I dont have HBO so I have a question about Philbin for you hardcore guys | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont have HBO so I have a question about Philbin for you hardcore guys

this is the best head coach miami has had since don shula n jimmy johnson days. I like philbin n think he is going to a great successful hc in nfl.

One episode of Hard Knocks is a very small size, so it is hard to make a judgement just yet. However, he did come across as a little softer than I would expect an NFL coach to be. Only time will tell how this works out for him.

The days of coaching have changed. Fear and punishment are not the only ways to go. I think Philbin has showed (based on the show) that he understands creating relationships out of respect and a common interest of being succesful is most important. I don't think Belicheat is strike the fear of God type of guy either. Good coaches let their players know what they expect and hold them to it. They are leaders that push for a common goal, provide the path to follow and eliminate the ones not following that path. You can get results and demand they follow the path without being a jerk. The mighty dollar and playing time get results more than anything these days.

I wouldn't go that far, but the scene where he interrupted the coaches meeting for no apparent reason would not fly with the likes of bill belichick or tom coughlin. It was a pretty entertaining scene though.
WOW!!! Very well said!!!
Let me start by saying I love most of everything I have seen and heard from Philbin before lastnight. He is very detailed, organized, and knows what he wants and has a great plan of how to get it. He seems very inteligent and has been a success every where he has been. But being a leader is a little different. One thing he said in the conversation with Chad that made me cringe was when he made the comment along the lines of, "I'm not running a dictatorship, you can come to me and talk about anything and we will work something out". Well you might not be running a dictatorship but you BETTER not be running a democracy. You won't ever see Coughlin or Belichick taking a poll to see what everyone wants to do. They make a decision and everyone does it plan and simple. While it is fine to be available to your players to hear about their problems he has to make it clear to the players that HE has the final say, and if it is something they don't like, well "TOUGH".

I know this is a little thing, and there was jus a couple of small incidents like this. I also know that this is Philbins first go at HC and he is learning like everyone has to do. But it is worth monitoring. I want to see him make a few tough decisions as a leader, rather than acting like he is apologizing. He did the same thing when talking to the QBs while telling them the depth chart. He looked uncomfortable as if some of them were not going to like it. You can't be worried if those around you like you when you are a leader. There is zero chance that 3 of the 4 of those QBs are going to like not being the starter, so take all the information you have and make the best decision and confidentally pass that info to the ones that need to know it.

As I said to start with, I love Philbin and think he can turn things around. He is very intelligent and has some great ideas. But no one is perfect and he could tighten up some of his leadership qualities IMO. I really don't think you would have ever seen Don Shula handle the Chad situ in that manner. Shula WAS a dictator but he was fair and players could talk to him. And those players would give 110% to be the best they could be. But NOBODY doubted who made the decisions!!!

From what I recall reading, Cam ran a very loose & more relaxed practice to his detriment. Philbin on the other hand seems to run a very tight, well organized practice. He doesn’t waste time playing games with the players. He demands that his players act like the professionals they are. Of course that doesn’t always work but I get the impression that those players won’t be around for very long.

So far I’ve been very impressed by Philbin and his coaching staff but the real test will probably come when this team faces some adversity. If, heaven forbid, this teams starts 0-7 again, the wheels may fall off rather quickly. But I have more optimism today than I’ve had in a long time.

A point to consider is that wherever Philbin has gone, the players he has worked with have almost unanimously been extremely loyal to him. Given some time as head coach, I think the idea of any dissension among the players will be put to rest because it simply won't be tolerated by Philbin's leaders on the roster. So long as he is able to coach a solid core, I see it as a non-issue.

I do think Philbin has displayed some nervousness. Part of that could be Hard Knocks. Part of it could just be his demeanor around the office. I noticed he was straight down to business on the field and commanded authority during practice. I have personally found it easier to manage and speak to large groups (40 or more) than it is conduct business with one or a few. There is just so much that can happen dynamically in a dialogue. I mean, Johnson could probably talk circles around Philbin, who likes to be very intentional and thoughtful with his words. The way I look at that scene is that Philbin was assertive and deliberate while being very respectful and meek. Other coaches *cough*like Rex Ryan*cough* would probably have let it slide until it explodes.

WOW!!! Very well said!!!
Let me start by saying I love most of everything I have seen and heard from Philbin before lastnight. He is very detailed, organized, and knows what he wants and has a great plan of how to get it. He seems very inteligent and has been a success every where he has been. But being a leader is a little different. One thing he said in the conversation with Chad that made me cringe was when he made the comment along the lines of, "I'm not running a dictatorship, you can come to me and talk about anything and we will work something out". Well you might not be running a dictatorship but you BETTER not be running a democracy. You won't ever see Coughlin or Belichick taking a poll to see what everyone wants to do. They make a decision and everyone does it plan and simple. While it is fine to be available to your players to hear about their problems he has to make it clear to the players that HE has the final say, and if it is something they don't like, well "TOUGH".

