I figured out Sabans draft startegy...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I figured out Sabans draft startegy......

hweitz14

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It is all designed to trade down out of the #2 slot.

This is exactly what he is thinking.

Cleveland wants Alex Smith. We need to scare Cleveland into thinking either (A) we want Smith or (B) someone else is trying to get into the #2 slot. It is unlikely we can convince Cleveland that we are taking Smith..we cant afford to burn another high pick on a QB. We need to get Cleveland to trade into our spot and hopefully give up a 2rd rounder in the process.

Now we are picking at #3 with pick #34 ours as well.

Now......the rational behind pumping up Braylon Edwards is that he is most coveted player in the draft to two teams that have 2 first rounders Dallas and Minnesota. We need to convince Minnesota that Edwards will not last till #7. Mike Williams wont be there either as he is going to Tampa Bay.

I think Minnesota wants one of the top two WR's bad enough to trade up. The dropoff between Edwards and Williams is so huge that the Vikes may panic and give up nopt only #7 and #18 but #80 as well.

The key is really selling Minnesota that we will take Edwards because nobody else besides Tampa Bay would take a WR with the exception of Chicago.

How would you all feel if we ended up with picks....

Or we may just take Braylon at #2

No chance cleveland will give up their secound the know we are bluffing and they are looking at other Qb's anyway, also i dont see any way we get both of minessaots firsts for our #2, i would take their #7 and their secound rounder personally

I'd swap picks with Clev.and grad thier 3rd for the trouble,and then trade the 3rd
pick in 1st round for Minny's #7 and #18.Plus finally get a second for Surtain.
It's not impossible.

i dont see a huge drop off in WR talent, they could prob get williamson with their 18 and have a slew of choices at 7... i dont think minny will do that... and whos to say cleveland is so enamored about getting a QB? they have lots of holes just like we do to give up draft picks to get a questionable franchise QB? hmmm i dont know

hweitz14 said:
It is all designed to trade down out of the #2 slot.

This is exactly what he is thinking.

Cleveland wants Alex Smith. We need to scare Cleveland into thinking either (A) we want Smith or (B) someone else is trying to get into the #2 slot. It is unlikely we can convince Cleveland that we are taking Smith..we cant afford to burn another high pick on a QB. We need to get Cleveland to trade into our spot and hopefully give up a 2rd rounder in the process.

Now we are picking at #3 with pick #34 ours as well.

Now......the rational behind pumping up Braylon Edwards is that he is most coveted player in the draft to two teams that have 2 first rounders Dallas and Minnesota. We need to convince Minnesota that Edwards will not last till #7. Mike Williams wont be there either as he is going to Tampa Bay.

I think Minnesota wants one of the top two WR's bad enough to trade up. The dropoff between Edwards and Williams is so huge that the Vikes may panic and give up nopt only #7 and #18 but #80 as well.

The key is really selling Minnesota that we will take Edwards because nobody else besides Tampa Bay would take a WR with the exception of Chicago.

How would you all feel if we ended up with picks....

Or we may just take Braylon at #2

Anything is possible, nobody has it figured out.

We can all come up with theories to fit what we hope he'll do.

I personally think the Niners take Rodgers, and we'll either take Smith or Edwards or we'll trade down.

You should not discount a quarterback being taken just because the prior management made a bad trade.

What this team cannot afford to do since it does not have a bonafide starter is a pass on a quarterback as accurate and intelligent as Alex Smith when it has a rare high pick.

hweitz14 said:
...Cleveland wants Alex Smith. We need to scare Cleveland into thinking either (A) we want Smith or (B) someone else is trying to get into the #2 slot. ...
I'm not convinced Cleveland is at all interested in a QB for the top pick. They can get a good 4 years out of Dilfer and concentrate on building a great defense. The last time Savage drafted a QB, he moved up in the first round to take Boller (who is the statistical equivalent to AJ Feeley).

His track record of drafting great defensive players is what propelled his team to the Superbowl. He will likely stick with that model.

Does the chart really apply this year?

hweitz14 said:
your wrong.

#2 is worth #7 and #18
It is only worth what someone else is willing to give you for it. This does not appear to be the year that teams will make the trades they might have made in the past.

PhinstiGator said:
I'm not convinced Cleveland is at all interested in a QB for the top pick. They can get a good 4 years out of Dilfer and concentrate on building a great defense. The last time Savage drafted a QB, he moved up in the first round to take Boller (who is the statistical equivalent to AJ Feeley).

His track record of drafting great defensive players is what propelled his team to the Superbowl. He will likely stick with that model.

You're joking, right?

KyPhinfan13 said:
Although that's a good way of looking at possibly selecting a QB with our first pick, not all theories are good ones. Remember Professor Wannstedt's theory of Run, Run, Pass, Punt?

i think it was pass, run, run, punt

run, run, pass actually makes alittle sence

islandah said:
You think he's got that much left in the tank?
Dilfer has fewer pass attempts than Trent Green and Kerry Collins. He has less than half pass attemts than Favre and Bledsoe. He's only started 20 games in the last 5 years. So, theoretically...he should have a fresh arm. The achilles tendon injury and the tragic death of his son put his career on hold for a few years. Yet, he has recovered his passion for the game.

Obviously, Cleveland is expecting him to play if they were willing to trade a 4th rounder for him when they could have had other capable veterans as a backup at no cost.

"My attitude is, Who cares what people say about me? This isn't about going out and converting the half of the football community that thinks I'm a dog. I believe deep down, more than I've ever believed it, that I can really, really play well, especially in this type of situation: an old-school offense, cold weather, and a team that won't be afraid to throw the ball downfield." (Dilfer)

At age 33, he should have alot in the tank in a time where QB's still approach and surpass the 40 yr old range. (Vinny, Flutie, Gannon)

Back
Top Bottom