I hope history don't repeat itself. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I hope history don't repeat itself.

Remember years ago the Dolphins coach was Nick Saban and he had to decide which Quarterback to chose in the 2006 Free Agency. He was told by the Medical Doctors the injuries of Drew Brees and Dante Culpepper. I don't need to tell you if the Dolphins made the right decision do I? I hope the Dolphins Brass get experts on the condition of Tua before going all in.

The problem is doctor's are human. They tend to go with the more conservative guess. CYOA. People like to dis (correctly) Miami's medical staff, but they had reports from outside experts to help in the evaluation.

As for evaluating anything related to the human body, the variables are endless. Worse, the judgement of any evaluation can't be made until hindsight is available. What will be interesting is how every team evaluates Tua. I doubt one will pass and the others see return to perfect health.

Put me in the camp that wanted Culpepper over Brees. He was coming off a less significant injury and possessed superior talent to Brees at the time.

If we get Tua this front office better invest heavily in the oline or we will be looking for another QB all over again in a couple years.
We better do that regardless of who the QB is moving forward. That is not Tua specific, or optional.

It doesn't have to be a finished product, nor is it likely to be, this season. I expect at least two, maybe even three rookies to make the roster. They will take time, and make mistakes. A couple FAs coming in means a lot of guys who have never played together. It takes time to gel.

2021 it needs to be a qualty unit.

The problem is doctor's are human. They tend to go with the more conservative guess. CYOA. People like to dis (correctly) Miami's medical staff, but they had reports from outside experts to help in the evaluation.

As for evaluating anything related to the human body, the variables are endless. Worse, the judgement of any evaluation can't be made until hindsight is available. What will be interesting is how every team evaluates Tua. I doubt one will pass and the others see return to perfect health.
Yes, it wasn't like the decision was made in a vacuum. Hindsight is 2020 on this one. The prevailing thought by a majority was that Brees' injury was quite serious, and there was a real possibility that he would never be the same.

At the same time, Culpepper's injury was thought to be a nonfactor.

What wasn't a non factor, however, was that Culpepper was overrated on talent. That was the real incompetence of the situation.

It was obvious to a lot of ppl that Dante benifitted from a very weak division, and a lot of his stats and credibility came via throwing it up and watching Randy go get it.

The choice at that time was between two free agent QB’s who were free to sign with any team that had interest in them. If the Dolphins stay at 5, they will only have to make a decision on which QB to take if
teams above them in the draft haven’t already drafted Tua. I think the Lions drafting Tua and letting him sit out and fully recover from his hip surgery is a real possibility. So the Dolphins might just be deciding on drafting Herbert or Love at 5 or instead drafting someone like Simmons with the 5th pick.

I don't think Tua Dad will allow him to play in Detroit. He runs everything, and will do what's needed to get him to Miami or LA IMO.

The question I keep asking myself is that if Tua falls, is that an indictment of his health? I'd hate to pass on Tua at 5 but if he's scaring away QB needy teams, should we pass as well? There is no way I'm passing on Tua at 5.

Teams are going to evaluate, re-evaluate, over-evaluate Tua's health. I don't see how anyone could get it wrong. What is really discouraging is that you are absolutely right, hindsight will only tell the tale.

Put me in the camp that wanted Culpepper over Brees. He was coming off a less significant injury and possessed superior talent to Brees at the time.
He wasn't exactly tearing it up before the knee injury in fact he was atrocious.

The question I keep asking myself is that if Tua falls, is that an indictment of his health? I'd hate to pass on Tua at 5 but if he's scaring away QB needy teams, should we pass as well? There is no way I'm passing on Tua at 5.

Teams are going to evaluate, re-evaluate, over-evaluate Tua's health. I don't see how anyone could get it wrong. What is really discouraging is that you are absolutely right, hindsight will only tell the tale.

That's why I included " I doubt one will pass and the others see return to perfect health." For now, I expect an encouraging report with the possible qualifier of 'needs more time to get back to peak performance.' Thus, I expect evaluation by all teams to be in the same general vicinity.
The good? news is, SOME think Tua may fall to #5 because the 1st 4 teams will take Burrow or another position - not because of medical. I'm not as optimistic. Nonetheless, all any team will do is tentative rankings until more is known and the little physical work Tua will show. At that point, it's down to judgement calls and risk.
The bad news is all it takes is one fall or one pessimistic report and all the above changes. Barring quadriplegia, I don't see him out of R1, but a number of teams will shy away. What will Miami do? No idae, but for now I think it's even odds - Tua or herbert

The majority of us, if not all, have complained in the past about the Dolphins drafting oft-injured players with high picks. I don't want us to do it now either. Obviously we need a franchise QB. A franchise QB isn't only defined as someone who plays consistently great and elevates the play of his team. It's also about dependability (not missing games consistently) and longevity. The majority of the board seem to be on the Tua train, though some have cooled on it a bit since his latest injury. I wasn't all in on him even before the latest injury, but that's another topic altogether. What I'm getting at, I guess, is why are so many willing to take this risk with such a high pick on a guy who has proven to be somewhat fragile? And this latest injury could be a long term, nagging injury. I can't get on board with that. And to top it off, there is talk of us trading up for him!? No way. That's far too much to invest in a player who comes with a LOT of injury question marks and a lot of "hopefully"s. Especially at the most important position.

If we get Tua this front office better invest heavily in the oline or we will be looking for another QB all over again in a couple years.
YES! Yet one of the many, many reasons I don't think we should touch Tua in this draft.

Remember years ago the Dolphins coach was Nick Saban and he had to decide which Quarterback to chose in the 2006 Free Agency. He was told by the Medical Doctors the injuries of Drew Brees and Dante Culpepper. I don't need to tell you if the Dolphins made the right decision do I? I hope the Dolphins Brass get experts on the condition of Tua before going all in.
I needed another Tua thread like I need another,,,,

The choice at that time was between two free agent QB’s who were free to sign with any team that had interest in them. If the Dolphins stay at 5, they will only have to make a decision on which QB to take if
teams above them in the draft haven’t already drafted Tua. I think the Lions drafting Tua and letting him sit out and fully recover from his hip surgery is a real possibility. So the Dolphins might just be deciding on drafting Herbert or Love at 5 or instead drafting someone like Simmons with the 5th pick.

Maybe...I’m not convinced Patricia will risk drafting Tua for the next coach.... not with his injury prone history and that he will be of no use in 2020 for the most part.

I more likely seeing Detroit trading out for the best offer. Miami will probably get a reasonable deal to move up as the risk of Tua will make all teams a bit Leary.

Back
Top Bottom