I know this is a little thing, and there was jus a couple of small incidents like this. I also know that this is Philbins first go at HC and he is learning like everyone has to do. But it is worth monitoring. I want to see him make a few tough decisions as a leader, rather than acting like he is apologizing. He did the same thing when talking to the QBs while telling them the depth chart. He looked uncomfortable as if some of them were not going to like it. You can't be worried if those around you like you when you are a leader. There is zero chance that 3 of the 4 of those QBs are going to like not being the starter, so take all the information you have and make the best decision and confidentally pass that info to the ones that need to know it.

As I said to start with, I love Philbin and think he can turn things around. He is very intelligent and has some great ideas. But no one is perfect and he could tighten up some of his leadership qualities IMO. I really don't think you would have ever seen Don Shula handle the Chad situ in that manner. Shula WAS a dictator but he was fair and players could talk to him. And those players would give 110% to be the best they could be. But NOBODY doubted who made the decisions!!!

I get what you are saying. However, I think what was meant may be something along the lines of talk to me if you don't like something. I want my players to bring their issues and concerns to me first. I don't want them talking to their parents, teamates ect about a problem. In Chad's case the media maybe? Most of the time they are not going to like what they hear, but you can at least give them your reasoning and provide ways for them to move closer to their goals or desired outcome. As long as he is honest about the way he sees things that is all a player can ask.

WOW!!! Very well said!!!

I think you're blowing that out of proportion. Did he say he would have a team meeting and decide what to do? If not, then how can you say he'll take a poll to see what everyone wants to do? If you ever watched "It's a football life" with Belichick you would know that he and Tom Brady put the game plan together, Brady makes suggestions and he gives it a yea or nea. He never says "Tom this is the game plan go execute it and don't change a thing"...Good coaches know you can't treat every player the same. What works for one guy may not work for another. Some players may respond to being called out, others go into a shell and stop responding to a coaches instruction because they feel "disrespected".

What I know about Philbin and player relations is that Aaron Rodgers said he commands the room and had all of the players respect on offense. He wasn't the only player from the Packers to say that about Philbin. Some people are going to look for every flaw, every crack in Philbin to try and discredit him...whatever floats your boat. Some people just like to dwell on the negative and overlook the positive. I know that Sherman and Coyle are well respected coordinators cause I've heard former players say as much and I've heard the same about Philbin so I'll take the word of someone who's worked with them day in and day out over someone who thinks they've figured out our coach from one episode of Hard Knocks.

On 790 right now They are talking about how Philbin reminded them of Cam. They are saying that the players dont fear or respect him and Chad is an A hole. Not the latter is probably true but what are you opinions on the new Coach and Staff?

Thanks.
Obvious to me these guys on 790 didn't watch the show last night, or just have no clue what they are talking about. Philbin is not Cam Cameron, he is more of a Tony Dungy.

I wouldn't go that far, but the scene where he interrupted the coaches meeting for no apparent reason would not fly with the likes of bill belichick or tom coughlin. It was a pretty entertaining scene though.

You honestly think he does that if there are no cameras there? I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens if HBO wasn't filming

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

WOW!!! Very well said!!!

Coughlin and Belichick have been coaches in the NFL for a long time. I don't think it's fair to compare them to Philbin.

I believe some people need to actually watch the show, Philbin was not exactly yelling loudly or acting like a crazy person in camp, but he did continually yell at his players to clean things up.

Under his watch, the starting star Corner from last years has been demoted for not taking practice seriously enough.....Cam would never do that

His high profile WR used to many f-bombs while addressing the media, he took him later on to the side, and told him "Using that type of language when in public will not be tolerated, you are a grown man, and can do what you want, but expect consequences"......Cam would never do that.

hahaha all you guys talking about Couglin being such a strict disciplinarian really have no idea about the guy. It's like you pick a championship coach and just insert whatever narrative you want to. Belichick and Coughlin are entirely different coaches, both in our they deal with players and how they manage their game.

It is easier to be an ironclad disciplinarian like Belicheck or Coughlin when you have the weight of supebowl wins to back you up.

I think Philbin has straddled the line between engagement and discipline very well.
Also actions speak louder than words. And Philbin, by his actions, of demoting Vonte has shown that mediocrity will not be tolerated.

to quote Teddy Roosevelt.
speak softly, and carry a big stick

Back
Top Bottom