I hope we lose to the Jets | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I hope we lose to the Jets

The bottom line is none of this matters. Fans don’t need to be forward thinking because our rooting interests have no affect on the outcome of the games. I never understood rooting against your team for draft reasons because it doesn’t help. No matter who we root for the chips will always fall as they may. There is no reason to try to seem super smart on message forums by telling everyone to root for their team to lose because it may help the future. Our rooting interests help nothing, I can’t stress that enough. This, “root for us to lose so another team can’t draft player X or so we can draft player Y” is a complete waste of time. A game you can play to drive yourself nuts or try to look smart and forward thinking on a fan site. It doesn’t help, that’s the bottom line. I don’t understand why some folks don’t get that.

While I’m on it fans telling other fans not to “overlook” an opponent is the same idea. We can overlook the rest of the schedule, the predicted playoff teams and go right to who will beat in the Super Bowl and again it affects nothing.

Last edited:
I'd be stunned if we lost to the jets. They look worse than we did at the end of gases tneure here. He crippled not only their ability to play football, but also the confidence. They can have Trevor all they want, it won't fix the dysfunction that is poisoning that franchise.

Jets are terrible. They are picking top 3 no matter what in my opinion.

So they will most likely be getting either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

Currentness means nothing. If Lawrence is a generational talent it shows quickly and trivializes all personnel and coaching matters around him. The Jets instantly have their pick of coaches, including someone like Urban Meyer.

I will never understand why so many get totally stuck in here and now, without logical clarity forward. It doesn't matter what any of us think of Trevor Lawrence. He was dominant in high school and has been dominant in college. I remember the same nitpicking of his game in the Army All-American high school all star game, that it wouldn't translate to college. One year later Lawrence wiped out Alabama for the national title.

I'm not rooting for the Jets, even though I like them and will have a wager on them. But it's silly not to concede that the OP has a valid point. Down the road nobody will give a flip about the Dolphins/Jets outcome of October 2020. They will give a flip about the 2021 NFL Draft and where the super blue chip quarterback falls.
They drafted a QB in the top 3 just a couple years ago and it got them Adam Gase.

Who cares about the Jets.

Something people forget is Lawrence is a junior, pretty much a lock to go #1 in 21 or 22. He could just say I’m not going to the Jets and will return to Clemson. Oh that would be so Jets for that to happen.

Lawrence under pressure is not that accurate. Beat the jets. Lawrence is no joe Namath.

Marino is one of the greatest qbs ever and never won a super bowl.
If the Jets do draft Lawrence, they better hope he is no Namath. Because Namath is the most overhyped QB in NFL history. His entire career is seen through the prism of the SB in which the Jets beat the Colts. Otherwise he was just a mediocre QB during his career. His completion percentage for his entire career was 50%. He threw 47 more interceptions than TD passes during his career and the teams he played on had a winning percentage just under 50% over the course of his career.

He received a lot of hype because he played in New York. Yet his career doesn’t come close to matching up to the top QB’s who have played in the NFL. In fact to me he wasn’t even as good as Fitzpatrick, when you compare their career stats. So if the Jets do end up drafting Lawrence, their fans better hope he is no Joe Namath.

Something people forget is Lawrence is a junior, pretty much a lock to go #1 in 21 or 22. He could just say I’m not going to the Jets and will return to Clemson. Oh that would be so Jets for that to happen.
That isn’t going to happen. Lawrence is going to declare for the draft no matter which team has the top pick in the draft. He has nothing more to prove at the college level and 2020 has showed him as well as the rest of us that nothing is guaranteed for the future. In fact I believe he would have declared for the draft after the 2019 season if had been eligible to do so. We will just have to get used to facing him twice a year for the next decade or more. It will be fun watching him and Tua compete against one another as they did in college.

If the Jets do draft Lawrence, they better hope he is no Namath. Because Namath is the most overhyped QB in NFL history. His entire career is seen through the prism of the SB in which the Jets beat the Colts. Otherwise he was just a mediocre QB during his career. His completion percentage for his entire career was 50%. He threw 47 more interceptions than TD passes during his career and the teams he played on had a winning percentage just under 50% over the course of his career.

He received a lot of hype because he played in New York. Yet his career doesn’t come close to matching up to the top QB’s who have played in the NFL. In fact to me he wasn’t even as good as Fitzpatrick, when you compare their career stats. So if the Jets do end up drafting Lawrence, their fans better hope he is no Joe Namath.

You absolutely cannot compare the era of today and a player like Fitz to the era Joe Namath played in. It is substantially easier to throw the ball today than it was back than. Kirk Cousins career QB rating of 96.4 and TD% of 5.0% compared to Marinos QB rating of 86.4 and TD% of 5.0% should tell u everything you need to know about this era. Namath's era was even tougher than Marino's for the pass offense.

If the Jets manage the obtain the #1 pick, the Jets head coaching job will be highly sought after. The opportunity to start a team from scratch armed with one of the best prospects in many years... in such a huge media market. Gold.

They'll be two to three years behind us in their rebuild, but the coach-player combination would lend itself to the belief that they'd be dangerous.

4 pro bowl, 1 all pro.

I think you are right to an extent, but also missing some things.

His overall career was underwhelming, but before his knees were shot, early in his career, he was damn good.

Don Shula once commented that it was like he was "throwing darts", when discussing his early years, trying to defend him.

I'm not a big Namath fan either, but his career trajectory is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom