I don't want the big-name, flashy hire. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I don't want the big-name, flashy hire.

Mage_Phin

All in for Philbin.
Reaction score
Its almost a certainty that that's what Ross ends up doing, but in my opinion, its not the wisest choice. These "proven" guys you all want so much are great head coaches, no doubt about that. But they don't usually have nearly as much success with their new teams, because they've already accomplished so much that they lose that hunger to succeed that made them so great in the first place. No head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams, and I don't think that's just a coincidence. Look at Jimmy Johnson when he came here after winning so much in Dallas. He had a couple of mediocre seasons, so he quit on us and left us with Dave Wannstedt.

Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton etc. etc. weren't huge names when they got hired, but look at them now. Please Stephen Ross, don't just throw money at the big names. Conduct a thorough search and find a star in the making. There are many young, hungry assistant coaches in the NFL that are nipping at the bit to become successful head coaches. Don't give us someone that's just going to cash in, and end up leaving us back in the spot where we are now.

Its almost a certainty that that's what Ross ends up doing, but in my opinion, its not the wisest choice. These "proven" guys you all want so much are great head coaches, no doubt about that. But they don't usually have nearly as much success with their new teams, because they've already accomplished so much that they lose that hunger to succeed that made them so great in the first place. No head coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams, and I don't think that's just a coincidence. Look at Jimmy Johnson when he came here after winning so much in Dallas. He had a couple of mediocre seasons, so he quit on us and left us with Dave Wannstedt.

Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton etc. etc. weren't huge names when they got hired, but look at them now. Please Stephen Ross, don't just throw money at the big names. Conduct a thorough search and find a star in the making. There are many young, hungry assistant coaches in the NFL that are nipping at the bit to become successful head coaches. Don't give us someone that's just going to cash in, and end up leaving us back in the spot where we are now.

perhaps we should go back to Cam Cameron, Tony Sparano 2.0??? because hiring a guy thats never driven the train is such a better option. unbelievable

I am so obsessed right now that after reading that whole post all I got was Andrew Luck in my head

perhaps we should go back to Cam Cameron, Tony Sparano 2.0??? because hiring a guy thats never driven the train is such a better option. unbelievable

That's why I want him to do a thorough search and find the right man for the job. Cameron and Sparano were NEVER NFL HC material, and it would've been obvious had the previous staffs responsible for hiring them been competent and done their homework.

EDIT: Actually I'm sure Parcells got exactly what he wanted out of Sparano. A puppet.

I want an O-line coach that has never led a team b4

yeah because unproven NFL head coaches like Sparano, Cam, and Saban worked out soooooooooooo well!

Please. No more on the job training. Give me a proven NFL head coach with a track record

That's why I want him to do a thorough search and find the right man for the job. Cameron and Sparano were NEVER NFL HC material, and it would've been obvious had the previous staffs responsible for hiring them been competent and done their homework.
So you'd rather trust that whoever is making the decision this time is competent enough to do the correct homework and hire the correct coach who has never done the job before, rather than hiring a very successful head coach and hoping he can be the first of only 12 coaches to win a Super Bowl with two different teams?

I'll put my money on the second scenario. A little more certainty going on there IMO.

Sometimes I think this board is filled with ridiculous ideas simply so that some people can feel unique by having uncommon thoughts.

EDIT: Actually I'm sure Parcells got exactly what he wanted out of Sparano. A puppet.

WHY do we INSIST on trying to reinvent the wheel??? we have guys that are PROVEN winners. Gruden is ONLY 48 -has a TON of coaching left in him, HAS WON at the highest level, and hes done it with two teams (and a point was made about the tuck earlier as well). hes also had an opportunity to survey the coaching landscape, both college and pro, from above and take in new ideas. this guy will be BETTER in his next stop than he was in his previous ones (much like belicheck learned).

its like somebody saying no id rather not take secretariat into the kentucky derby, because hes already done it, he cant do it again, ill go find my own horse. WHAT??????? great logic folks!!

COMPLETE UTTER FAIL of logic and common sense. not to mention IT HASNT WORKED WELL FOR US BEFORE. the ONLY two good coaches weve had were jimmy johnson and DON SHULA and BOTH i might add had been IN THE BIG GAME. u could add nick saban (but he wasnt good at buying groceries) and he had a college ring. ALL THE REST HAVE BEEN COMPLETE FAILURES

SEE THE PATTERN??????? ive got a GREAT idea. lets go out and find a coach with a losing record!!! it makes about the same sense as the logic being applied in our longing for a diamond in the rough.

Cowher and Gruden were "unproven NFL head coaches" at one point. Is it so crazy to want to spend time and resources finding a young, hungry coach over throwing money at someone who has been away from football for years and may very well have lost what made him a great head coach earlier in his career?

You can talk me into Gruden, but I CANNOT be talked into Cowher.

Everybody is looking for the next Mike Tomlin.

John Ramsdell QB coach for the Chargers or Rob Chudzinski TE Chargers

Cowher and Gruden were "unproven NFL head coaches" at one point.
So were Cam Cameron and Tony Sparano.

Is it so crazy to want to spend time and resources finding a young, hungry coach over throwing money at someone who has been away from football for years and may very well have lost what made him a great head coach earlier in his career?
Yes.

I'll risk that the guy who was once ultra-successful has "lost" it, before I risk that some other guy I hire may never have it.

It's a nutty idea, and you need to live with it. Don't expect to convince people of something nutty.

WHY do we INSIST on trying to reinvent the wheel??? we have guys that are PROVEN winners. Gruden is ONLY 48 -has a TON of coaching left in him, HAS WON at the highest level, and hes done it with two teams (and a point was made about the tuck earlier as well). hes also had an opportunity to survey the coaching landscape, both college and pro, from above and take in new ideas. this guy will be BETTER in his next stop than he was in his previous ones (much like belicheck learned).

its like somebody saying no id rather not take secretariat into the kentucky derby, because hes already done it, he cant do it again, ill go find my own horse. WHAT??????? great logic folks!!

COMPLETE UTTER FAIL of logic and common sense. not to mention IT HASNT WORKED WELL FOR US BEFORE. the ONLY two good coaches weve had were jimmy johnson and DON SHULA and BOTH i might add had been IN THE BIG GAME. u could add nick saban (but he wasnt good at buying groceries) and he had a college ring. ALL THE REST HAVE BEEN COMPLETE FAILURES

SEE THE PATTERN??????? ive got a GREAT idea. lets go out and find a coach with a losing record!!! it makes about the same sense as the logic being applied in our longing for a diamond in the rough.

First of all, you really need to calm down. Second of all, what sounds more like reinventing the wheel to you? Attempting to do something that has NEVER worked before, or trying to emulate what the most successful franchises in the NFL right now have done and find our own Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Schwartz etc. etc. It doesn't have to be a "diamond in the rough" if we do our homework.

Back
Top Bottom