement in his game, he has the tools to be better than Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. After watching him on tape, I just see a guy that is going to be a pro bowler in this league and a charismatic young man who can be a leader on and off the field. His attitude, talent, and the fact that he should be available in the late 2nd or early 3rd round, in my mind, makes him an extremely attractive prospect that I will be VERY dissapointed if Saban doesn't make a move for on draft day.

As an ASU grad I have watched a lot of Sun Devil games.....in person and also most of their PAC-10 games on TV...I would love to be a big Andrew Walter fan, but the guy is incredibly slow....he CANNOT move around the pocket well, and he does not have good foot work....he is tall and has a nice arm, but if you put pressure on him he goes down...he won't be half the player that Jake the Snake Plummer was coming out of ASU....If he is taken I would not take him before the 5th round. Sorry just my honest assessment as an ASU grad and fan.

Didn't Indy draft all those playmakers? Or did the Colts clap their collective hands and poof! Playmakers appeared?

Think long term please.

Back
Top Bottom