I Feel That Penei Sewell... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Feel That Penei Sewell...

I would not complain about Sewell being the pick at #3, but the idea that Smith couldn't also be the pick is outdated thinking. There is no "one way" to build a team. It's always a combination of needs and opportunities. IMO Smith and Sewell are both top 5 players in this draft. WR is a greater need and arguably Smith would have the greater impact.

Who was more valuable to the Dolphins, Richmond Webb or Mark Clayton?

I don't know the answer to that, but a good tackle gives the quarterback more time to throw, a receiver more time to get open etc.

Seconds in the NFL are the difference between big plays for the offense, or big plays for the defense.

I still think the best option for Miami is probably a trade down, then draft a receiver. But if Sewell is the guy, I think he'll make everyone around him better.

My philosophy is that you spend valuable draft assets like very high picks and large amounts of Cap space on players and positions who are hard to find.

A truly exceptional OT is much harder to find than a great WR.

Ask this question, who is the next best OT in this Draft?

There is a much bigger drop from Sewell to the rest of the OT's than there is between the top THREE WR's and the next bunch.

The team should be doing everything with the aim of helping Tua develop as their franchise QB.

It can be argued that an OT would help Tua on every single snap while a WR would contribute much less often even when giving them credit for defense being forced to cover him getting other guys open etc....

IF i can't move down and Sewell is there I think it is an easy call.

There will be good WR options at #18 and later and Miami has the ability to move up from #18 if they really want to grab one of the top 3 WR's.

A truly exceptional OT is much harder to find than a great WR.
Yet is much easier to find than a truly exceptional WR. There are far more Tackles who can imitate what Anthony Munoz did than there are WRs who can imitate what Rice did.

Ask this question, who is the next best OT in this Draft?
Leatherwood....

There is a much bigger drop from Sewell to the rest of the OT's than there is between the top THREE WR's and the next bunch.
Not as big as you make it seem

The team should be doing everything with the aim of helping Tua develop as their franchise QB.
I agree...

Having time to throw to covered WRs makes little sense to me.

Yet is much easier to find than a truly exceptional WR. There are far more Tackles who can imitate what Anthony Munoz did than there are WRs who can imitate what Rice did.

Leatherwood....

Not as big as you make it seem

I agree...

Having time to throw to covered WRs makes little sense to me.
So if they take Sewell they are prevented from adding talent at the WR?

They will just be stuck with what they have no with no recourse to improve the position?

The gap between Sewell and letherwood(who I don't think is the #2 OT anyway)is a lot larger than the gap between Waddle and Marshall/Bateman

So if they take Sewell they are prevented from adding talent at the WR?

They will just be stuck with what they have no with no recourse to improve the position?

The gap between Sewell and letherwood(who I don't think is the #2 OT anyway)is a lot larger than the gap between Waddle and Marshall/Bateman
Highly unlikely they add any talent later that is better than the talent there. Bateman was shut down by Igbo in their bowl game. Igbo can't tie his shoes right now. How does that happen?

In reference to Leatherwood and Sewell. Their common opponent didn't make me look at Sewell as Orlando Pace. It was as good as Leatherwood's, who also has experience playing RG at a high level.

I'm not sure it's true that there's a bigger drop between the top Ts and the top WRs. We know that at least one pundit has Slater above Sewell. I have Smith and Chase as the top tier in terms of talent (Waddle is a tier down simply b/c he hasn't run the full route tree), but in terms of fit and talent, Smith is on a tier by himself. And I don't think it matters b/c I don't expect that we even get a chance at Waddle, much less Smith or Chase, if we pass on WR at 1A. At 18, the most likely WR options are slot types rather than potential #1 types. So we're looking at not addressing our #1 need at all this draft if we pass on WR at 1A.

And I don't have T as a need. I'm happy with Jackson and Hunt. I would like to address interior OL this draft, but I have that need as well below WR and RB. And I see IOL as one of the easier needs to address in FA. WR is a notoriously bad position to address in FA. The #1 WR who make it to FA generally do so b/c they're prima donnas, mal-contents or old and they're all over-priced.

There's an OT out of NorthWestern who handled Chase Young, current NFL DROY, incredibly well in the two times he faced him. Incredibly tape on the guy. Im a big fan of his. He's going to be there @ 2.

Every single year there are guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th that outperform first rounders. Stop falling in love with guys that mock drafts cram down your throats! And if you're comparing cap, you absolutely grab D. Smith right now @ 3. He'll step in day 1 and be a 750 yard receiver. He's likely a top 10 guy from year 2 onward, and then our supporting cast can get built out. You absolutely build around Smith. Even if you're absolutely in love with draft capital, just trade down and grab Chase... because Smith is absolutely going to be the first receiver taken. His tape is insanity.

I haven’t seen a WR take over a game like Smith did in the championship last night in a long time. I don’t know how you even consider spending another 1st rounder on a LT after seeing that unless you are Jeff Ireland. Plus Smith actually played in 2020.

He can definitely move. I bet he runs in the 4.8 range. He looks the part. I don’t see any concerns. Playmaker, difference maker, whatever term you want to use, I’d just say bad ass.

I haven’t seen a WR take over a game like Smith did in the championship last night in a long time. I don’t know how you even consider spending another 1st rounder on a LT after seeing that unless you are Jeff Ireland. Plus Smith actually played in 2020.
He played in a watered down year in which Chase, Parsons, Sewell and eveni his own teammate, Waddle went down. He does not put up the same numbers with Waddle in the lineup.

I don’t know if you knock those guys for not playing or reward Smith because he did. I am a fan of his but not seeing #3 but it is a new day and measurables can change.

I think that any thread that starts out with, "I feel that Penei"... should be moved to the adult area.

Probably not popular opinion, but several don't feel Sewell is the #1 OT in the draft. As mentioned above by Candolphin.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell.

Back
Top Bottom