I guess we know what Saban likes...BIG guys.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I guess we know what Saban likes...BIG guys..

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
Now that the bulk of free agency & the draft are complete, we have a pretty good idea of what a "Saban-type" player is....

He's big....real damn big..

All the new acquisitions likely to make the roster (except for FB & QB)

Ronnie Brown 6' 0" 233 lbs
Kay Jay Harris 6' 0" 232 lbs...no scatbacks here

Anthony Alabi 6' 5" 310 lbs
Stockar McDougle 6' 6" 335 lbs
Damion Cook 6' 5" 320 lbs...the 3 biggest lineman on the team except for Pape

Vonnie Holliday 6' 5" 290 lbs
Kevin Carter 6' 5" 290 lbs
Matt Roth 6' 4" 278 lbs
Kevin Vickerson 6' 5" 310 lbs...think we'll see any tipped passes? :D

Channing Crowder 6' 2" 252 lbs
Donnie Spragan 6' 3" 240 lbs...the biggest LB's on the team except for Seau

Travis Daniels 6' 1" 194 lbs
Mario Edwards 6' 0" 200 lbs...the 2 biggest CB's on the team

Mitch Meeuwsen 6' 2" 212 lbs
Tebucky Jones 6' 2" 220 lbs
Traveres Tillman 6' 1" 190 lbs...all are taller than Knight & Freeman

Now the only question is...what difference will all of this make when it comes to wins & losses?

I guess we have to wait and see don't we?

Saban knows what he does...don't think he is another Wanndstedt...he is simply awesome...If he needs to he will get JT and ZT out of the team...He will win...and win big...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiribean said:
I guess we have to wait and see don't we?

Saban knows what he does...don't think he is another Wanndstedt...he is simply awesome...If he needs to he will get JT and ZT out of the team...He will win...and win big...
What I was aiming for was how you think the added size will affect the team..good or bad.

we will see about how the size of our players will effect our wins and lossess... but i can tell u one thing it will effect... the team trainers of our oppontents! they are gunna be workin overtime on their players after a game with us! :evil:

Nasty

Gladsadmad said:
What I was aiming for was how you think the added size will affect the team..good or bad.

Well, as Saban said...it's kind of a Crapshoot...players can be as big as Andre the Giant, but if they don't buy into the system, they wont produce. But let me assure you one thing...Saban is not a fool and don't ever tell him that. He knows exactly what to do to win and with his guys....big ol' guys...he will dominate and they are gonna love it. As soon as one of his players shows ego....BOOT....I tell, he ain't messing around man...he is one savvy coach and very much in touch with the realities of what it takes to win.

Hope the size, as FinNAsty said, will put the opposin team to work and nervous...but I believe it will be his playbook the one that will be the strongest part of his scheme...You'll see

Nick, as I have sai before, is a MIracle Worker

FinNasty23 said:
we will see about how the size of our players will effect our wins and lossess... but i can tell u one thing it will effect... the team trainers of our oppontents! they are gunna be workin overtime on their players after a game with us! :evil:

Nasty
that's a good point....reminiscent of what Saban said about what Ronnie Brown did to his LSU team...beat 'em up.

Saban likes... BIG guys

AJ Feeley: 6'3" 225lbs
Gus Frerotte: 6'3" 237lbs (according to some sites, lists him exactly at 225lbs)

Saban likes... BIG guys. Keep that in mind when we're trying to figure out who our starting QB should be. It looks like it's going to be a close QB competition. :wink:

Chiribean said:
Well, as Saban said...it's kind of a Crapshoot...players can be as big as Andre the Giant, but if they don't buy into the system, they wont produce. But let me assure you one thing...Saban is not a fool and don't ever tell him that. He knows exactly what to do to win and with his guys....big ol' guys...he will dominate and they are gonna love it. As soon as one of his players shows ego....BOOT....I tell, he ain't messing around man...he is one savvy coach and very much in touch with the realities of what it takes to win.

Hope the size, as FinNAsty said, will put the opposin team to work and nervous...but I believe it will be his playbook the one that will be the strongest part of his scheme...You'll see

Nick, as I have sai before, is a MIracle Worker
That's true...thanks

I have a good feeling about one area that added alot of size...the D-Line. I can see alot of deflected passes and much more strength at the point of attack when we have 290 lb Holiday or Carter in there at DE.

Well hopefully, we will not get pushed around up front like we did last year. This year, every team will know when they play us, it will be a physically punishing game.

Big guys = Punishment

By the end of the 3rd they'll be wanting to quit :wink:

Hopefully we can tire some people out to where we can just come out of nowhere in the 4th.

Saban is building a smashmouth physical team...a team that will pound you into submission.

As long as everyone buys into the system and does their job I see us being a second half football team that wears you down and scores plenty of points later in the game.

I think its a bad omen for the short active LBs and DBs that Wanny liked.

i forget who said it....but some coach said

by the end of the game, fast guys slow down

big guys stay big

explains why our 'finesse' defense always fell apart in the last 2 minutes before

Well, I also believe with the added size it will allow our defenses to stay fresh all season and not wear down at the end of games and the end of the season alike.

It will also allow versatility with the type of defenses we play. With our fast but small LB's we were pretty much locked into the type of scheme we'd employ when they were out there.

With bigger D-lineman and LB's we should be able to mix it up more. The secondary will probably still be a press team with the corners, but we should add some thunder from teh safety play. (I never was impressed with Knight)

Back
Top Bottom